Pressure Sores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just browsing through Kathy Smith's Rabbit Care in the 21st Century, and noted that she strongly promoted the use of imitation sheepskin rugs to wick away urine; keeps rabbit dry & comfy.

Can get a pile and switch them out regularly. Machine washable too :).

tonyshuman wrote:
Silver sulfadizine (?) cream was what I thought of too. I agree that those wounds may need to be cleaned out and dressed in order to get them to heal, and she may need systemic antibiotics. Does she not lay on her belly, but just on either her right or left side?

Vet bed is also a good option as it is very good at wicking away the moisture.

I'm amazed at all the good input we have here on pressure sores, both human and animal! I think all the things Kelly said about human pressure sores do apply. I have used something called moleskin before to protect blisters on my feet in the way she was talking about before. It's sticky on one side and cushy on the other. That would require shaving around the wound though.

I have used moleskin with sores on my feet before - I am wondering if they come in different thicknesses - the ones for my feet would not stand up to weight being on them.

Good luck with Monsters...:pray:

Denise

Hmm. Imitation Sheepskin rugs. Would you know where to find that? I'll do anything to help my little girl feel comfortable.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Was just browsing through Kathy Smith's Rabbit Care in the 21st Century, and noted that she strongly promoted the use of imitation sheepskin rugs to wick away urine; keeps rabbit dry & comfy.

Can get a pile and switch them out regularly. Machine washable too :).

I did buy one of the sheep skin rugs and try it. I'm keeping Sawyer with Smitten because he does help keep her clean, especially her ears. I would have a hard to breaking them up as they are so bonded. I believe he is one of the reasons why she hasn't given up.

I would look in the car accessory section: many folks use imitation sheepskin as car seat covers.

You might find imitation sheepskin inside a coat at the Thrift store/Salvation Army.

Also used for dog beds.

Maybe even just at the fabric store :)

Monsters in deed looked like her big sore was a pressure sore as that's the side she always on. We were instructed to make her bed a bit more padded so she has some padding under her to flip her a bit more so she's not lying on her right side all day.

The vet pealed the scab off her big sore and cleaned it and put a bandaged with some sort of cream on it. She told us to keep the bandaged on for a couple of days then to apply a small compress on it for 10 to 15 mins 2 or 3 times a day. The compress is to soaked with water and epson salt I would imagine.

Monster has put on .02kg since last week. It's not much but at least it didn't go down.

I asked about using a different pain killer, like the inject able one but said that's like a morphine and it's every 4hrs and would make her want to eat less and if it came down to that we would have a serious chat about quality of life.

I'm also having blood work done to check out her kidneys and the rest of her body. And if it looked like there was a problem with the kidneys we need to decided weather or not to keep her on the metacam.

Glad things are better with Monsters. Smitten sends get well wishes. Smit is doing better with her sore since I started using the sheepskin. I've putting more neosporin onand started her back on the metacam. She seems to be fine otherwise.

I guess that it's best with Monsters to take one day at a time and to give her a great day every day (which is what you already do!!!!!!!!!!!)
"Hugs" to Smitten also ..
Maureen

angieluv wrote:
I guess that it's best with Monsters to take one day at a time and to give her a great day every day (which is what you already do!!!!!!!!!!!)
Maureen
Your right that's the only way to do it. One day at a time.
Here's a photo of her bandage which I'll take off Tomorrow and take a new photo of her wound.
DSCF3030-1.jpg

I pulled her bandage off as she fell over and tipped her water and got it wet. This is what her sore looks like without the scab. I can try and take a closer pictures if needed. I believe I have triple antibiotic polysporin can i put that on her wound? I'm going out soon to find the epson salt as directed my the vet.

DSCF3042.jpg

well she needs to be off that areabut at least you know it's there and can do something about it. My idea on epsom salts was that it was to be used to dilutewith water and soak the area.?????

Might be something else you could use cause i don't know how you will do it. :expressionless

She can not eat the triple antibiotic creme so it is OK to put it on.

I am going to post about Beau foot so read my post as I am dealing with a sore hock

(washing and bandaging)
That sore on Monsters doesn't look deep in the pic which is good.

It looks like it's healing a bit. Angieluv is right about epsom salts--they're usually used as a solution to soak things in--they draw water out of tissue. I used to use them for blisters on my feet all the time. You make up a solution of it in water, and then soak, and it pulls the water out of the tissue (you can imagine how this would help for water-filled blisters)

I think triple antibiotic creme is a good thing to put on.

Back