Prayers for Gypsy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

Reaction score
lookatmu.jpg

Brice

As some may remember 4 years ago my bun Brice went through wry neck. He is still with us and doing well, he is 9 years olf this year. Brices Storyhttp://webpages.charter.net/savagerabbits/savageWEBworks_files/Page499.htm

gypsy1.jpg

Gypsy

To the bad news, Sunday night Gypsy was fine, Monday morning she appeared fine, but it was a quick good morning then off to work for 12 hours. When I got home last night she was sitting with her face in the corner, not normal for her I called her name she didn't move, I go to pick her up, it seems she was leaning againt the wall to steady herself, when I went to pick her up she freaked and rolled.

I got her calmed and checked her over, a slow nystagmus, and a "dizzy feel" but she wasn't tilting yet, fortunally I had meds in the house and started her on them last night, plus some SQ fluid to keep her hydrated. I had talked to my boss(a vet)and she said she'd check her out in the morning.(mind you this was already 9:30 at night)

She went in this morning, got an accurate weight on her, my doses were right on for what I gave her, as I was guessing on her exact weight. plus I picked up more meds as I'd only had about 2 days worth at home.

So please just say a little prayer for Gypsy. I've been down this road before, it's not an easy one, but hoping since I got meds into her shortly after signs started showing that she'll recover quicker. I know not always the case, but I can hope.

She has taken 30cc's of critical care mixed with baby food and water. she is not feeling up to eating on her own with her dizziness. so paws crossed, prayers please. thank you-- it seems when it rains it pours.

As some may know I have 25 rabbits, with my basement set up for them, tey have about 600-700 square feet that belongs to them. of my 25 buns, let me list my "young buns"

Sienna -found in woods age approx 1 year old, (i believe she was 6 months old when found she has grown and filled out the way that age I feel would)

Donovan 2 yrs old, Gypsy 3 yrs old, Wishbone 5 yrs old, Ginger 5 years old, Willow 6 years old

Those are my young buns the other 19 are 7 years old and older, I unfortunally expect to be going through some rough times for the next 2-3 years.

Thank you for "listening" -Gabby

:hug:

I will keep you all in my thoughts.

I know what it's like to go through tough times with buns within a short space of time. It sucks. If you do ever need a chat, now, or in the future, my PM box will always be open.

Thinking of you and Gypsy.

Tracy
x

Hi Gabby :)

Sorry to hear about Gypsy. I will be keeping her in my prayers and hoping she recovers soon.

I am so pleased that Brice is doing so well. You know how much I love that little guy - he is such a remarkable bunny!

Jan

Oh no :(

When I read about Gabrielle and then this - I didn't even finish and I thought - OH NO! it's coming..... we've talked about this before...... they're all getting older now.

:hug: I'm thinking of you and praying for little Gypsy!

Prayers for Gypsy. Her recovery is greatly improved with your knowledge and quick response for treatment.

You are blessed for having so many bunnies, and they are blessed by you for living such a long life. Just think of all the wonder years you have with them.

JadeIcing wrote:
What meds are you treating her with? Are you going to find exactly what exactly is causing it?
I am, very famuliar with treating vestibular disease in rabbits and dogs.Her's is caused by 1 of 2 things, but the treatment is the same for both.
I am not one to mention names of meds, because of people who may think that is the only way to treat such a condition, when there are several options that are approiate depending on the situation.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh no :(

When I read about Gabrielle and then this - I didn't even finish and I thought - OH NO! it's coming..... we've talked about this before...... they're all getting older now.

:hug: I'm thinking of you and praying for little Gypsy!

Thank you Bo that means a lot,I was just thinking about the "good old days" on the delphi forums.. and alot of people and rabbits I have no idea where they are or how they are now... sad but true those of us who have been here, and the board prior either have alot of old buns, or rainbow bridge bunnies, I wish we could just freezethem (not for real just in time)at their most perfect age and let them stay young forever, disease free , happy healthy and full of life.

I know Gabby. I don't know where some of them are or how to reach them. I feel bad :( I wish I knew.

There are a few here and there.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, even more since it comes right after Gabrielle's passing... I'm wishing the best for Gypsy, a speedy recovery, she's such a sweet bun! It's fortunate that you are experienced in this ailment, so Gypsy is having the best and most appropriate care she could.

Marietta

JadeIcing wrote:
Ah. I can understand that. I myself would prefer to never have to deal with it again. Twice was enough for me.

I hate dealing with it in general, this is the second bun of mine, and I was hoping to go through life with only the one.. but nope, not going to happen. I can't even tell you how many buns we have seen or treated at work with it. including one thatalmost didn't get to come in because our bunny vet was not there, but I told the other Dr what she would do.

I hope I never have to deal with it again in my buns, doesn't mean I want someone elses to get it, rather it not happen at all, but it is much easier treating someone elses, because you are not responsible for it 24/7 and others can and do care, taking off some the stress. however I'm a neurotic mother and other than the vet, would only allow myself to tend to mine.. bad girl I know...

Marietta wrote:
I'm sorry you have to go through this, even more since it comes right after Gabrielle's passing... I'm wishing the best for Gypsy, a speedy recovery, she's such a sweet bun! It's fortunate that you are experienced in this ailment, so Gypsy is having the best and most appropriate care she could.

Marietta
thank you very much,unfortunately things seem to happen in bunches, just seems to be the way it is..Gypsy is a good strong girl I have faith in her. But she could use all the well wishes and prayers she could get. so thank you:)

Oh I understand. It sadly feels like routine. I treated two different buns for it. One I treated three times. The third time his head never straightened.

Gabby wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Ah. I can understand that. I myself would prefer to never have to deal with it again. Twice was enough for me.

I hate dealing with it in general, this is the second bun of mine, and I was hoping to go through life with only the one.. but nope, not going to happen. I can't even tell you how many buns we have seen or treated at work with it. including one thatalmost didn't get to come in because our bunny vet was not there, but I told the other Dr what she would do.

I hope I never have to deal with it again in my buns, doesn't mean I want someone elses to get it, rather it not happen at all, but it is much easier treating someone elses, because you are not responsible for it 24/7 and others can and do care, taking off some the stress. however I'm a neurotic mother and other than the vet, would only allow myself to tend to mine.. bad girl I know...

just a small update On Gypsy, It has been 1 week and 1 day since the start of her head tilting.

She first showed signs Monday April 7th I started her on meds that very night, Her nystagmus dissaperared as of thursday April 11th,

Sunday she ate papaya tablets, sunday night she ate one jar of baby food, monday, she ate some oats, and was munching hay, and today she ate a fair amt of pellets and some baby food mixed with papaya.

her head dips down as she moves, and she is still a bit off ballence, but she is well aware, and correctsherself. She only rolled the first night and morning she had it, and now seems to be in control of that, and just mostly looks a bit drunk.

but granted it's only been a week, and i have a good 3-4 more weeks to go. The good news is she is WAY ahead of where Brice was at this point. Paws crossed. And she thanks you for your well wishes.

Sorry to hear of Gypsy's ailment, but from reading this thread, if I were a bun and got this sickness it would be at your house I would to be. Gypsy is lucky to have you or is it your lucky to have her?! Best of luck to you both..

Latest posts

Back