Plump or Obese?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They must be taking about you Faye.Thanks for the input. And this is a prefect example of a Fatrab. Carolyn I think this is a great topic to bring up...:D

Carolyn wrote:
Pam,

Is it safe to say the measure of whether a rabbit is over orunderweight should be compared to and determined by the breed of therabbit? Do they have bone structures in the Standards? If a rabbit is amix, would you go towards the breed that seems most prominent in therabbit's build?

Thanks.

:)

-Carolyn

Basically, Yes. If you compare a St. Bernard to a Whippet,you not a distinctly different body type and bone structure.The Whippet, compared to the St. Bernard would appear to be starving todeath if you were not familiar with the unique, slender type and finebone structureof the whippet.

You can make a similar comparison with the French Lop and a breed suchas the slender English Spot. The French Lop may appear overweight due to the normal tendency of its skin to be veryloose. The longer typed English Spot may appear to some to beunder weight, however it has a distinctly different body type and finerbone structure than the French Lop.

Your rabbit's activity level can also indicate if the rabbit is overweight. If it is lethargic, tires easily or has a hard timegrooming itself, it may be overweight.

So, it is actually a combination of signs that can be used to indicate whether or not your rabbit is overweight.

Pam

I think of Elf as "pleasingly plump"... Shedoesn't have a hard time cleaning herself or getting around. She's asrambunctious as any rabbit during her morning or evening romp about thehouse. She probably did have some excess pudge during her cheapo foodstage--which probably contributed to her lovely dewlap. Now she lookspretty sleek in comparison. :) I'm happy with how she is now. If sheseems to start having troubles, I'll adjust food accordingly.

I made a huge mistake by feeding my first bunnytoo much of the wrong kind of food. It was a pellet mix withdried fruit, carrots, seeds, etc. She was young when I gother and I was told to feed her unlimited pellets. I didn'tknow you were supposed to stop when they're three months old!When it became obvious she had a weight problem, I researched and founda good feed (Oxbow) and learned how much to feed and when.Snuggy is really getting back in shape now (two months later) and islooking much better and dancing like crazy again! I need totake some photos now and post them so you can see the "before andafter". Don't be mad at me! I know betternow. I'll never let that happen again.

Carolyn's Good Friend; )

FatPics:

FatSnuggy.jpg

FatSnugg2.jpg

Thank you for the bump Carolyn. I really appreciate it.

I'll bookmark this page for reference.

:clap:

I'm getting worried now...

I've beenkeeping Emmy ona diet for about 2 weeksnow (15 days) and it looks like she's been gaining weight more thanlosingweight actually. I've PM Carloyned about a diet, alongthose lines and she said to give less pellets and more hay. I've donethis for the last 2 weeks..am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks,

Katy

Emmy-webby wrote:
I'm getting worried now...

I've been?keeping Emmy on?a diet for about 2 weeks now (15 days) and itlooks like she's been gaining weight more than losing?weight actually.I've PM Carloyned about a diet, along those lines and she said to giveless pellets and more hay. I've done this for the last 2 weeks..am Idoing anything wrong?

Thanks,

? Katy

How's Emmy doing, Katy?

-Carolyn

Thankyou all!:D

I would like to take time to state how usefull u guys all are! This isa very educating forum filled with lots of friendly and pleasantpeople. We have are ups and downs, but we all stick together.*As one* :pink iris:

Thanks for bumping Carolyn. I'mactually really worried that my 3-month-old mix isunderweight. Recently he got over thesnuffles, andhe seems very active, but I can feel his ribs easily, and his hip bonesprotrude. I feed him unlimited grass hay (an oat, wheat, andbarley mix and timothy hay) and Kaytee pellets. I used togive him a handful of greens until the vet said that wasn't good forbaby rabbits.

The problem is I've noticed him losing weight ever since I stoppedfeeding him greens. What should I do to put some weight onhim? Feed alphalfa hay? Feed a differentpellet? Feed him greens again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmm, now that I read this I'm worried aboutCookie being underweight too. I can also easily feel hisspine and hip bones. He gets 1/8 cup of Oxbow pellets andalmost 2 cups of vegetables a day - and unlimited hay and he's only 2pounds. He doesn't get any treats except for a piece ofcarrot or melba toast (he loves it - what a wierdo) every now and thenand maybe a piece of fruit once or twice a week.

When we got him he was 3 pounds - but he was on pellets only and notgetting any run time, since then he's lost a pound, but is eating tonsbetter.... hmm.

Hi Nose_Twitch (I love that name!)

Was he on meds? It could be because of that that he's alittle low on weight. Stress can do ittoo. He doesn't have any parasites or troubles withpooping or peeing, does he?

I'd give him unlimited pellets at this point, you can also give himsome greens, but would go into it slowly rather than all atonce. Oats will help as well. Don't know what theratio of Kaytee pellets are, but I'd make sure the pellets you aregiving him are at least 12% or more of crude protein and 18%+ of crudefiber. If you do decide to switch pellets, do it slowlyaddinga bit of new pellets to the old ones and wean him offgradually as sometimes they can stress when changingfeeds. You might try a bit of NutriCal just to givehis system a boost and increase his appetite.

You could go to alfalfa hay, just be sure that his calcium contentisn't too rich if he does go on it. You'll notice it by hisurine looking more milky/white in color.

-Carolyn

HoneyPot wrote:
Hmm, now that I read this I'm worried about Cookie beingunderweight too. I can also easily feel his spine and hipbones. He gets 1/8 cup of Oxbow pellets and almost 2 cups ofvegetables a day - and unlimited hay and he's only 2 pounds.He doesn't get any treats except for a piece of carrot or melba toast(he loves it - what a wierdo) every now and then and maybe a piece offruit once or twice a week.

When we got him he was 3 pounds - but he was on pellets only and notgetting any run time, since then he's lost a pound, but is eating tonsbetter.... hmm.

Could always up the 1/8 of a cup for him until he's got a bit more meat on his bones.

How's his behavior and his poop and pee look? (See note above to Nose_Twitch.)

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will have to change hispellets slowly because Kaytee is less than 18% fiber. Any toanswer your question, yes, he was antibiotics for 10 days because ofsnuffles (poor baby). I'm sure that has something to do withit.

Latest posts

Back