pottying outside litter box all of a sudden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffysmama

Reaction score
Hi,
My 5 year old rabbit is all of a sudden going #1 and #2 outside of his litter box. both in his cage and in the room he hops around in every night..any suggestions or reasons why he may all of a sudden take on this bad behavior?

Have you recently changed litter or anything else with your rabbit? If not, I would suspect there might be some sort of health problem going on. Sometimes a UTI or bladder sludge will cause accidents to start occurring outside the litter box. Also if there is arthritis, that can make it uncomfortable for them to hop into the litter box. It would probably be a good idea to take him to see the vet.

Has there been any trauma to the back? That could possibly cause incontinence as could a UTI or bladder sludge (but with those last two I wouldn't expect only peeing out of the box).

Have you recently added another bunny or maybe other pet to the home? Sometimes like if they smell another bunny, they'll go everywhere.

How's the drinking? Drinking and/or urinating excessively? If it continues a well-check at the vet wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

I took him to the vet because after I posted this I was keeping a closer eye on him and he was spending a lot of time in his litter box but not much urine was in it. He also looked like he was in pain and straining to urinate. I suspected a UTI. They took a urine sample which looked really abnormal so right away they took an x ray which turned out his bladder was full of calcium stones. The options were to have them try to push out that sludge and take another xray which would be like $700 and modify his diet and it could still happen again or to put him to sleep. We put him to sleep. I am so shocked and emotionally drained right now. We had him for about 5 years, we got him when we was 8 weeks old from the humane society. I just feel horrible. The vet said if he got too much calcium in his diet which is found in alphalpha hay and pellets or lie broccoli or it could be genetic metobolic digestive issue..you can never know for sure.

He seemed to be eating and drinking find and poop looked normal. thank you for your replies. I am glad I took him in as we could tell he was in pain.. :(

I've Noticed My bun WILL NOT use his litter box in his cage, He'll hold it all night until I let him out and go poo and pee on the floor outside. If I put the box out in his run, he'll use it. Guess he doesn't like it in his house..lol

Latest posts

Back