Possible Poison?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know anything about rats, but was curious because many animals eat indigestible fiber and it just passes right through (nature's scrub brush).

I came across this interesting article that states it's a myththat rats can't digest alfalfa . . .

http://www.onestaorganics.com/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl?PageID=Heidis+Corner

To be honest, none of my little rodent creatures ever liked alfalfa pellets. Since rats and hamsters are omnivores - I guess that makes sense. ;)

So, I'm not sure that alfalfa in the product would have killed a rat - but maybe some other ingredient? I would think that eating the pine shavings would be more harmful.

Pam

I've always read and been told that rats can't digest alfalfa and its not reccomended that you give it to them. A small amount may be fine, but a large amount isn't good. Commonly, rat "seed mixes" sold in stores have alfalfa pellets in them, but it is just a filler....along with every thing else. With rats...there are a lot of "wrong-ways & right-ways", unfortunately.

I would definitely think the pine shavings played a huge role with rat death. You never know, but one "batch" of these "snaks" could have had higher levels of pine in them. I am not sure if eating the pine would be bad...but don't you think that if the "snak" was peed on (which I have no doubt, rats pee....a lot), then eaten....the pine inside released the toxic chemicals?

Either way...these "snaks" are horrid, along with every other "treat" made for small animals in pet stores.

Well. dear Hazel-mom, your answer IS an expert's answer to me!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to research the issue and draft such a scientifically sound advice. You are #1 = :blueribbon:

The quality of Chinese imports is a huge problem also in my country. Personally, I never touch anything that is produced in China, not for me and not for my bun.

Marietta

Latest posts

Back