Please help any ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahbunny

Reaction score
Hi there, i have had my bunnies , mummy and baby now for about a year, and this week noticed mummy had a sore eye.. eyeball fine , lovely and white, no tearing or wetness or puss.. just little sores and nicks around the eyelid which is looking a little sore and red.. only on one eye.. took to vets they had no clue.. said she was fine in health all ok, i asked if other bunny could get it he shook his head and now today i notice little bunny is starting with it on one eye.. mummy had a shot of antibiotics and eye drop once a day.. i am searching online but cannot find this anywhere.. all have weapy eyes as symptoms but mine havent got that, just sore scratchy looking skin... and he did say she has a tiny bit of red on nostril... Any ideas.. please help as dont want them to get too uncomfortable.. they live outside in large area, with grass , lots of mud which they love to dig, logs and upstairs is bunny bed with hay inside always clean and tidy as they poop in corner of grassy part.. Any ideas or links appreciated.. thank you x:bigtears:

bunny eye.jpg

yes i did think of syphilis but not seen anything around the genitals and vet never spotted anything wrong with her boty ! :blushan:
i wonder if it was bites what could be doing it.. i will have a search and see.. i did think ants, but it only seems to be on their eyes.. and she has no mites or flees.. coat is perfect.. puzzling.. i will get her back soon and suggest syphillis see what he says . thanks any other ideas or knowledge welcomed thank you.

Rabbit syphilis may show up only on the face. However, the treatment includes an injectible antibiotic (penicillin G) and that may be what the vet already did. It's definitely a good idea to call the vet and get an idea of what they thought it was, and/or what the names of the meds are.

thank you tony, the vet didnt seem to have much of a clue.. didnt mention syphilis but i will prob be taking them back soon if it doesnt clear and i will ask what they gave her... other rabbit is the same now so if it is the case can they get it by licking each other? if it is i need to make sure she is sorted too.. x

Yes, it is highly contagious and can be "sub-clinical" ie not showing any symptoms in one rabbit. The treatment is rather simple, 4-6 injections of penicillin g benzathine/procaine, spaced 5-7 days apart. Your vet may have given one dose of this, but a single dose isn't enough to make sure it is completely treated. I think 2 is the minimum.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

Thank you tony i will let them know at the vets and get them to test.. advice appreciated and will note it down.

Any update my bun has something similar I noticed today

hi jemm, i am taking them in next monday and the vet i told the symtpoms too seems to think it sounds like syphillis... they both getting a crusty nose now and eyes so looks like that is what it might be.. i gather they will do the course of injections (not orally i hear it can kill rabbits) so that is going to be costly for two bunnies but my babbies are worth it.. bless love them so much.. hate seeing anything wrong with them.. have you any pics jemm for others to have a look at.. put some up here i dont mind if you want their advice.. Sarah

i will let you know how it goes but if yours are showing i would suggest bunny syph to the vet and get them to test or treat asap.. i wouldnt leave it too long, their face can get in a right mess and our has progressed to a sore nose already xx :(

Latest posts

Back