Pristine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bassetluv!! I needed that. :) I feel a lot better now. I can't have her spayed tomorrow. Now I feel like I just wasted everybody's time. I'm sorry. I'm just not ready for her to go through this. You should have seen her last night. She was sooooooooooooooooooo cute. I love this bunny so much. I'm going to give it a little while yet.

lissa, i totally see where you're coming from. having my first rabbit ever, die of uterine cancer, i of course say that all female pet rabbits should be spayed by a knowledgable rabbit vet who does them on a very regular basis. i can get into more detail about my sweet mini lop who died from it, but i don't want to depress you. of course, from my personal experience, i'm going to have every one of my female rabbits in the future spayed. maybe you're getting bad feelings about this certain vet, did she spay your other bun? did they do bloodwork on pristine? did you know that some bloodwork can actually see if your baby will do perfect under anesthetic? these cost more, butthey put us bunny mom's under a lot less stress :) if you don't feel you're ready, i completely understand.. but i do feel it's necessary to have your baby spayed.

I certainly understand, Lissa.

...when you're ready.

~Jim

FlopsnWills wrote:
lissa, i totally see where you're coming from. having my first rabbit ever, die of uterine cancer, i of course say that all female pet rabbits should be spayed by a knowledgable rabbit vet who does them on a very regular basis. i can get into more detail about my sweet mini lop who died from it, but i don't want to depress you. of course, from my personal experience, i'm going to have every one of my female rabbits in the future spayed. maybe you're getting bad feelings about this certain vet, did she spay your other bun? did they do bloodwork on pristine? did you know that some bloodwork can actually see if your baby will do perfect under anesthetic? these cost more, butthey put us bunny mom's under a lot less stress :) if you don't feel you're ready, i completely understand.. but i do feel it's necessary to have your baby spayed.
I'm so sorry about your bunny that died. How tragic. :(

The vet I go to has done two spays on my other two rabbits and both survived. Bloodwork was done in both instances. I trust her completely, but it's just that I'm not ready for her to be spayed yet. I'm such a wimp.

Hi Lissa. I've just read this whole thread, and I'm glad you postponed if you felt you needed more time. I know a few weeks back, my husband and I noticed Thor was peeing/pooping etc. all over the place..and she'd never done this in the last 4.5 years! We used some common sense...rearranged the furniture, and limited petting/ affection time for her, and now we haven't noticed any of the same 'bad' behaviours. We never considered spaying Thor; we don't want too. We also truly doubt she'll ever be that close to a male rabbit. She has a lovely disposition; not overly friendly, but quite accepting and very deeply communicative. She was taken from her mama and siblings when she was 3 weeks old. She's always been a bit hesitant about things, but with enough time and encouragement, she's my proof that you can do anything if you only believe! Well, sorry I went off topic, but if you have doubts, than maybe that's your inner voice talking to you. You need to be completely sure. Take care, Lissa.

I'm sorry, Lissa, I guess I skipped over you saying that you changed your mind. You definitely need to do what you feel is right, and I don't blame you at all for postponing.

Lissa wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm just really questioning whether spaying/neutering is even necessary. I know there is proof that it prevents uterine cancer, but what are the actual statistics of rabbits that get uterine cancer after 1 year? Does anyone know? I just don't know if it's worth the pain given rabbit's short life span.
I had Bunny spayed and she was a year to a year and a half old and already had a cancerous tumor in her oneuterine. We apparently got it bevore it spread.

Ed

Oh Lissa, how brave of you! And you'll be ableto spend the whole weekend with Pristine helping her recover. I hopeyou don't worry too much until then but I guess that's probably easiersaid than done!

Lissa -

I will be praying for you and your baby this week, both that you wouldhave comfort and peace of mind, and that Pristine will have a quickrecovery.

I know this isn't easy for you :hug2

Thanks!

It was so funny last night Jason opened the refrigerator and Pristinestuck her head in the door, grabbed the entire bag of grapesand took off! HAHAHA

She LOVES grapes! Of course she got one after that. It was so cute!! :)

Hi Lissa :)

I totally understand where you're coming from.
Sunny has been scheduled for her spay 3 times now, and I've postponedeach time. Now, she's going in on the 31st. Again, I'mconsidering calling her vet to cancel/postpone again!
She's so trusting, and I'm terrified she'll lose that, thinking I brought her somewhere that caused her pain/anxiety.
She recently (last 2 weeks) started pooping, peeing everywhere, doingthis weird circling thing around my feet, and is becomingaggressive....I think it's time (she's 6 months old).
Plus, I've read about the uterine cancer thing and it scares me!

I think all of us just love our little girls toomuch. I am just as scared to get Mocha spayed, but I know itsfor the best. I have a couple more months until she gets theprocedure. I'm getting it done at the animal hospital that I work atand I have been bugging everyone there asking if the doctor who will bedoing her spay has done a lot of them and if she is a goodveterinarian. I think they all just want to tell me to shut up and stopworrying. but I can't help it, I don't know what I'll do if anythinghappened to my Mocha :(

Latest posts

Back