Pricing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppalove

Reaction score
When you are a brand new rabbitry, how do you establish your prices? I was thinking $40 for my babies. Is that too low? Too high?Both parents have been shown and are pedigreed, they are english lops. Do you go by breed averages when establishing your prices? Does the fact that you are a new rabbitry have anything to do with your pricing because your name isnt proven? Babies that i have seen range anywhere from $45 to $250 for a proven buck or doe...

thanks in advance

People are often more willing to shell out big bucks to the big name breeders. However, it's very important that you are able to accurately assess your stock to determine fair and reasonable prices. If the rabbit has poor type or a disqualification and isn't something that you'd want to exhibit, than you shouldn't expect someone else to pay much for the rabbit either. On the other hand, if you have a quality animal that has proven itself showing, it will be an animal that is in more demand and would command a higher price.

Pam

Hollands are known as one of the most expensive breeds out there. Generally, brood Hollands go for between $60-100. You could get a GC Mini Lop with 8 legs and 4 BIS's for that price. LOL! So breed plays a role in price.

But I price based on what I would personally pay for the rabbit. For example, I have a proven, show quality doe right now who I feel is worth (according to general Holland pricing)between $125-150 based on her age, mothering skills, type, pedigree, etc. However, I think that's outrageous to pay for a doe. So I have her priced at $100, because I feel that it is a fair price that reflects her quality and it is also a price that I would not mind paying for her. I also have a brood doe for sale who, again, through general Holland pricing would start at $60+. However, I have her priced at $30 because she is still unproven and I personally wouldn't want to pay a ton for an unproven junior brood. I think pricing this way keeps you grounded because you don't get caught up in the fact that you could be getting x amount for the rabbit. And instead, you're pricing fairly, based on the amount that you would be willing to pay.:)

I always have trouble figuring out how much I'm going to price my animals. You don't want to price them too low, or too high.

For pet rabbits, it's a solid $20; just to insure they're not going to a home where they're going to become food, etc. If pet rabbits have a ped, then they'll come with it for an extra $5. If they don't have a ped, then they don't go with one.
For rabbits who are show quality, the pricing is $35 and up. For brood/stud rabbits, the price is $30 and up. Because a brood/stud could also be a show rabbit, their prices are within the same ranges.

For my EL's I ask more because they are a larger rabbit. Sippi and Minnie are actually looking for new homes right now, and Minnie's price is $45, and Sippi's is $35. Sippi's is low because he's not showable. He could be a stud buck, even though both the litters he sired (one which was accidently) died. So he's kind of going as pet/stud buck. I've had inquiries on him for stud though.

Minnie's is higher because she has proven herself on the show table. She doesn't have many wins, but she has won BOB a few times. So she is showable, and once again she could be a brood doe, but she had complications with birthing her first litter, so it could be dangerous unless the breeder had experience.

The Mini Rex I have for sale, I'm asking $40 for the show/stud/brood animals. The one that isn't as nice as the others, I have at $25; he will come with his ped, too. Making him pet quality, but he can still be shown in 4-H in the pet class or even the type class. He got a blue at county fair, so he could improve over time, but I don't think by much.

I agree with OakRidge, about pricing rabbits for the price you would pay for them. ;) Her method sounds really good!

Emily

I price my rabbits just as OakRidge. But I have a sort of guide as well...

Pet - $15
4-H - $20 and up
Breeding - $25 and up
Show - $30 and up
Herd Buck - $50 and up

thats what I go by with my mini rex & E. Spots. I'm still deciding how to price my velveteens.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
But I price based on what I would personally pay for the rabbit.

:yeahthat: This is an excellent way to set fair and reasonable prices!

Pam

Quality needs to be taken into account first IMO, if the rabbit has any known faults or disqualifications then it really doesn't seem right to charge much for a rabbit that cannot be shown. But you need to learn to evaluate your own stock with a critical eye or have another do it for you. I have never charged more for a rabbit then I myself would be willing to pay for it.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Hollands are known as one of the most expensive breeds out there. Generally, brood Hollands go for between $60-100. You could get a GC Mini Lop with 8 legs and 4 BIS's for that price. LOL! So breed plays a role in price.

I think it also depends on your location and what is available. In Montana there seems to be a lot of Hollands and they are selling for about $10-15 pet quality and for a good proven show or brood Holland you will pay about $40.

Definetly depends on the area as far as breeds. The holland lop is fairly cheap and easy to get ahold of here. I wish they weren't really as too many people have them up for rehoming here... Very sad.

Something to think about: I also have a pricing bracket based on age and "class"

example:

"A" class- top show rabbits

"B" class- moderate show rabbits, brooders

"C" class- brood, pet, meat

and ages would be like 3-4 months, 5-6 months and over 6 months. The only "C" class rabbits I would have would be 3-4 month old (culled after that). I believe that "C" class for pet starts out at $15, B- $20 A-$25 for 3-4 month rabbits

5-6 months: B class: $35, A class- $40

Over six months: proven show quality does $75 to $100, stud bucks $50-$75

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
I would easily pay between $50 to $150 for a nice English Lop. They are hard to find around here so that could be why I'm willing to pay that much :p But it depends how good the parents were & how common they are in your area :)

It might just be in my area, but I don't think EL's go for much over $75? I could be wrong though ;) I know a great breeder from Oregon and I think her EL's are bit more costly, but so worth it as they kick butt on the show table. I bought both my EL's for $40.

Emily

I base my pricing on how well the Parents have shown. If the parents are GC's then the price will be more than a rabbit that has parents that have shown just okay.

Thats just me though :)

Latest posts

Back