Possible New Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Hi! I think this is my first post but I've been a member for awhile just lurking. I may be getting a rabbit from a family that I work with. I'm a caseworker and noticed in one of my homes that the family recently took in a rabbit. I'm pretty sure that the rabbit won't be there for long. (The family is....not reliable. We'll leave it at that.)

So, when I noticed the rabbit, I asked the mom about it. Apparently, they found it in the cage (a small petstore cage) on the side of the road. She really didn't want a rabbit but she couldn't leave it on the road. Her oldest daughter 'loves' the bunny. I told her that when/if she wants to 'get rid of it' to call me and I'd take it.

Here's my question: I don't know anything about rabbits. I know this is a himalayan and the mom thinks it's a boy. He's not very big..maybe 6lbs? I have had dogs, cats, guinea pigs and hamsters but never a rabbit. Any and all information (not only for me but for the family) would be greatly appreciated it.

I know it should be in a bigger cage, eat good hay & pellets as well as veggies but that's all I know. Thanks for giving me any info I give pass on.

Zoey

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

I’ve listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

In your profile there is a place for location. There is no rule requiring you to list the city you live in, but if you can give a general region, country, state, what part of a state or country you live in is helpful. This will give others an idea and can offer more specific help if needed.

This the best site on the web for bunnies and I look forward to hearing stories and looking at pictures of your rabbits.

Rabbits should have unlimited hay, a good source of clean fresh water, I would recommend a bottle for water as litter, food etc can't dirty it up. Avoid rabbit food that has anything it like corn kernals, seeds as this is not good for a rabbit to eat, just rabbit pellets. A good absorbent litter should be used preferably in a litter box approriate to the size of the cage. Stay away from pine or cedar shavings as these are toxic to rabbits. A pine litter can be used as long as it is kiln dried (has the toxic resins baked out). Stay away from cat litter, especially clay or the clumping kind. If a rabbit ingests it, the litter can expand and block the intestinal track and possibly kill the bunny. For veggies the library has a list ofwhich ones are good and which ones should be avoided. The rabbit should also get some cage out time to get exercise and play. Oh yea, rabbits love toys to play with during the day/night. Little balls for cats with the bell inside, with openings so the rabbit can pick it up and toss it, baby keys are good too and toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay. The bun can chew on the cardboard as it eats the hay. If possible a cardboard box for the bun to chew on or pages from a telephone book it can shred.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have anyother questions.

Hello :wave:

Welcome to the forum, Zoey!! Thank you for joining and at least trying to help this little guy!:highfive::hug::wave:

Keep us posted on how he's doing, he sounds like he's doing well, thank the Lord!

Please check out our Library for info on feeding, there is so much there, too much to put here, unless you can't find something, let us know!

I wish you the best of luck with the new guy and please keep us posted, how cute and sweet of you to do for this little one!

Crys:pink iris:

ZoeyGirl wrote:
I don't know anything about rabbits. ... I have had dogs, cats, guinea pigs and hamsters but never a rabbit. Any and all information (not only for me but for the family) would be greatly appreciated it.
First, welcome to RO!

I always thought of myself as a dog person, until I found myself living with a rabbit. Now I'm sold... A few thoughts on rabbits:

• Rabbits can be as loving as dogs and as independent as cats, and they're as intelligent as either dogs or cats - but they're neither. They're rabbits. Take them on their own terms, and don't expect them to react like dogs or cats.
  • Rabbits vary a lot in personality - unlike dogs, which have been bred over the centuries for specific behaviors, rabbits were bred for appearance, or meat, or fur. So, there's a lot less consistency from one to the next, which is a big part of the charm, finding out just how your bunny thinks.
  • Rabbits are prey animals. Their world view isn't fitting into a pack, like dogs, or solitary stalk-and-hunt like cats. It's based on "everything wants to eat me". Learn to work within that world view, and you're well on the way to understanding your bunny.
  • Rabbits can be trained, and you'll be amazed how well they learn on their own to recognize spoken English. The more you talk to your bunny, the more they'll listen and understand.
  • The first time you give a rabbit a command, he'll look at you like you're crazy. The second time, he'll groom himself. The third time, he'll obey.
  • As a general rule, it takes time to win the trust of a rabbit, but it's worth the effort.
Good luck!

Thank you all for the tips and links! I'll be sure to add in my location but I'm in central IL if that helps. :)

I don't have the poor bunny. I'm hoping the family will need to rehome him soon. I just hate knowing that he's not in the best environment but I guess it's better than where he was which was outdoors.

If/when he gets to my house, I'll make sure to post plenty of pictures. Now, it's time to read up on bunnies! :)

He looks like these 2 guys:

bibblesbabbles.jpg

I think I'll give the family a call on Monday and see how he's doing. I think they had him on cedar chips. I have my guinea pigs on aspen. Maybe I can take them some of that to put him on. *sigh*

Here's a dumb question: Can he live in the same room as guinea pigs? I heard that bunnies have something that can be dangerous to piggies.

ETA: I just thought of something else. Do bunnies need to have a friend? And what about neutering/spaying them?

1st of all : Those buns in the pic look gorgeous :p

Cedar woodchips? This rabbit could be sick. Cedar causes respitory problems with rabbits. Ask if you could take the bunny home with you because you really like him.

Rabbits can live in the same room as rabbits, not in the same cage. If a rabbit kicks the guinea (even a little kick) can really hurt the piggie :(. I have heard if the guinea pig eats the rabbits droppings, he can get really sick. There are some fruits that a rabbit cant eat i.e oranges. Although, Guinea pigs can eat them.

It is better (I find) for the bunny to have a friend. I had Jenni and George, then when George died Jenni would sit there in the cage all day. She wouldnt run around outside as much. Then when I got Oreo my new baby bunny she seemed happier (although they didnt get along at 1st!)

Spaying/neutering is recommended. Does get cancer in the uterus at around 6 years old. Spaying/Neutering also stop the buns from being agressive, stops them from spraying, and tames them.

:)

Thanks for the input. I knew that GPs and buns can't live together in the same cage but wasn't sure about being in the same room. I have an idea of where he'd go IF I can get him. I think I will definitely stop by on Friday (first time I'll be back in town) to trim nails. Please say a prayer that I can persuade them in letting me take him. Once I get him here, I'll worry about a friend later. I want to make sure he's safe first.

Good to know about the oranges. I generally don't feed the piggies alot of fruit but when I do it's usually an apple. I think I've done an orange once or twice over the past 5yrs. They mainly get romaine, green leaf, red leaf, cilantro...a variety of veggies. :)

I have 2 exotics vets that I use for my piggies. So, whenever I can get the family to give him to me, I'll have to try & get an appt w/ one of them. Thanks for all the info!!

ETA: Sorry, I post a response and then think up another question. :biggrin2: Anyways, I have a black lab mix dog who's 5yrs old. She does REALLY well w/ the piggies. She doesn't bother them at all. Whenever I bring in a new piggie, I let her sniff their butt and she's fine. I am alittle worried about bringing in a bunny. She's pretty territorial in her backyard. (There's a feral cat, a crazy squirrell and a bunny that reside in the area.) Anyways, any suggestions on introducing the two? The dog will not have access to any of the other animals when no ones at home but I'm wondering how to intro her to a new bunny?

Ah good job on saving that rabbits life from people that don't care of it... i congraduate u:great:If u need any more information i am here

Well firstly I just wanna say well done for trying to find out all you can before getting a rabbit :) It's something lacking in this world.

Rabbits are wonderful, intelligent, loving pets who give as much as they get- more! People don't understand them- they make wonderful, life-long companions.

They can be expensive, but then so can any pet. Vaccinations are a definate, depending on where you live of course...I've heard that some places vaccines are illegal?? Anyway in the UK we vaccinate against myxi twice a year (I do, some people only vaccinate once), and VHD once a year.

Okay- firstly here are some great websites for you to look at:

http://www.rabbit.org/
that is the House Rabbit Society website

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits
that's not awesomely detailed but give it a once over if you want

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk.html
just wonderful. The rabbit psyche. Just fab. So funny.

Also try reading 'Rabbits for Dummies'- it's brilliant and has everything you need to know. It's detailed, full of input from the rabbit welfare association, rspca, etc. and really just has EVERYTHING you could want in there. And it's a fabulous read. Get it cheap of Amazon or something.

There are a few key things to know about rabbits:

+ They hide pain well! They are prey animals, and to show weakness is to put yourself at MAJOR risk. You need to know your bunny's normal behaviour, eating and pooping patterns to see whether something might be wrong. This won't be hard though if you spend lots of time with ur bun.
+ Good quality pellets, unlimited good quality hay and water, fresh veggies and a little fruit maybe, every day
+ BIG hutch as u can get, preferably two storey but doesn't need to be. Stores often sell rabbit hutches that are way too small, so check dimensions with the HRS website I gave you or RSPCA etc. Inside u can use NIC panels/grids to build a lovely big inside cage- see page in the Library here for that. They need at least 2 hours exercise time every day, in a large, secure run in the garden, or in a safe room of your house. And of course loootttsss of loooveeeeee and cuddles.

They really are fantastic pets and you'll make a lifelong friend with your new little guy.

If you need anything just look in the library- there are plenty of brilliant threads written by people here, or pm anyone with questions. :D

Jen x

Hi welcome,all the above advice is brilliant also use the search engine on this site to search for ie "watery eyes" it`s espcially good to know about if you need a quick answer or it`s early hours and many people are`nt up yet,it will search all posts for you:biggrin2: and welcome again !

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I do appreciate it. I have not heard from the family w/ the bunny. The last time I saw them they were taking him/her to the vet for a health check up. I'm hoping that everything's going well.

With all of the research that I've done in case I took him in has gotten me excited about adopting a pair of bunnies. In fact, I've inquired about a bonded pair-neutered boy & spayed girl. The boy, I've read, is deaf. I'm not sure if this will be a good match since I'm new to bunnies but I thought I'd ask.

I'll keep you all posted! And if we adopt any, I'll make sure to post pics! Thanks!!!

Having a deaf bunny wouldn't be that hard in my opinion...mine ignoes me for every sound anyways so I'm used to it.

Back