Please send good wishes. Baci is at the vet now.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hln917

Reaction score
Please send good wishes to Baci. He's sick again. He stop eating this morning. He had his lettuce and pellets and hay last night. However he only pooped about 1/8 of his normal this morning and nothing all day. Hubby gave him Mylicon, CC, and benebac. He syringe some water. When I came home by 4, he did poop but not the normal size and peed a little. He looks like he has an appetite. He didnt failed the treat test. When I opened the craisin bag to see if he would move, he came running out of his house. I only gave him one. When he ate it, he was making a slapping noise with his tongue and grinded his teeth. Hubby is now at the vet with him. Baci has been thru so much in his life and it breaks my heart to see him like this. I am so scared and can't stop crying.

I'm so sorry, Helen. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for Baci to pull through this. You both have my good wishes, sending healing vibes your way as well.

:pray:

hln917 wrote:
Please send good wishes to Baci. He's sick again. He stop eating this morning. He had his lettuce and pellets and hay last night. However he only pooped about 1/8 of his normal this morning and nothing all day. Hubby gave him Mylicon, CC, and benebac. He syringe some water. When I came home by 4, he did poop but not the normal size and peed a little. He looks like he has an appetite. He didnt failed the treat test. When I opened the craisin bag to see if he would move, he came running out of his house. I only gave him one. When he ate it, he was making a slapping noise with his tongue and grinded his teeth. Hubby is now at the vet with him. Baci has been thru so much in his life and it breaks my heart to see him like this. I am so scared and can't stop crying.
let us know the outcome,,baci sounds like a charmer,,best wishes for speedy recovery...sincerely james waller:wave::pink iris:

Wishing you and Baci good luck. What did the vet say? Let me know if you need help with anything. PM me if anything.

Thank you for all your good wishes. You guys are making me cry again by reading them! We really appreciate it.

Baci was given a shot of Metocam and Metaclopromide yesterday at the vet. His prescription include ~ Metocam, Metaclopromide and Cisapride. When he came home, he ran straight to his potty and peed a little and had 10 poops. (Yes, we've resorted to counting them!) He ran into his house and poked his head out for a couple pieces of hay. I placed the plate of lettuce and he took a couple of pieces. However that was it. We fed him some CC and pedialtye. Poor hubby literally stayed up all night with him. Unfortunately he didn't go to the bathroom overnight. He did run around a bit up and down the stairs but stayed in the hunched up postion most of the night.

It was so hard to go into work today buthubby stayed home with him. He did eat a couple of pellets this morning and pooped a bit more. Still feeding him CC since he won't eat on his own.(I'm going to see if I can find the Apple flavor CC since he hates he Anise flavored one.) We noticed that he was sitting on top of thedvd player last night realizing the heat was soothing, so we placed a hot water bag under a fleece pillowcase and he's been laying on it. Not used to seeing him so "quiet."

We just have to wait, if he's not eating on his own by tomorrow, we'll have to take him back to the vet. Keep your fingers crossed!

the most important thing is hydration

get some pedialyte and give that orally (as much as he will take) or better yet have your vet teach you to do sub Q fluids
Almost nothing is going to be effective if the bun becomes dehydrated. You have to take a very active role

hln917 wrote:

Baci was given a shot of Metocam and Metaclopromide yesterday at the vet.  His prescription include ~  Metocam, Metaclopromide and Cisapride.   When he came home, he ran straight to his potty and peed a little and had 10 poops.  (Yes, we've resorted to counting them!) He ran into his house and poked his head out for a couple pieces of hay.  I placed the plate of lettuce and he took a couple of pieces.  However that was it.  We fed him some CC and pedialtye.  Poor hubby literally stayed up all night with him.  Unfortunately he didn't go to the bathroom overnight.  He did run around a bit up and down the stairs but stayed in the hunched up postion most of the night.  .....  Not used to seeing him so "quiet."

We just have to wait,  if he's not eating on his own by tomorrow, we'll have to take him back to the vet.  Keep your fingers crossed!
Hi Helen. I pmed you but then I read your latest here. This sounds exactly like Toby. He was nibbling a little hay, pellet, lettuce, and all hunched up in his wooden hidey box. Because he was still nibbling and still eating canned pumpkin (for a bit of moisture and extra fiber, laced with benebac for probiotics), I actually skipped the critical care altogether. I took away his pellets when he was feeling very bad so that he would eat more lettuce (for moistur) and hay (for roughage) if/when he was hungry. I don't know if that's a good strategy, but it did serve my intended purpose for Toby's stasis condition.

It sorta sounds like the vet didn't do anything to hydrate Baci though. If you can go, get some sub q fluids in him, it would be really good.

Actually the vet did give him Sub Q, a vitamin B complex injection, melexicam and metoclopramide injections. He's still not eating on his own, he doesn't like the pumpkin so it's still CC. We've been giving him alot of Pedialyte and he's been peeing, however he only had 1 big poop earlier today. Nothing since. I posted the picture b/c I'm not sure if it's normal. Any ideas?

bacispoop.jpg

Right now he's back hiding in his house cleaning himself like crazy. Another question, I've noticed the buns clean themselves alot when they're sick. Why?

Just wondering how experienced your vet is with rabbits? With the metaclopramide and cisapride....that leads to some serious questions. Those drugs cause a lot of pain and carry a lot of risks. I don't know of any vet that will use them in a rabbit. Hydration is much better and safer than using those drugs. I suggest doing everything you can to hydrate him....and certainly the heat is soothing. I wouldn't sweat the food too much yet.....hydration is far more important. Other than those two drugs, sounds like you are doing a great job.

Randy

Randy, she was referred by the HRS. I'm taking Baci back to the vet later and I'll ask her. He still hasn't pooped since that 1 drop yesterday morning. He has peed because we've been giving him plenty of Pedialtye. He was grinding his teeth alot last night. We gave him a dose of Metacam but after an hour he was still grinding. Shouldn't it have taken effect by then? We were told only to give 1 dose daily. Will more be harmful? He's still alert, he'll come running if he hears any kind of plastic bag noise thinking it's a Craisin. I know he'll take that but I won't give him any. Afraid the sugar will make his stomach worse. He'll nibble 1 bite of the lettuce and pellet but then give up so I know he does have an appetite. We've been feeding him the CC. He puts up a little fight b/c he hates the taste of it.

I found him sitting on top of the dvd player again this morning all hunched up, so I put a hot water bag inside a fleece pillow and placed him in his cage. After a couple minutes of making his bed and sitting hunched up, he flopped over on his side. I took it as a good sign b/c that meant he was comfortable for a bit. Do I have my hopes up too soon? I know he's still not feeling well b/c right now he's sitting in his cage rather than coming down on the floor.

I can't call the vet till 9am and unfortunately it's snowing out there! But hey, we'll put on our skis if needed just to get him back to the vet!

I send to you my warmest thoughts and well wishes that every thing turns out to be ok. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back