Prayers for Fey, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
James and I just got back from the emergencyvet. We left Fey there overnight. Her stomach wascut during a fight with Mocha. It's a long rip on her bellygoing back towards her hind leg, but it was only through the skin andnot the membrane or muscle. I didn't even see anyblood. But it needs to be closed. The vet therewasn't comfortable with rabbits so he didn't want to do the surgery,but it looks like it can wait a bit. He is putting in sometemporary staples until we can get her in to our vet. Fey isbeing given painkillers and Baytril to stave off infection.

I've checked over all the others several times and nobody else seemshurt. They were eating and pooping before and after we wentto the vet.

That's all I know for now. I'll keep you updated as I can.

Oh no!!:(
I will certainly be thinking of you.

I hope Fey will be ok.

I wish you the very best.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. Wejust talked to the vet at the emergency clinic. Fey is goingto be stitched up there as we can't get a hold of our regularvet. She should be back home sometime tonight with Baytriland anti-inflammatories. The vet thinks Fey ate some hay lastnight but can't tell for sure.

Good thought and finger crossings for Fey!

In a hurry. Late forrelatives. Fey home and eating/doing good. Stitchesgood and were quick. Cheaper then we even hoped for (nicevets). More when we have more time.

The Stee's

Hello Stee's.

Bless your heart for stopping in to tell us that she's home and coming along.

Of course prayers will go out from here for a complete and speedy recovery. That Poor Baby. That had to Hurt!

:pray:

-Carolyn

Ok, we have time for a more proper lowdown. A 6cm by 3cm hole was torn into Fey's abdomen (thats abig hole for a three and a half pound bunny) along with a few morepuncture wounds next to it. The vet gassed her and did acombination of buried stitches and glue to repair the big gash and leftthe smaller ones to heal on their own. She then was put on a4-5 day regiment of Enrofloxacin (Baytril) 0.6 ml twice daily andMaloxicam (pain reliever/anti-inflamatory) 0.1 ml once daily.We were also told to hold a hot pack to her belly for ten minutes twicea day. Also we are to keep her in a seperate cage for a fewdays (and we are going to keep her away from Mocha evenmore). We expressed a concern with the price quote we got at1am last night, but agreed to the procedures anyways (what can youdo?). They must have felt sorry for us because when we cameto pick her up in the morning, they had waived the ER, ICU, andGraveyard shift fees (which was about half the bills price).Nice people!

Fey is doing fine. She just sits around in her cage most thetime, but seems to be interested in what is around her. Sheis eating like normal, but her poops are a little small and fewer thennormal. She takes her medicine eagerly when mixed withpumpkin and will sit up for food, so it is easy to check her wound(looks fine so far). Though we didn't try to put the hot packon her yet (not sure how to pick her up without spooking herbad. She isn't easily picked up and since she is fresh fromsurgery...).

Found out that newspaper is bad for white bunnies. The notessaid we should put down newspaper instead of regular bedding, but theink from the newspaper is staining her paws black and it is transferingslightly to her head (though she has been lax with her groomingluckily. She still has hair muss from the mask on herface). We figured that we will change the newspaper out forpaper towel in a little bit.

That's it for now, will give you more later when there is more togive. Thank you for your prayers and concern.

Fey, Sprite, Mocha, Loki, James, And Angela (The Stee's)

Latest posts

Back