Polish VS Tans VS Britannia Petite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowRunner

ShadowRunner
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new pet rabbit and am debating on one of these 3 breeds. It would just be for a pet.
Please don't give me heck but it will be out doors in a 4x4 hutch which 2x4 is the enclosed "bedroom" area and a 2x4 is the meshed in front which has a half solid floor and a half wire floor. They come in when the weather is to hot or cold or when the tornado siren goes off.

I have usually had larger rabbits ranging from 7-13 lbs but would like a smaller one this time.
Please give me your opinion on these 3 breeds as far as temperament and how well you think they will do in this situation.

For a pet rabbit, I would encourage getting one from a rabbit rescue. Since their rabbits are already fixed, you can choose based on personality rather than breed. Breed isn't a solid determiner of temperament anyway. But you can still look for a smaller breed if that is what you are after.

Bear in mind that smaller breeds tend to be higher in energy. That means they should have at least as much space as an average size rabbit. 24 square feet of exercise area plus 8 sq ft of enclosure is recommended.

I hesitate to say anything definitive about the personality of any particular breed because it is so general and can vary so much per individual. But very generally speaking, the Polish breed tends to be high-strung and not innately calm.

I would very much adopt but the humane society and the house rabbit society are so against outdoor housing that they say if they stop by and see it outside in a hutch the will take it.

good to know about the Polish I have been told the complete opposite of that. This is why I asked here.

Assuming you're in the US (since you said britannia petite)

As somebody who has had all those breeds, I would NOT recommend a britannia petite as a pet in almost any circumstance. They are extremely hyper, most often aggressive/flighty and don't do well in poor weather. The most aggressive rabbit breed, in my opinion, and I used to breed them. My worst rabbit scar is from a britannia.

Tans also have a reputation for being high strung; on the show table they have to run to show off their gait so they are bred to RUN; if you don't put a lot of time into getting them used to people, this often translate into running away from people. My third worst scar is from a tan (2nd was a belgian hare)

Polish (in the US - note that the british breed called 'polish' is about the same as what we call britannia petite in the US, while the US polish is somewhere in between the britannia petite and dwarf, appearance wise) are what I would recommend out of those three; they're usually fairly friendly for a breed their size, not to mention usually easier to find than those other two. They're still pretty high strung, but those other two breeds you mention are about the two MOST high strung of any breeds.

Assuming you're in the US (since you said britannia petite)

As somebody who has had all those breeds, I would NOT recommend a britannia petite as a pet in almost any circumstance. They are extremely hyper, most often aggressive/flighty and don't do well in poor weather. The most aggressive rabbit breed, in my opinion, and I used to breed them. My worst rabbit scar is from a britannia.

Tans also have a reputation for being high strung; on the show table they have to run to show off their gait so they are bred to RUN; if you don't put a lot of time into getting them used to people, this often translate into running away from people. My third worst scar is from a tan (2nd was a belgian hare)

Polish (in the US - note that the british breed called 'polish' is about the same as what we call britannia petite in the US, while the US polish is somewhere in between the britannia petite and dwarf, appearance wise) are what I would recommend out of those three; they're usually fairly friendly for a breed their size, not to mention usually easier to find than those other two. They're still pretty high strung, but those other two breeds you mention are about the two MOST high strung of any breeds.
Thank you very much for your input is there another small breed you might recomend out of all of them? I am trying to avoid a Netherland Dwarf. I have seen a lot of them bite there owners.

From my experience
The friendliest small breeds and Himalayan are Dutch. The Dwarfs vary a lot in temperament, and I've had quite a few friendly ones too; friendly but still high strung.

Thank you to those who replied here is a pic of my new girl. She is a blue polish. Now I just have to give her a name.DSCN4380.JPG

I’m glad you selected a Polish. I’ve also raised all three of the breeds you were looking at, as well as Himalayans. Yes, Brits have a reputation for being aggressive and biters. The ones we raised weren’t so bad, but then our buck was the sweetest Brit you’d ever meet, so there are exceptions. Tans are smart and inquisitive, and active. I love them but they are not normally cuddlers. Polish are laid back and content to sit in your lap. My Himalayans were sweet, but there are lines that are somewhat aggressive so you have to be careful when picking Himi’s. Enjoy your Polish!

Latest posts

Back