Possibly Getting Another Mini Rex!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, well hopefully this weekend(Saturday) I'm going with BSAR and BlueSky to their friend's house, and she is selling a purebred Mini Rex. She is a broken Chocolate, and I think is about 1 1/2 years old or so. (Right Emily?) :?Her name at the moment is Spot, but I'm thinking about changing it.

I'm so excited, I talked to my mom about getting her. I have saved up enough money to buy her, and I have a cage, water bottle, feed bowl, etc. ready for her. So I'm pretty much prepared for her.

I might possibly breed her and Winston. Since, Winston is a purebred Mini Rex, and he is black. But before I breed them, I'll be research and stuff about breeding, so then I'll have knowledge of breeding. And I also you guys if I have any questions of course! :pAnd I'm pretty sure you can breed broken chocolates and blacks, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I just thought I'd tell everyone my exciting news! And when/if I get her (I'm pretty sure I can get her) I'll post pics, and have you guys help me pick out a name for her.

Hehe, :D

Karlee

Yaay! I can't wait to see her! I haven't seen her yet so I can't wait to see her when we go!

She has been bred before hasn't she? I think you should change her name, but she might already be used to Spot, maybe not though.

Ok, don't get me wrong because I never researched the MR genetics. When I was looking to get a buck to breed my broken tort to I was told to breed her broken to broken- not to a solid. The judge said that you end up with mismarked ones..... not sure...

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
Ok, don't get me wrong because I never researched the MR genetics. When I was looking to get a buck to breed my broken tort to I was told to breed her broken to broken- not to a solid. The judge said that you end up with mismarked ones..... not sure...

Yeah, because I'm not sure about this either. :?I'll probably wait untill someone who know Mini Rex genetics to post, or to find one.

And yes, BlueSky told me she has been bred before. I think she said 1 or 2 litters. But I'll check with her again.

I will take pics of her for you guys and post em'. :)

Karlee

I really don't know much about it but I can say that it was Eric Stewart who told me this (I was going to get my buck from him)... hopefully somebody can explain this because I'm curious. Maybe I'll look it up in my little library tonight when I get home.

DyemondRabbitry wrote:

Karlee is talking about broken chocolate, not a broken tort.
From what my friend told me, this doe has thrown broken blacks, broken chocolates, and some solids.

You can breed Black to broken chocolates. You will most likely get broken blacks, because black is dilute, but you still could end up with broken chocolates.....now Im no genetic wizz, so I could be wrong about the broken chocoaltes, but I'm pretty positive about the broken blacks.

To answer everyone's questions, Yes, she has been bred before ;) She's had 2 or 3 litters (if I can remember right) but I know for sure that she has had one.

Emily

Ok- So broken Chocolate to Solid black

**CHOCOLATE- Chocolate and Lilac can be bred together as Lilac is the dilute of Chocolate. Chocolate may also be bred to Black or to Blue. If they must be bred into the agouti group, then Lynx (Color Group 1) would be the only choice. Breeding to Castors will result in Castors with incorrect ear lacing and top color.

**BLACK- Black may be bred to Blue because Blue is actually a dilute of Black and may help your get your richest, deepest Blues while maintaining good dark pigment color on toe nails, which is a common problem in Blues. Black may also be bred to Tortoise from Color Group 5.

BROKEN as a general rule should be bred to a solid colored rabbit of their same color. Can also be bred to a REW or another broken.(From the Article in the NMRC Guidebook by Diane Campbell)(See Authors personal opinion below) If you use two brokens make sure they both carry a lot of pattern in order to prevent a litter full of charlies. (Personal Opinion: If brokens are your goal then breed broken to broken and generally cull the solids from these crosses as their color is usually not desirable. A broken to a solid without broken behind it can result in many booted rabbits)

Taken From: http://kevinminirexrabbits.tripod.com/id14.html

I hope no one minds, but since this has become a topic of breeding, I'm going to move the thread to the Rabbitry.

Karlee, when you get her, just post a new thread back in the general forum, Ok??

I can't wait to see her! You know I'm the MR nut here! :biggrin2:

Lol- yup! Many MR nuts in here. How can you help it though, they're just so cute!!! I wish I had room for a trio.... I may still talk the hubby into it for the little 4-Hers!

If you breed black to broken chocolate the black would have to carry chocolate to get chocolates or broken chocolates. If the solid black carries a good pattern you should get 50% brokens with a showable pattern and 50% solids. If the buck carries chocolate and dilute and the broken chocolate carries dilute then you could also get blues, lilacs, blacks and chocolates. Solid and broken.

My best producing black buck carries a really nice broken pattern and has sired many broken grand champions when bred too broken does. My best producing otter buck throws brokens that are too heavily marked and not showable.

I occasionally breed broken too broken and get nice brokens but I also get charlies that are not showable but will always throw brokens.Charlies are not showable because they don't have enough color but they are useful in a broken program.

Roger

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hope no one minds, but since this has become a topic of breeding, I'm going to move the thread to the Rabbitry.

Karlee, when you get her, just post a new thread back in the general forum, Ok??

I can't wait to see her! You know I'm the MR nut here! :biggrin2:
Ok, I'll post pics when I get her! :)I can't wait to see her!! Eepp!

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
If you breed black to broken chocolate the black would have to carry chocolate to get chocolates or broken chocolates. If the solid black carries a good pattern you should get 50% brokens with a showable pattern and 50% solids. If the buck carries chocolate and dilute and the broken chocolate carries dilute then you could also get blues, lilacs, blacks and chocolates. Solid and broken.

My best producing black buck carries a really nice broken pattern and has sired many broken grand champions when bred too broken does. My best producing otter buck throws brokens that are too heavily marked and not showable.

I occasionally breed broken too broken and get nice brokens but I also get charlies that are not showable but will always throw brokens.Charlies are not showable because they don't have enough color but they are useful in a broken program.

Roger

OK, thanks Roger.

So do you think it would be ok to breed them? I'll post pics of both of them when I get her. Because I'm not sure about what colors they have in their lines.

Karlee

Color wise it should be OK to breed them. You stand the chance of getting overly marked kits if the solid does not throw good broken patterns.

The other thing you have to consider is type and fur. If they both have common faults then don't breed them because the offspring will have the faults. They should be good examples of the breed with good type and fur before you consider breeding them.

Roger

Latest posts

Back