Plump or Obese?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Since many of us have different ideas about whether an animal is plump or obese, I thought it might help to post about it to keep it in the forefront of our minds.

As you all know, carbohydrates, oils, protein, etc. are used by the body to produce energy, which is required for movement, heat, growth, repair and reproduction. Adipose is a layer of tissue under the skin(and around the kidneys and abdominal cavity) which is packed with fat cells and serves as an insulating and an energy store. Some rabbits will overeat for their energy needs, making them prone to be 'bigger'.

Rabbits can gain weight not only by overeating, but if they are given an unsuitable diet, don't have enough of exercise, or become pregnant.

Since there are a lot of health consequences, it's best to keep closetabs on your rabbit's weight. If not, your rabbit can be predisposed to heart or liver disease, joint and bone disorders, bladder stones, and their life expectancy may be reduced.

The following three assessment techniques are reprinted from Fur and Feather, May 2000 issue. Use this approach to help determine whether your rabbit is obese or not.

1) Assess visually -- a good place to start, but be very subjective.

2) Palpate the animal's body over the shoulders, spine, ribs, and haunces. Some rabbits are quite 'fluffy' and give the appearance of being deceptively large, although underneath they may be quite slim. Feel for fatty deposits under the skin and whether you can detect bones.

3) Weigh the animal - compare with breed standards or ideal adult weights for particular breeds. If the animal is a cross-breed o funknown origin, look more at the visual and palpation technique and look for health problems. Typically an animal is classified as obese when the ribcage is not visible, the bones of the chest are barely palpable, and the body weight is noticeably more than normal for type.

For more specific indications of obesity, the rabbit will look overweight, uncomfortable, lethargic, and inactive. It will be reluctant to groom, look unkempt in appearance and may have a dirty bottom - possibly leading to myiasis. It will be reluctant to move and may show signs of sore hocks, arthritis, brittle bones, and spinal fractors. There may be changes in behavior as well.

By contrast, the overweight rabbit may look slightly overweight in appearance, but the animal will probably be happy and fairly active, although it may leave some caecotrophs (which suggests a degree of overfeeding).

-Carolyn

dreamgal042 wrote:
my baby is not plump or obese! he's gorgeous! :)

You bet he is, Darlin!

They're all gorgeous, but it's so hard to not fatten them up when theyenjoy their treats more than life itself. Ivory looks gorgeous in hisnew photo shoots. :dude:

-Carolyn

You're supposed to be able to feel their spines,right? How well should you be able to feel their ribs? I know cats aresupposed to be lean and "ribby" but I'm not sure what the standard forbunnies is...

Hi m.e.,

Your questions are best answered by someone like Pamnock who knows about how a breed should feel.

Just as a simese cat would feel differently than another breed, Iwonder if the same to be true for rabbits. Don't know - yet. ;)

Check the ARBA site, perhaps, for the breed's standard weight foradults of your rabbits. Actually, you could probably find that prettyreadily from any source on the web.

Hello Bunnylover,

If your rabbit is obese, you may want to do it under the supervision ofyour vet to make sure the rabbit is losing weight slowly. You'd want tohave a scale, at the very least if you were to do it yourself. Youdon't want to stress out the rabbit by sudden changes and the weightloss must be slow and steady in order for it to be a healthy one forthe rabbit.

Some things you can do to better manage your rabbit's weight is toreduce the amount of pellets you offer and give them more grass hay.Also, don't give sugary or starchy treats. Give healthier things likevegetables instead, but introduce them slowly and in moderation.

Watch the rabbit's activity level, appetite, and feces. A successfuldiet for a rabbit is to lose 1% of its original body weight per week

-Carolyn

Okay-

I've got a Mini-Rex and a Mini-Lop-mix-thing :p I'm having some trouble finding a breed standard for either...:?

I asked because I can feel both their backbones quite easily, which Iwasn't sure if that was good or not. Rex's ribs are harder to palpatethan Peanut's. He seems to gain weight more easily, but if I cut foodback she seems to lose too much; so I'm still figuring out how to solvethan conundrum. They really like eating together, cheek to cheek :)They were both little chubs a few years ago (before I knew better) andespecially as they're getting older (Rex is nearly 6, Peanut's 4 1/2) Iwant to keep a close watch on their bulging bellies :p

Someone I know has a morbidly obese bunny. Really, it's so, so sad :( Idon't know how to bring it up, because he works with my mom (andadopted one of the kittens, before I knew about the neglectedbunny). That rabbit is so miserable...I don't know what to do
icon_cry.gif

bunnylover78642 wrote:
Compared to this thing my bunny is a huge fatty. What do youdo to slim them down. What should a mini rex weight? What should adutch weight?

The weights set for show standards aren't a good indication of thehealthy weight that each individual should be at.Senior Dutch rabbits show weights range from 3 1/2 pounds to 5 1/2pounds, but you may have a rabbit within that weight range that is toofat or too thin for its individual body type and bone structure.

Pam

Not disagreeing with you at all! I'mjust passing on something I read somewhere along the line and reallynot passing judgment upon it.

Obviously, if all my buns have "bellies," I'm not acceptingit as gospel.:D I come from an"old school" where we usually preferred people and our pets to havesome "heft" to them.

Marilyn Monroe would be considered large by today's "healthy"standards, I imagine. To me, she was beautiful in a "normal"sort of way, 'cause that was the size woman we were used to seeing.

To my mind, sometimes less is not necessarily more.

Buck

pamnock wrote:
bunnylover78642 wrote:
Comparedto this thing my bunny is a huge fatty. What do you do to slim themdown. What should a mini rex weight? What should a dutch weight?
?

The weights set for show standards aren't a good indication of thehealthy weight that each individual should be at.?? Senior Dutchrabbits show weights range from 3 1/2 pounds to 5 1/2 pounds, but youmay have a rabbit within that weight range that is too fat or too thinfor its individual body type and bone structure.

Pam

So it is individual body type, Pam?

Generally speaking, should you be able to feel the spine?

It says in this edition, and perhaps it's dated - let me know if so,"Typically an animal is classifed as obese when the rib cage is notvisible."

When should the ribcage be visible - when stretched out?

-Carolyn

m.e. wrote:
You'resupposed to be able to feel their spines, right? How well should you beable to feel their ribs? I know cats are supposed to be lean and"ribby" but I'm not sure what the standard for bunnies is...
I use the rib test like for cats, but allow slight fat coverage (morein winter). I like to feel ribs but not sharp ribs, if that makes sense.

Some buns are built different too. Bub is lean and hard right now buthas a firm tight layer around his ribcage. The lops have a floaty loosefat layer, because their skin is so loose.

Girls seem to carry it differently also. Boys seem tighter.

Rose

m.e. wrote:
Okay-

I've got a Mini-Rex and a Mini-Lop-mix-thing :p I'm having some trouble finding a breed standard for either...:?

I asked because I can feel both their backbones quite easily, which Iwasn't sure if that was good or not. Rex's ribs are harder to palpatethan Peanut's. He seems to gain weight more easily, but if I cut foodback she seems to lose too much;
I had the hardest time keeping weight off my mini-rex. The lops lose it so fast it's scary.

Must be a breed thing! I know to watch my lops really closely when dieting.

Rose

hrm.. well my mr licks is a bit chubby, but i canstill feel his spine fairly easily. princess on the otherhand, you can easily feel her spine :( but she has freeaccess to food, so *shrugs* she's just a skinny bun iguess.. i did however just change their food overto half timothy pellets, half alfalfa pellets to keep mr licks fromgetting overweight, but i found that they eat them twice as fast asstraight alfalfa pellets :shock:not sure if they're just thatyummy to them, or they're not providing as much energy as plain alfalfapellets. their hay intake has also gone up, but i thinkthat's a good thing.

I dont believe you should be able to feel thespine or a rabbit is too thin,you should not be able to feel the hipbones either but sometimes you can and its a genetic thing and not aweight issue.bluebird

Valuran is our biggest rabbit (Chompers isscrawny compared to him, although Chomps looks large, he's all fur).Abby is in a perfect place weight wise I think.

I actually wonder if Valuran is borderline. He's very solid and hasthat "Rex belly" that Bo mentioned. When we brought him into the vetrecently, he hinted that we should start watching Valuran's weight. Heweighed in at 2.38 kg, which is around 5 pounds (I think). As he's ourmost active rabbit, I'm not overly concerned right now.

I used to think Guin was fat, and in fact she haslost weight since she became a free ranger and Gir joined thefamily. But whatI thought was a tummy pooch, was infact fur!

I can feel her spine and her ribs. She is just a poofybunny. And she likes to hunch herself into a compact footlessball.

Gir is still a growing bunny, but he is lean. Well he is leanwhen he isnt sticking his tummy out for cheerios. Then he isa buddha belly ;)

Generally speaking, should you be able to feel the spine?

It says in this edition, and perhaps it's dated - let me know if so,"Typically an animal is classifed as obese when the rib cage is notvisible."

When should the ribcage be visible - when stretched out?

Thanks Gabby, Rose, and Bluebird for answering the questions.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back