Possible Hair ball but he's still eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjulezTomAndFranky

Reaction score
Hi,
I've done something stupid. So, Franky is currently shedding hair and I regularly help him out by removing some of the loose hairs of his fur. However, the day before yesterday, he picked up a bunch of hair in his mouth and took off with it. I'm not sure he ate it, but I couldn't find the hair anywhere, so I guess he has. Yesterday, he was fine, but today I noticed he hasn't laid many droppings yet. Just a few small ones. He's still eating hay and other stuff, and he seems normal, but I'm worried he'd get constipated from the hair. Do you think I should wait a bit to go to the vet (tomorrow's a Sunday, then the vet's closed so I'm not sure...) or should I go right away? Are there any other things I can do to help him?
Thanks for your insights!!
Julie

Because they can't cough up hair balls, rabbits guts are actually designed to pass hair quite well. Since he's still eating plenty of hay and acting normal I wouldn't panic just yet. Things can slow down a bit while shedding but should never stop completely. Since your post was yesterday I know that the vet is now closed, did you end up taking him or did you just leave it. How is he doing today?

I didn't take him in the end because the vet near me apparently has an 'emergency Service' on saturday as well as sunday so I thought I could wait a bit longer. He's actually laid quite a lot of droppings by now! Yesterday Evening and this morning.. So maybe he's digesting the Hair quite well. But I'm still keeping my guard up the next few days!

I'm glad to hear that things improved and I hope that have continued to do so. The more extra fur you can brush out and loose fur you can pull manually the less he'll be ingesting from grooming :)

Hey guys, still wanted to give you an update. Yesterday, all of the sudden, Franky wasn't eating, drinking, pooping or washing himself all day. In the evening he had become very lethargic as well, so naturally we went to the vet. She massaged his belly and noticed he had a lot of gas. She also force-fed him and gave us a prescription for Cisaral drops. She told us to make sure he's eating (force-feeding if necessary) and give him these drops twice or thrice a day until he's back to normal. We still had to force-feed him once (yesterday night), but this morning he was eating hay and pellets, and running around like his old self! He's also begun to lay some droppings, but not as many as usual. He's had some diarrhea about half an hour after we gave him his medicine.
Anyway, I had quite a scare yesterday when he suddenly deteriorated, but now he's doing much better!

Latest posts

Back