Please Tell Me What Type Of Rabbit This Is.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysmom

Reaction score
I got a new rabbit last Saturday.

This is my very first rabbit and I would like some help identifying her breed please.

I have spoken with a few other more experienced rabbit owners and they all commented on how extremely long her ears are.

I was at first thinking she was Himalayan, but she is 8-9 months old and weighs around 2 pounds.

So, then I thought maybe Californian.

Now I am just confused! LOL!

Her ears, feet, tail and nose are a smokey grey color.

She is extremely social and nosey...very playful!

Her name is Bunny. Original I know, but that's what happens when you let your kids name your rabbit! Thank you so very much for any help.

I am horrible about identifying breeds - I really only know lionheads.

However, I will tell you that she is the himilayan color (which is now being called "pointed white" to distinquish it from the breed that is called himilayan).

Did you really mean to say 8-9 MONTHS (or 8=9 weeks)? If she is 8-9months she is going to have to be one of the smaller breeders like Netherland Dwarf mix or something like that...simply because of her weight. If she is 8-9 weeks - then a larger breed is quite possible.

Pam Nock is our resident expert and we have several others here that are great at identifying breeds - I hope one of them will help you soon!

Peg

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was told that she was 8-9 months. I am not at all familiar with rabbits, so I don't really know what would help me to distinguish months vs. weeks.

You are not the first to ask me if I in fact meant weeks instead of months.

Do ya'll know any way that I might be able to tell from her behavior? Is there anything that an 8 month old would do but an 8 week old would not be doing just yet?

Again, thanks so much for the reply.

Well, I'm going to use the example of an unspayed female because that is what I know the best.

An 8 week old is still a "baby" in a way. Sometimes they'll run and jump...and not be quite "with it" in the jump. Sort of like an awkward child who has just learned to walk. They're curious about everything and sometimes they'll cuddle - other times they'll be so full of energy and curiousity that they do NOT want to be held at all but they want to play, play, play.... Fun is the word for them!

An 8 month old though...is more established in who they are. They are the boss (somewhat) and they will mark their turf - sometimes by peeing or pooping to mark their spots around the house. A doe at this time of year in the US will probably be digging in her cage 'cause its spring time and a doe is supposed to dig (and breed). Its just in their instinct. She may be grumpy with you and territorial about her cage. Where by a baby looks at you when you open the cage and go "playtime"and want out - a doe may be a bit more shy and go, "What do you want with MY cage?"

This isn't to say that 8 month olds won't play and enjoy themselves -they do! But it isn't with a type of energy that almost makes their body shake.

I guess that to me (I hope you've been around dogs) - an 8 week old bunny reminds me of a puppy that just HAS to wag its tail - hard - all the time. It wants to get into trouble and mischief. Whereby an older dog may love to play - but it doesn't seem to just BOUNCE...?

I hope I've made some sense..

Peg

Edited to add: Nice to see anothr Texan on the board...I live in SW Texas...

Thanks so much for the info on how they may behave at different ages. I guess this is especially hard for me since it is my first.

She is VERY playful. Lots of "Binkies" when she is outrunning around. She loves for us to play chase her.I always expect her to wag her tail, that is how happy she is!

When I open her cage it really depends on how she acts. If I am feeding her then she will run up to me, other times I get a mixed reaction. Sometimes she will run to the corner, but her ears remain up and forward, but she is turned away from me.

I am going today to look at baby rabbits that are 6 months old. Maybe once I see them I will be able to say for sure how old she is.

She does dig around a lot in her cage. Seems more like she does it to get to food that has been dropped.

I do so love her big ears also! Especially when she is being nosy and they are so forward they almost flop over! LOL!

With those huge ears, she looks more like an 8-9week old Californian than an 8-9 month old Himalayan. I'm guessing she still has a lot of growing to do because she has to growin to her ears. Not that they'll be small when she's full grown, just that they'll be a little more in proportion to the rest of her. I do love her ears though!

Thank you for the reply.

I went this morning and got a second rabbit. They are side by side for now, until I can get them altered.

The new rabbit has the same markings as the first one, but they are MUCH darker and more pronounced.

There are several other differences as well.

The second/new rabbit's ears are much shorter, the fur is a different texture...more "fuzzy", where as the first rabbit has very short smooth fur, the body is different also, the first rabbit is very "meaty" and gives one the impression that it will be fat (I mean that in a cute way), the new rabbit is rather slender. That could be because of how it was housed, maybe it had to wait or fight for food.I don't know.

I think I ended up with two different breeds that happen to have the same color and markings.

Now that I have a six month old rabbit (the second/new), I am pretty sure that the first rabbit is weeks instead of months. They are just about the same size, but the first one is heavier...you can't tell by looking. But, when you pick her up she is more stout than the new one.

I hope this hasn't been to confusing with all the "first rabbit" "second/new rabbit" stuff.

I think it will be easier for me to identify the breed of the second/new rabbit because it is six months old and from what I have read they are pretty much mature size by that age.Right? If that is the case the first rabbit is going to be areal WHOPPER! LOL!

Thank you all for the help and information, and of course the compliments to her ginormous ears! LOL!

I don't know, but that face says WEEKS to me, not months. Where did you get her? Also, are you sure she's a she? If you got her from a pet shop, you have fifty-fifty odds of her being a he. I am very appreciative of the fact you are keeping the two of your rabbits separate until they are fixed, BTW. A lot of new rabbit owners are not that responsible.

This is the story of how Bunny found us:

Last Saturday I had to run a few errands. I stopped by the convenience store on my way home. There was an old pick up truck parked with a cage in the back of it. 4 little rabbits were all curled up against each other. I am in Texas and we had SUPER STRANGE weather last weekend. It was snowing. So, these little rabbits are in the cage with wire bottom, no food, no type of bedding at all. I felt sorry for them. I had never even considered owning a rabbit.When the man came out of the store I asked him how much, and he told me. I only had change enough for one...so I stuck my hand just inside of the cage and waited for one to come to me.Bunny immediately ran to me. I scooped her up and have been loving her every minute since.

I asked the man if they were aggressive, and he replied "No, they're just babies. They are only 8-9 months old". DH swears that I misunderstood and the man actually said 8-9weeks. Could very well be.

From the replies here and from what I have read I am also leaning more towards weeks.

I have no idea if she is in fact a she...but that's what I call her! LOL!

Do not be surprised if 'she' is a 'he'. Most breeder will tell you that bucks are friendlier towards people and make better pets. The fact that the rabbit came towards you on its own sort of has me thinking it could be a buck. Of course, some baby rabbits are always curious anyways!

I remember our snow last weekend. We didn't have it here where we live- but hubby drove up to see the kids in Alpine, TX and on his way back (and maybe there - I forget) he had snow, sleet, and hail. Said it was almost as much fun as when we lived in Alaska!

Peg

If she is 8/9 weeks then you will have a 8/10 lb rabbit if she is a California. Those ear are big. Big ears = big bunny. When I keep any of my babies I always pick the biggest ears, hasn't let me down yet.

I'm ROFLOL at this.

I breed lionheads. Whenever I keep any of my babies - I pick the ones with the SMALLEST ears..

:D

Peg

jil101ca wrote:
When I keep any of my babies I always pick the biggest ears, hasn't let me down yet.

That is funny ya'll. Differences in preference I suppose!

I really do appreciate ya'lls help and input so much.

So, is everyone leaning towards Californian?

I vote 100% Californian. With those big ears! Whooo....yes, I would say only 8 to 9 weeks. You are going to have a larger bunny on your hands:D.

[align=center]"The Californian breed was developed by George West. It was the result of cross breeding the Himalayan breed and the Standard Chinchilla breed. The rabbit was created to produce a good commercial meat rabbit. [/align][align=center]The Californian's body type is of the commercial type. It is a plump, firm, and meaty rabbit. The color points on the Californian should be as dark as possible and the white part of the coat should be a pure snow white."[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]"Pure white body with black points, pink eyes.[/align][align=center]
[align=center]Senior Bucks-8 months of age and over, weight 8-10 lbs. Ideal weight 9lbs.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Senior Does-8 months of age and over, weight 8 1/2-10 1/2 lbs. Ideal weight 9 1/2lbs.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Int Bucks-under 8 months of age, not over 9 lbs.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Int Does-under 8 months of age, not over 9 1/2 lbs.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Jr. Bucks-under 6 months of age, not over 8 lbs. Min weight 5 1/2lbs.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Jr. Does-under 6 months of age, not over 8 1/2 lbs. Min weight 5 1/2lbs.[/align][/align][align=center]Pre-Jr. Bucks & Does-under 3 months of age, not over 5 1/2 lbs."[/align]

Carrot.jpg

Taken from:http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.com/Breed_Gallery/Californian.htm

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

EDIT TO ADD: you're bunny doesn't have brown feet though......hrrrrm.....could your bunny be a Californian/New Zeland cross or something?

Bunny's feet are a very pale shade of smokey grey. I guess they may get darker with age???

Thank you all so much! So, now I know I have a big fat Californian...(said with a great deal of affection!)

The new/second rabbit is so laid back and relaxed. He/she is perfectly content to just cuddle in the crook of your arm or sit on your lap. Totally different from Bunny. Now I can really see what TinysMom meant. Bunny is all about playing and nibbling and jumping!

I will get some pictures of the new rabbit (Bambi) tonight and see if ya'll can help me with him/her. I bet ya'll will get that one right off! LOL! He/she pretty much looks like a darker/skinnier version of Bunny.

I tentatively tried to sex Bambi last night. First off I am still way scared of those back feet! And secondly it is something that I have never done before so I am kind of hesitant about pulling and seperatng all of their little parts...LOL! I swear Bambi looked at me like I had lost my mind!

Yay! I am thrilled that you have such a big lovely bunny! He looks so sweet with his large ears:).

Don't worry about the sexing thing. It is kind of awkward though. I had to do it with my guinea pigs and they also gave me dirty looks as if to say "Mom, get real....look at this sweet face....couldn't you tell I was a boy?":D.

If she is 8-9 weeks of age, I'd guess possibly a himalayan of himi mix. We bred himis and they are the most homely babies I've ever seen LOL Commercial breeds generally weigh abouyt 3-5 lbs. at that age.

Pam

Thanks again ya'll. Everyone here has been so nice and helpful.

I have read so much about this type of breed has this type of personality and that type of breed has that type of personality...etc,etc,.

I guess that also varies greatly from rabbit to rabbit.

I know I am amazed at the differences in personalities between the two I have!

Can the vet typically tell you what breed?

Undergunfire, you hit the nail on the head when you said akward! It just feels so wrong! But, I think nothing of flipping a dog over to see if it is a boy or girl.Because I have always been around and used to breed dogs.Rabbits are all new territory for me! LOL! Who knew their girly or boyish parts would be so well hidden!

I think I'm going to go with Californian, seems to fit the bill. There is no telling what type of mix she maybe. The guy I got her from gave me the "Backyard Breeder"impression. He probably didn't even know for sure what they were. There were 4 babies in the cage, 3 colord like my Bunny, and one smokey grey one. I would guess they were from the same litter because they were all the same size...but I could be waaaaay off on that also.

Hehe, I know....its so easy to tell what a piggie, dog, horse, rat, mouse, ect is. I didn't check to see what Madilyn was when I got her. I trusted the breeder. I thought it would have been funny if she went in for her spay and the vet called me to tell me she was a he, haha!

Latest posts

Back