Pregnant Doe Early Nesting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TammyP

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Im new to breeding buns. I bought a bunny last year and she has forever changed my world/life. I absolutely love her (and rabbits)...so much so, I had her bred (white, blue-eyed lionhead) to see if rabbitry is something I would like to pursue. Today is day 20 post breeding. Yesterday my bun started frantically chewing and digging at the rug, a bag of trash, shoes, and clothes (she free roams, but has an exercise pen enclosure for her home). She also had hay in her mouth and had started preparing a nest in the corner of her enclosure. I feel sure she is pregnant. The male had 3 fall offs. She is very adamant about not being picked up, but will allow me to pet her and love on her and she still grooms/kisses me. She is definitely getting bigger and rarely goes out of the room. She does not want to be around others or her bunny friend (a Rex doe). Is this nesting behavior so early normal? Should I go ahead and give her a nesting box? This is her first pregnancy and she seems scared and nervous 😓. Your wisdom and insight will be much appreciated!

Yes, you can give her a nest box now. Check that she doesn't just use it as a litterbox.

She certainly could be pregnant (and continue treating her as such), but some does who build nests that early are experiencing a false pregnancy.

Thank you...I definitely feel she is pregnant...we saw what looked like the babies moving around in her belly on day 24. I hope by this time next week, we will have babies!!! I'm so excited!

Day 24 ? Wow. I thought when mine gave birth last month at day 23 that was long. Good luck

"Normal" range is about day 28-35. Imo no way 23, more likely dates got mixed up (which teached me to use a physical wall calender and paint conception and appr. delivery date bright red), or the buck found a way before, like they tend to do. Curious children around also seem to boost the number of miracle pregnancys.

I only saw movement in my bunnies belly at day 24...no birth...we should have babies in a few days! This is her first litter (and mine), so hoping and praying all goes well...so nervous 😓. I just can't wait to finally be able to hold my bunny again...she absolutely refuses to be picked up!

I owe a apology to all here. I mis r read the post and it was only after I realized it. Senior moment I think they call it. Will be careful in the future before I post. Again my apologies.
What do you mean by "day 23 that was long?" Sorry that I don't understand what you mean.

No worries! My brain has completely shut down since I got covid in January. I am so ready for it to return to normal if there is such a thing! 😀

I thought it was just me. I to had COVID and I have brain fog and am very forgetful of things. My doctor said that’s what did it.

I'm so excited...today is day 29 and we could have little ones any day now! My bunny is still perfecting her nest and is doing a fantastic job. She let me touch her tummy and I could feel the babies move!!!! I do have a question...how often should I do nest checks at night?

Thanks,

Tammy

Back