Prgnant bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had her for 4 weeks but unsure of when she became pregnant.

I have had her for 4 weeks but unsure of when she became pregnant.
Okay. I’d give her the whole of this week to give birth and of course, if she shows signs of being off, or being sick. I’d take her to the vet. For now, don’t bother her too much, check up on her a few times of day and do your usual stuff, clean her bowls, feed her, refresh her hay. But I wouldn’t expect her to want to go out to play or anything like that.

Okay. I’d give her the whole of this week to give birth and of course, if she shows signs of being off, or being sick. I’d take her to the vet. For now, don’t bother her too much, check up on her a few times of day and do your usual stuff, clean her bowls, feed her, refresh her hay. But I wouldn’t expect her to want to go out to play or anything like that.
I have been lettong her into her pen that is attached to her hutch. Is that ok? I dont have a rabbit savy vet around. The closest one is Michigan and im in Minnesota. With boarders closed it is almost impossible to get her to a vet. Animals are deemed as "non essential" in MN. so vets are closed around me.

I have been lettong her into her pen that is attached to her hutch. Is that ok? I dont have a rabbit savy vet around. The closest one is Michigan and im in Minnesota. With boarders closed it is almost impossible to get her to a vet. Animals are deemed as "non essential" in MN. so vets are closed around me.
It’s okay if she wants to go outside but I wouldn’t force her to do it. Just leave the door open and if she hops out, that’s okay. Wow, I’ve not heard of animals being non essential before! In England, vets are open for emergency appointments and even so, I was able to take Apollo to the vet when it wasn’t necessarily an emergency.

It’s okay if she wants to go outside but I wouldn’t force her to do it. Just leave the door open and if she hops out, that’s okay. Wow, I’ve not heard of animals being non essential before! In England, vets are open for emergency appointments and even so, I was able to take Apollo to the vet when it wasn’t necessarily an emergency.
Only farm animals are essential here. Quick question. Is it ok to put baking soda in her litter to help the smell. She has very smelly urine and has stuck up the cage even with me washing her potty box weekly and cleaning it daily.

I wouldn’t put baking soda in her litter. If you clean it with baking soda, be sure to rinse it out well.
What litter are you using?
I would line her litterbox with a puppy pad, and then add a layer of wood pelleted cat litter, and hay on top of that.

Currently its wood pellets mixed with hay on top and the bottom is lined with a layer of pine wood shavings.
I wouldn’t put baking soda in her litter. If you clean it with baking soda, be sure to rinse it out well.
What litter are you using?
I would line her litterbox with a puppy pad, and then add a layer of wood pelleted cat litter, and hay on top of that.

I have paper pellets but havent used them yet. As im not out of her other littler yet.

I have felt her tummy and I did feel something but then she bit me so i left it alone. She is still making a nest. Im just confused because she started pulling hair the 14th of April and its now the 25th. My past rabbits would have had the babes by now. I do understand every bun is different but what i have read she should have had them within a week of pulling fur. Could she just be preparing early?

She has been attacking me to point of where my family is saying enough... Once she has babies she may have to go...

She has been attacking me to point of where my family is saying enough... Once she has babies she may have to go...
If she’s attacking you it’s likely that she’s hormonal and protective. Almost as soon as she has the babies, she’ll calm right down. You have to understand that she’s really stressed but she’ll go back to normal.

If she is pregnant or if it it just a fake pregnancy, she is hormonal and she attacks you because of that, when she gives birth or goes back to normal after fake, she will stop that. But you have to give her some peace don't pick her up because she can become aggressive for longer time. You need to respect her privacy or she will get defensive, she bites to protect herself from you. It's normal and you are wrong in this situation.

Your nest is looking good, I would use longer hay and softer because it will be softer for babies, but she should pull more fur, maybe just before or soon after kindling so should be fine.

Soda is not good, if you use wood pellets and change her litter every 3 days it shouldn't smell, maybe her litterbox is too small or something? Can you post some pics of her setup?

When you change litterbox you can use white vinegar 5 % for cleaning, doesn't need rinsing and it is harmless for rabbits and removes urine smell very well. I use 5 % distilled white vinegar I buy from food store, I added a spray nozzle to bottle and it is very easy to use and works well.

Sometimes I also put a very thin layer of shavings under wood pellets because they stay in place better then, but not too much as wood pellets absorb urine better and neutralise smell.

If you want to cover her cage or where she is with a blanket or something like cardboard so she can feel safe in there and leave her alone, only bring her food and water twice a day, don't take her out. No bright light and reduce noise around her, make sure she has her safe private area around the nest and no one is watching her.

She turned 7 months on the 11th of April and i got her the 27th of march.. So a few days over 6 months.. I posted in another of my threads that she has pulled more fur.. She is currently rearranging het blankets and picking up hay.. Its not a large ammount of fur but it about a palm size ammount of my hand. I didnt touch the fur just left it and will put it in a nest box when i get it tonight.. She has a pretty round hard tummy. She didnt like me feeling it and nipped at me so i left her alone so i dont stress her out.

Any tips and advice for keeping her comfy and what to put in the nest box.. I havent had babies for over 3 years so any advice and help is apprieaciated!
If you got her 27 March and she pulled fur about two weeks ago it could be fake pregnancy as well, usually they start nesting around day 17 if fake but then back to normal in a couple days, but can be true pregnancy as well.
Wait until 28 April at least or even add one week to that date (sometimes more but rarely, could be up to 43 days I heard). Don't stress her, if she doesn't feel safe she can even absorb fetuses happens sometimes, so give her privacy and lots of hay and water, she will drink more water when it begins and she can eat less one-two days before that, give her some fresh herbs, fennel is good for pregnant, coriander and romaine lettuce are always good, keep us updated and good luck.

If she’s attacking you it’s likely that she’s hormonal and protective. Almost as soon as she has the babies, she’ll calm right down. You have to understand that she’s really stressed but she’ll go back to normal.
I understand that its my family that doesnt.
If she is pregnant or if it it just a fake pregnancy, she is hormonal and she attacks you because of that, when she gives birth or goes back to normal after fake, she will stop that. But you have to give her some peace don't pick her up because she can become aggressive for longer time. You need to respect her privacy or she will get defensive, she bites to protect herself from you. It's normal and you are wrong in this situation.

Your nest is looking good, I would use longer hay and softer because it will be softer for babies, but she should pull more fur, maybe just before or soon after kindling so should be fine.

Soda is not good, if you use wood pellets and change her litter every 3 days it shouldn't smell, maybe her litterbox is too small or something? Can you post some pics of her setup?

When you change litterbox you can use white vinegar 5 % for cleaning, doesn't need rinsing and it is harmless for rabbits and removes urine smell very well. I use 5 % distilled white vinegar I buy from food store, I added a spray nozzle to bottle and it is very easy to use and works well.

Sometimes I also put a very thin layer of shavings under wood pellets because they stay in place better then, but not too much as wood pellets absorb urine better and neutralise smell.

If you want to cover her cage or where she is with a blanket or something like cardboard so she can feel safe in there and leave her alone, only bring her food and water twice a day, don't take her out. No bright light and reduce noise around her, make sure she has her safe private area around the nest and no one is watching her.
Thank you. I have been keeping my contact with her to a minimum. I only give pets if she comes up to me and nudges me and reach into her hutch when nessacary.

Back