PLEASE READ - RUPERT IS VERY SICK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I forgot to mention, that in the middle of the night, Rupert seemed to be moving around more so we opened up his cage. BIG mistake. When he came out, Penelope went nuts, jumping all over the place thumping, then jumping ON him. It seemed to really scare him. So they are both caged right now. Looks like we'll have to do some re-bonding once Rupert is all better.

Im so glad to hear Rupert is doing better! Sometimes when one bunny gets ill, the other will ignore or hump them. Im sure a few easy bonding sessions and all should be well again.

So is he eating and pooping normally? Id still make sure hes getting lots of fluids and lots of hay :)

YAY Rupert!!! I'm glad he's feeling better! It sounds like he'll be okay. :hug2:

Haley: Why would they start to hump asick bunny? That's sort of strange!! Wouldn't it just stress out the sick bunny more, I don't get it!

Eited because: I got the wrong icon :p

Dominance

TK Bunnies wrote:
Haley: Why would they start to hump asick bunny? That's sort of strange!! Wouldn't it just stress out the sick bunny more, I don't get it!

Its a dominance thing. When one bunny is sick it throws the power balance off. The one knows somethings not right with the other and its trying to assert dominance.

Basil did this to Max when he was sick. It made me so mad bc youre right, it does stress the other one out. Its just instincts though. They'll either hump them, fight with them, or just ignore them. Ive always heard that if you have a bonded pair and one is ignoring the other, get that bunny to the vet asap because its likely its mate knows something you dont and has said goodbye.

Smitten did that when Simon was very sick. She wanted nothing to do with him. Shewould step on him. I ended up removing him for his safety. Smit definitely knew he was dying.

Yepp that happened to us too, Pepsi started humping Ozzy out of nowhere, I freaked about it but within a day or two Oz was exactly the same way Rupert was. She definately knew before I did that he was sick.

Yeah, I guess Penelope was trying to become dominant over Rupert...I hope it is as easy to re-bond them as it was to bond them originally! I'm going to hold off on the re-bonding until Rupert is completely himself again, I don't want to stress him out. Penelope is not too happy about being caged again though! Rupert is doing well today. He is eating hay and pooping lots...still not eating many pellets, but hay is a good start. And he's drinking from his water bottle again, which is good. I'm so grateful that we have such an amazing vet, she saved his life. I still can't believe we almost lost him so fast.

Haley wrote:
TK Bunnies wrote:

Its a dominance thing. When one bunny is sick it throws the power balance off. The one knows somethings not right with the other and its trying to assert dominance.

Basil did this to Max when he was sick. It made me so mad bc youre right, it does stress the other one out. Its just instincts though. They'll either hump them, fight with them, or just ignore them. Ive always heard that if you have a bonded pair and one is ignoring the other, get that bunny to the vet asap because its likely its mate knows something you dont and has said goodbye.

Oh I get it now!!

That makes me wonder if that's why before Bud died he seemed so isolated form the other bunnies. He was on one side of the room while Teacup and Kali were on the other side.

Thanks for asking Jan! Yesterday he definitely had more energy and more poops...He's eating hay and his mat that he loves to chew/eat, but I only saw him take about two bites of pellets. He still doesn't seem to have eaten many today...but hopefully he will begin to eat more soon. I'm thinking that as long as he's eating something and things are moving, I don't have to worry too much. His poops are pretty much the normal size now, maybe a tiny bit smaller than usual, but definitely an improvement. You can really notice the weight he lost this weekend though, poor guy.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I've been giving him lots of opportunity for exercise. Oh, and he's drinking lots of water. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

-Lindsay

Okay, right after I made my last post I looked over at him and he is eating pellets!! Yay!

Latest posts

Back