Please help me!!!! ):

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
I need advice! I'm 12 and i convinced my mom to let me get a bunny! She barely let me it took forever to convince her! i've had my bunny since August 10th and it's been outside ever since. My mom absolutly will not let my bunny come inside!! im so scared he'll freeze because he's a rx and has short fur! he also has a wire cage so it's not wind proof!
~How do i convince her to let him come inside!
~How do i keep him warm outside if she doesn't let him!

I will be grateful to any 1 who helps!! please im soo worried about him!:shock:

-Ashley

Heres some resources on housing your rabbit, go through and read, then print them out or bookmark them and discuss with your mom
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

Does she know that rabbits don't smell and are easily housebroken? Have you talked to her about your concerns and hers? At 12 you're at a good age to show you can be responsible and want to take care of an animal the best you can, and sometimes that just means you need to show your mom that you've researched and aren't just whining, if that makes sense. Good luck and let us know!

When i convinced her i wrote a 7 page report haha:) it worked but she refuses to have the bun inside. I've been doing great at responsibility. i even litter trained my rex in 5 days. I love my bunny so much and i can't have him sad or hurt in any possible way!!
-Ashley

Aw, keeping a bunny in the house isn't that much more difficult than keeping a cat in the house! Once they're litter-trained and you properly bunny-proof, they're hardly trouble at all! They're very social and love to be around their people. Plus their bunny antics are just so adorable! I couldn't imagine having not having Gus in the house!

What are your mom's objections to keeping the bunny in the house? Maybe if we can help you address those concerns, she'll let you move him inside.

Hope that helps!

Rue

She says that it will be to hard to clean out the cage (it might be seeing as a have a odd design.) and that it will make a mess.. When ever i bring it up she says no and say "It will make a mess no." ):

-Ashley

Do you have other pets?

Yes, bunnies can make a mess in their cage with their hay and litter, but provided they have someone dedicated to cleaning it every day, there's no reason for that to be a problem.

As for the rest of the house, the only mess Gus makes is when he sheds (like he is right now. :p) or if we give him some newspapers or cardboard to tear up. But we always clean that up afterward.

Does she know you litter-trained him? Does she let him come into the house for playtime? It's not good for him to stay in his cage outside all the time. Bunnies need exercise and social contact.

Can you maybe move him into the basement or the garage for now, just so he's got some protection? Rabbits do okay in the cold, but sitting in the wind is deadly (for any animal, really).

Hope that helps!

Rue

I have him in the garage but it still gets really cold. We have a cat inside the house but he doesn't mind the bun. My mom lets me bring him inside but not on the carpet /: I have a huge pen outside that give him our whole yard to roam and i sit in there with him. i'll upload a pic of the cage tomorrow at about 12 but im not sure what time thts gonna be where you are. i have another cage to tht doesn't have a wire bottom i might use that to see if he can stay inside!! haha thx!

-Ashley

Haha, the 7 page report sounds like what I did for cats, rabbits, homeschooling... It is pretty effective! Anyway, good luck with getting them inside! :)

sorry to hear your plight! So lets look at your bunny as a homeless person; he/she needs ALOT of hay; cardboard box for a hidey home, warmth, cover; cardboard on the wire floor - throw a ton of newspapers in so that he/she can shred it an make insulation. Cover the pen with a tarp/blanket to protect against the cold.

A ton of love. Good luck.

Can you get hold of a large sheet of lino, or vinyl, or something, to place over the rabbit area? Then your mum wont have to worry about carpet. :)

Hurray.... Such a relief. Now just remember rabbits can be messy and destructive if not cleaned up after and watched. Check out the forum for tips on bunnyproofing and talk to your mom about a neutar surgery. If your going to keep a bun in the house this is very importent. It stops bad behaviors like spraying.

I have a normal cage but its not very big. It's 4 by 2. When i have him in the wire cage i always have something on the bottom too!:)
Thanks!!

-Ashley

rabbits tollerate coldmuch better then heat. just put an old blanket over the cage, change water daily (it teants to freeze)

aren't you a little young to be on this forum

I'm pretty sure there are all ages here Bunnychild, I know a lot of 4h'rs check in to learn :)

Latest posts

Back