Pls help me bond 2-1 buns.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy19

Reaction score
Hello can anyone here help pls!!, all 3 buns are males; A bonded pair is Dwarf (3.2 lbs) & Mini Rex (3.6 lbs) both about 1.5 yrs old and fixed about a year ago, new baby about 7.5 months old unknown breed, 4.2 lbs, fixed 10 weeks ago.

my bonding plan: I am going to put the bonded pair and baby in a pen with a barrier today to just allow them to see/smell each other for a few days during those days, I will start cleaning my bathroom with mixed vinegar, then I will put all 3 in the bathroom and watch what they react to each other for 15 mins for a few days. Then not sure what to do, wait till they all look like bonded? *** I am very scared as the baby used to escape and met with Dwarf, the result was Dwarf had a big ball of baby’s fur in his mouth but no actual bite. If anyone have any advise, pls let me help me, I really want them to be bonded 3 buns, and keep them all and we want them 24/7 free roaming buns.

Getting 3 males to bond may be a challenge. It will depend on their individual personalities. The introduction of a 3rd rabbit to an existing bonded pair runs the risk of breaking the original bond. If you are ok with that, then proceed. The idea of having them in side-by side areas (but separated) is a good one. However, it would probably be best to keep that arrangement for several weeks (possibly a couple months). Then the face to face bonding can begin.

Since a trio can be difficult to achieve, I'd suggest reading over the following site. Look on the right hand side for the Table of Contents to see #7. RABBIT GROUPS AND TRIOS. You can click on that to get you right to that section.
BONDING Bunnies : CottonTails Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescue

Thank you very much for all suggestions, that is really a big help. I have been studying to bond 3 in different webs but very hard to find a bonded pair with a new baby and all males. yes I am very scared that my bonded pair to be broken, and i am keeping my eyes are them all. my step one has started today when they all resting, I have put them in a pen, with a barrier, one side for bonded pair and one for the baby they can facing each other and now they all relaxing in their area nobody giving me headache yet. I have been switching their litter boxes for about a month before today. non of the 3 buns ever shown sign of aggressive toward us. I do really really really want them all bonded, i do not want to give up any as I will feel guilty for the rest of my life. I end up with 3 rabbits as my first beloved bun crossed the bridge and had badly depressed, my husband got me one at a time to help me heal, now I have to pay back what I have done. I do not want any of my innocence buns to be landing some where not safe and free roaming. so you have no idea how appreciate am I for your suggestions, thank you very much again.

I just finished bonding my two male rabbits, I can’t imagine trying to bond a trio. Good luck!
Just several tips:
1) Instead of swapping just the litter boxes, move the rabbits from cage to cage. That seemed to help my bunnies.

2) Take things SLOWLY!!!! There is no shame in a long bonding process, rushing things can cause a fight. I started the bonding process in November and my bunnies were officially bonded a little over a week ago. Housing the rabbits beside each other for a month or so before letting them meet face to face worked super well for my rabbits.

3) Nipping was a huge problem for my rabbits. At the beginning I would separate them, but after a while I used a spray bottle with water and that ended the habit very quickly.

I just finished bonding my two male rabbits, I can’t imagine trying to bond a trio. Good luck!
Just several tips:
1) Instead of swapping just the litter boxes, move the rabbits from cage to cage. That seemed to help my bunnies.

2) Take things SLOWLY!!!! There is no shame in a long bonding process, rushing things can cause a fight. I started the bonding process in November and my bunnies were officially bonded a little over a week ago. Housing the rabbits beside each other for a month or so before letting them meet face to face worked super well for my rabbits.

3) Nipping was a huge problem for my rabbits. At the beginning I would separate them, but after a while I used a spray bottle with water and that ended the habit very quickly.
oh Thank you very much, I really appreciate your great ideas, to swapping the side of the pen they are in, and yes I have changed my original plan by expending face to face to be at least 4 weeks then see how they react in my bathroom, if they need more time that will be ok too. and yes I am very worried if they will have injury, even non shown aggressive before. The 3 buns are behaving well toward my husband and I, never bite but the Dwarf nips a few time while I cut his nails. I try to relax but to be honest with you, I am not lol I hope they can feel my willingness&love and go easy on me.

Hey" bond 2-1buns" : 2 questions...1) the pair and the baby often come to the barrier and put their noses at the barrier sometimes chew the barrier. Is that good sign? or are they trying to get to fight to each other?
2) Can I take them out one at a time for 30 mins or an hour a day to run around the house? I am feeling bad to put my buns in the pen as they normally free roaming,

When i bonded my current pair, they had their bases side by side and took turns freeroaming. In the morning one would be running around the house while in the evening the other would get their turn. Both got to be out at least three hours. At first i had to keep a close eye when they went to meet at the enclosure walls as they would often want to nip one another, but it stopped after a week or two so i no longer worried about that. I did box swaps from time to time and base swaps every other day. It took a month for me to feel that they were far enough along and a little more for my schedule to open up, so i began neutral face to face only after that. I wouldn't know though if you would want to let the bonded pair have their time together or split freeroam into three parts.

When i bonded my current pair, they had their bases side by side and took turns freeroaming. In the morning one would be running around the house while in the evening the other would get their turn. Both got to be out at least three hours. At first i had to keep a close eye when they went to meet at the enclosure walls as they would often want to nip one another, but it stopped after a week or two so i no longer worried about that. I did box swaps from time to time and base swaps every other day. It took a month for me to feel that they were far enough along and a little more for my schedule to open up, so i began neutral face to face only after that. I wouldn't know though if you would want to let the bonded pair have their time together or split freeroam into three parts.
Oh thank you 🙏 very much, that’s helping my stress lots, I am afraid the bonded pair could be broken so I let them out together an he this morning and the baby out yesterday evening an hr but now I know I can increase their outside time 😁

Latest posts

Back