PLEASE READ - RUPERT IS VERY SICK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f_j

Reaction score
When I got home from work today, I noticed Rupert wasn't moving around much and hadn't pooped or eaten, so we took him to the vet. She said he was very swollen so she took xrays and had a dangerous amount of gas, due to a blockage of some sort. She said it didn't look good...but she used a tube to get a lot of the gas and a lot of fur out of his stomach...then gave him simethicone and he is home now, but she doesn't know yet if she got enough out...it could just build up again. I am so upset right now I can barely type...I honestly didn't think we would be bringing him home...She said we need to keep checking his stomach throughout the night.

Has ANYONE been through this before? Can you please give me any advice??

You have a rabbit savvy vet, there, so that's good. I'll grab a Library link for you in a second, from someone who has been through it and studied it. (Bloat is different from gas).

Do you have thermometer? Very important to watch for temperature drops and re-bloating. He can re-bloat a number of times, andmay need the same procedure re-done.

Here's the link...

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.html

sas :pray:

Warm a towel in the dryer or microwave or something - or use a heating pad on low - hold him on it and gently rub the sides of his tummy.... did you get more simethicone? you should give him more if it's ok with the vet.

:pray:

Thanks to both of you....his ears do feel cold, but it partly might be because he is coming out of the sedation/anasthetic (they had to put him under to insert the tube). We are warming up some blankets in the dryer now. I'm so worried, I just want him to be okay...

Oh no!

Yea, I think you should get your own simethicone (baby gas meds), give him one dropper every hour or two, and massage his tummy.

I know it is scary, I went through it awhile back with Phinn, but not very badly.

Try and get some food or water into him.

Hold in there!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Warm a towel in the dryer or microwave or something - or use a heating pad on low - hold him on it and gently rub the sides of his tummy.... did you get more simethicone? you should give him more if it's ok with the vet.

:yeahthat:

And you can also put a sock full of rice in the microwave and let him cuddle with that. You're right, he's going to be cold coming out of the anesthetic, so doubly important.

You're doing all the right things. He stands the best chance.

sas :clover::pray:

PS: I would assume that if his bloat is from a blockage and it's not accompanied by diarrhea, you're ahead in thegame.

They gave hima SubQ infusion I trust? Did they give you any to take home? Even without the diarrhea, warm hydration is important.

PPS: Be very cautious re: tummy rubs with bloat, the gas is already pressing on internal organs, it's not just pockets like normal gas attacks. I do believe exercise is good, though, but check the link I posted earlier, I haven't read it lately.

Yes, they gave him Sub Q fluids, but not any to take home. He just had a few sips of water, is that a good sign? Thanks for the info on tummy rubs, I'll lay off those for now. Thank you so much for your help.

Pipp wrote:
PS: I would assume that if his bloat is from a blockage and it's not accompanied by diarrhea, you're ahead in thegame.

They gave hima SubQ infusion I trust? Did they give you any to take home? Even without the diarrhea, warm hydration is important.

PPS: Be very cautious re: tummy rubs with bloat, the gas is already pressing on internal organs, it's not just pockets like normal gas attacks. I do believe exercise is good, though, but check the link I posted earlier, I haven't read it lately.

My guy Buster had gas once and it was very scary. I really thought he might die. That's how he looked. Pipp said that one of her buns would look like that, like he/she might die, then he would suddenly come around. That's exactly what happened with Buster. I'm wishing for Rupert to get well soon!

f_j wrote:
Yes, they gave him Sub Q fluids, but not any to take home. He just had a few sips of water, is that a good sign? Thanks for the info on tummy rubs, I'll lay off those for now. Thank you so much for your help.

You don't have to lay off the massages if he's not bloated, they will still be very helpful --as will simethicone, pedialyte, exercise and pain meds.

But when/if he rebloats, you have to be very careful.

Drinking is good. Sub Qs are best if he's shocky, but if he's reasonably settled and warm, warm water or better yet, Pedialyte, will be very helpful.

Pipp wrote:
f_j wrote:

You don't have to lay off the massages if he's not bloated, they will still be very helpful --as will simethicone, pedialyte, exercise and pain meds.

But when/if he rebloats, you have to be very careful.

Drinking is good. Sub Qs are best if he's shocky, but if he's reasonably settled and warm, warm water or better yet, Pedialyte, will be very helpful.

Thanks for readdressing that, Pipp. I always forget that the bloat and tummy rubs are an issue.

I think putting them on the warm towels or something and just petting them sometimes is what has been suggested in those circumstances. That's what I did with Bo and he loved it. He also felt better right after that.

Gosh this is so scary! I just hope all is well soon! Poor baby! :(

I am very happy to say that Rupert is doing much better today. We took him back to the vet first thing this morning and the pocket of gas that she couldn't get out with the tube is gone. She said our tummy rubs through the night probably got rid of it. She said his tummy felt nice and soft and normal today. We were up all night with him...we got him warmed up with blankets (thank you for the suggestion) and kept checking his tummy and his ear temperature. He still hadn't eaten...but when we brought him home from the vet he immediately started eating some hay! So we haven't given him the critical care yet...we might give him a little in a bit, but now we're just letting him get settled back in. Please keep sending good thoughts our way!

Oh thank goodness he's feeling better. You guys did a great job with him. I will say a prayer that he gets to be 100% real soon.

Susan:sickbunny:

Bo would go back and forth when he was sick. So, you need to really focus on his diet and excercise and do the warm towel thing just to make sure each day.

The warm towels I guess help the gas move out or something. They like it too LOL!

I'm so glad he's doing better! YAY!

That's what I was thinking! HAY! I think I'd give him his timothy hay and get him some orchard grass or oat hay to give him a bit of variety to encourage eating.

Thanks so much everyone. Rupert's stomach still feels fine, and his ears are still warm, but he still isn't acting like himself. He did eat a bit of hay when we got home, but I don't know if he ate much more. We tried to give him some Critical Care, but most of it ended up everywhere but his mouth. He's going back to the vet in about an hour to get checked again...I hate stressing him out like this but I want to be sure he's okay. He just had kind of a funny looking poop....

Latest posts

Back