Possible Poison?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speri

Reaction score
Well, I got this toy from Petsmart, or maybe you could call it a chew. I heard on another forum I am on (for rats, as I own two along with my beautiful bunny) and a couple of the members said a certain ingredient was very toxic, or could build up over time to a toxic level. Before I give this chew back to Speri (my rabbit) I want to see some opinions on here. Here is a link to it and its ingredients...anyone else use it as well...any feedback? Thanks a lot.:)

Here is the link to the one I bought unknowingly for Speri, and my friend Nut had a similar item for her rabbit as well. So, I am really concerned, as Speri and Nut's rabbit have gnawed on them...

I had one of those for a rat. She had it less than a week and died. She was fine before that. Nothing else changed. I don't like them.

I think she liked it so much and chewed it all the time - she went from playing on the bed and stuff to laying and panting on top of it then died within hours of that. It made me so sick... I loved that girl. :(

It's difficult to speculate without knowing what "toxin" is being blamed.

The product ismade in China though- I'd err on the side of caution and throw the stuff out . . .

"When it doubt, throw it out."

Better to go with natural products from your own area such as fruit tree branches and healthy greens/veggies.

Pam

Oh my gosh...I'm not using it for any of my pets. That is horrible! I'm sorry as well, Bo. :cry4:Thank you very much everyone.

I think that is what we did think. It's a great idea but when you think about what had to be in those to keep them all together and stuff... eww

I like the little white pine houses and they are cheaper too.

pamnock wrote:

The product ismade in China though- I'd err on the side of caution and throw the stuff out . . .

Better to go with natural products from your own area such as fruit tree branches and healthy greens/veggies.

Pam

:yeahthat:

Snak Shak products are very widely sold, normally I'd say they're not 'poisonous', just very bad-for-pets junk food, but given the recent pet food scares, can't really even say that anymore.

But even without that added concern, the products are terrible nutrition-wise for any animal, and especially with rabbits, that sudden influx ofsugars (and preservatives)can't be good.

I suspect the poor rattie may have also just over eaten the junk?

I'd steer clear. Apple and pear twigs are the chew toys here, apples and banana are the'treats'. They love 'em!

sas :wiggle

(PS: Banana makes Sherry's bum twitch, gotta be good!) :biggrin2:

I agree with Sas, on the preservative thing. My husband is deathly allergic to almost every preservative. It has horrible effects, and he can't tolerate them at all. After watching and tending to him, I shy away from preservatives as much as possible for myself and buns as well.

pamnock wrote:

Pam

Agreed! This toy may contain unlisted ingredient or substituted ingredients based on its country of origin. When in doubt, toss it out.

I think the toxic idea may come from confusing propylene glycol with ethylene glycol. Ethylene is used in antifreeze. Propylene - which this product contains is as follows:

Propylene glycol is a derivative of natural gas. It is commonly used in a variety of consumer products and food products, including deodorants, pharmaceuticals, moisturizing lotions, and fat-free ice cream and sour cream products.

As others are saying stick to branches and stuff im agreeing. I've got no idea what all thos xines and grimes and whatevers mean but theres an awfull lot of them and they sound quite nasty.

I was awful in chemistry at school, so I couldn't state an opinion on the ingredients, however we do have an expert member!

Hazel-mom, could you answer this?

Marietta

Exactly Pipp - I think she could have overeaten it. We didn't notice a whole lot of it gone but I thought back and wondered if she wasn't eating the inside of it?

Anyhow, If you had one and wanted to use it as a play toy outside of the cage, while you watch for short times and while you could stop them from eating it.......

maybe.

but I wouldn't recommend getting them for any of the animals.

Those "treats" sound scary! Pennie, maybe you could write a product review with your experiences and put it on the product's page? People don't expect a treat to hurt their pets and maybe they'd give this treat a second thought if you wrote about your rat. Maybe it's not what killed her, but the connection might make some people not want to give it to their pets.

Yes, there is definitely no doubt now, this "treat" is going right in the garbage. All the info. really helped, thanks again.

LOL Marietta, I wouldn't call myself an "expert", though I do have a science degree (but in Geology). I do however have an expert husband (in chemistry), and through him also access to more experts at UCdavis (in chemistry and biology), and I know where to look for science answers. Plus my husband has some of his books here at home :).

So, I had a fairly quick look at the ingredients, and there's not really anything that is outright toxic, though i do question some of them even being there, like the monoammonium phosphate which is an ingredient in fertilizers. I have found no applications for it in any animal or human foods, so I have no idea why that would be there. It is however classified as safe, except in extremely large quantities, but I can't believe you could get enough by just eating the product. The lethal dose for rats is more than 2000mg (or 200 grams) per kg body weight, which is a lot.

Propylene glycol should be safe as well, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined propylene glycol to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, cosmetics, and medicines. The oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.
But I did find this: "However, propylene glycol is not approved for use in cat food. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has determined that propylene glycol in or on cat food has not been shown by adequate scientific data to be safe for use. Use of propylene glycol in or on cat food causes the feed to be adulterated and in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. 21CFR589.1001".

Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide (EDDI) is added to animal feeds as a source of iodide. "EDDI is used as a pet food additive and cattle feed additive with high bioavailability. It is used to prevent iodine deficiency. The United States Food and Drug Administration suggests a limit of intake to 50 mg/head/day."

As others have mentioned, coming from China though, you don't really know what is in this product, and I would be wary of it as well.

Then of course there's the fact that it contains all those seeds, which are said to be bad for rabbits, because they can cause compaction in the guts, resulting in stasis and bloat. I don't know enough about rats, so I don't know whether they can cause the same in rats? Someone with rats may know?

And the pine shavings may or may not be toxic, depending on whether they have been kiln dried to remove the toxic phenols, or not. Which is not stated anywhere on the product label, AFAIK.

It also contains food dyes, which I know are labeled safe to be used, even in human food, but personally I try to stay clear of those as well. They can have adverse effects in children, and If I won't feed them to my kids, I won't feed them to my buns either. (well, I didn't when the kids were little... can't tell them anything anymore now that they're big, LOL)

Anyway, if I were you, I'd return it to the store and get my money back, or get something healthy instead.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I had one of those for a rat. She had it less than a week and died. She was fine before that. Nothing else changed. I don't like them.

I think I know what happened now, after looking at the ingredients of these products.....

Besides "pine shavings" being in the mix, ALFALFA is also in the mix. Rats can't digest alfalfa :?.

Latest posts

Back