Please advice for bunny with eye abscess, ongoing conjunctivitis, cloudiness and strange things

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebunbuns

Reaction score
Hello,

TLDR; Bunnyhas has abscess from cat scratch, conjuncfivits, swelling, enlarged, lack of response to light. on terramyacin for ongoing conjunctivitis. Suspected e coniculi only treated for 10-14 days not the 28. Please give me the dosage for the horse paste febENazole for a bunny weighing 4.6lbs?

My bunny Peaches was adopted just a couple months ago, she came to me with her right eye partially closed but I wasn’t sure what it was. She lived with two crazy dogs, a toddler and a kitchen Maine coon that was attacking her and playing and she’d just crouch. She was in a tiny cage most of the time. Got her home, wasnt sure about the eye. Slowly introduced her to another rabbit I adopted and they bonded, she mounts him a lot. theyre both free roaming in living room and dont use her cage ever.

After a week or so she started to Have pus. Started using terramyacin twice A day right away and it got better, then her eye started to bulge a week later and I freaked out. The receptionist. said appt in two days, stop the terramyacin. Brought her to the vet several times.
first time. Bulging. Said continue terramyacin four times a day, gave oral antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Second time bright her, stain was little blob. he wiped her eye with a qtip and did staining bc he could see it was just a. Circle and not heAled

Third time staining showed weird pattern, over half her eye and looked so weird. He seemed surprised. He said he needed to scratch her eye with needle to help her eye heal. Did that. I told him again that I was worried terramyacin wasn’t the drops to give bc she’d been more red when using them and it made her look inflamed Every time now. Gave her 9 days treatment for e. C Disease and said anything over two weeks he’d have to run a blood test.I said I was worried about my second bunny passing it back to her. He smilEd and said it was unlikely. They say they gave me twice as much supposedly, but not instructions. I decided to give it to both bunnies so she wouldn’t be reinfected (no they didn’t, it was enough for like six days to my second bunny and 12/13 for her)
I had no idea that the treatment period was supposed to be 28 days. He also prescribed oflaxacin instead. went home and put terramyacin on but she hid in pain. her pain was better no signs of healing tho. Eventually filled the liquid drops and stopped terramyacin. He said no oral antibiotics even though I asked for them c the infection is just her eye he said. she finished the liquid dewormer med they gave, it was white and .1ml A day.

Moving forward, on refill at 10-14ish days she missed a few eye drops A couple of days Bc pharmacy didn’t have her drops and I didn’t find out until late. her eye looked less red and even less Bloodshot When they were missed. I wanted to stop messing with her eye I felt the drops were irrating and preventing healong somehow. then I got worried and got the drops Refilledafter the two days.

She looked great except I felt her eye didn’t look right inside. Still showing cloudiness. I decided to shine a light. She didn’t close it, she didn’t react on that side. I saw no dilation, just darkness (this is very similar to what I’d seen before, but worse) I saw what I thought was something white at the bottom of the black. I freaked out. 😭😭😭 I was gonna take her to the vet or call next day. Next day I was busy and idk if i did the drops In the. Morning. Afternoon her eye was shut and I panicked crying for so long trying to find a vet to see her. I thought her eye had exploded or something bad had happened like my cat scratched her now. I couldnt get the ofloxacin in and it wasn’t working on the outside either. er vet finally had an exotic next day but I couldnt get her in the cage. She flipped out. Her eye was opened by the fear. I calmed down seeing her eye looked the same just puss and decided to try terramyacin again. Soaked her eye, put the terramyacin on outside. Immediateky better in two hours. Now it’s bene three days and I’m gonna switch vets bc he was sitting on the ground and had all the qtips on a gauze pad or papertowel and then after the treatment be out them back into the bupboard 😳😳😳😳😳 he only threw away what he directly used on her eye. Not the other stuff he’d touched. No washroom In he exam room either. Jsuf everything on the floor on a paper towel and I have contamination ocd. He said he only wanted to see her one more time and that he usually doesn’t need to do surgery.

i think she has e. Ciniculi. But never got full treatment. I don’t have a lot of money so cheapest option is horse paste for 9-15$ or $40 for liquid goat dewormer. Please advise me on how to figure the dosage for fhose. She’s 4.6lbs I believe. She’s a mstwo year old hollamd flop. Only sign is the eye but I’m definitely ready for a 28 day full treatment to give her the best shot.

I think she has e.c. Not fully treated, maybe glaucoma, haze from inflammation;I was told but looks like partial cataract forming. Also possible lense collapse, white calcification or maybe a tumor at bottom of her eye idk what that white stuff was. It looked like puss almost deep inside. She has slight enlargement all the time but looks better now with this round of conjunctivitis. I’m switching vets bc I don’t trust the other one with the tools on the ground and putting stuf back and likely contaminating And not giving the whole 28 day round. So the next visit will be $70 Just to meet the person and get their advice. We’re in southernmaine if anyone has recommendations for a knowledgeable vet w eye issues.

Recommendarions or ideas? Only one optometrist in Maine and I’m not financially able to keep doing this. I can’t afford surgery. I love her so much and don’t want her in pain. I’m a single mother and a lot of horrible **** is happening right now. I just want to treat her for Ec and give her a chance to heal as much as Possible. I know the e.c. damage might be ireeversible and glaucoma can be just a monitoring game 😔

Yes your rabbit does likely need to be on a systemic antibiotic. If your rabbit has a bulging eye and there is pus coming from the eye, a retrobulbar acscess is the likely cause, and antibiotic eye drops alone will do very little for that, if that's what's going on. Your rabbit needs to be put on a more effective systemic antibiotic, and this needs to be done immediately in my opinion. But even then surgery may be necessary, depending on how bad the eye is.

https://www.stortvet.com/eye-abscesses/
I had a rabbit that got a badly infected eye. The infection destroyed the eye as eye drops were unsuccessful. The infection spread behind the eye causing a retrobulbar abscess. She did have to have her eye removed and was put on azithromycin for a month as well as having to keep the pus cleaned out, but this did clear up the infection.

If your rabbits eye can still be saved, the proper systemic antibiotic could still possibly clear up the infection without having to have surgery done. There was a member on here who's rabbit developed a retrobulbar abscess, but the eye itself was still ok. The vet put their rabbit on pen g procaine/benzathine injections for several weeks, and it cleared up the infection. So in some circumstances the correct antibiotic treatment can work without having to result to surgery.

https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html
Please do try and find a more knowledgeable rabbit vet for a second opinion, even if you have to travel for a distance to get to one. Your current vet doesn't sound particularly knowledgeable to me. There are listings for rabbit vets in the link below, but I would also suggest doing your own research, looking at reviews, etc, to try and find a really good rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian
I'm confused as to why you suspect EC exactly, but honestly, if your rabbit does have a retrobulbar acscess, that's the first priority, as it's what could be immediately life threatening if not brought under control with the correct treatment. But if your rabbit does have EC, you shouldn't ever use the equine paste to treat it. It's intended for 1000 lb animals, not 5 lb rabbits, and it can be difficult to ensure the correct dose is given and not accidentally causing an OD.

Yes your rabbit does likely need to be on a systemic antibiotic. If your rabbit has a bulging eye and there is pus coming from the eye, a retrobulbar acscess is the likely cause, and antibiotic eye drops alone will do very little for that, if that's what's going on. Your rabbit needs to be put on a more effective systemic antibiotic, and this needs to be done immediately in my opinion. But even then surgery may be necessary, depending on how bad the eye is.

https://www.stortvet.com/eye-abscesses/
I had a rabbit that got a badly infected eye. The infection destroyed the eye as eye drops were unsuccessful. The infection spread behind the eye causing a retrobulbar abscess. She did have to have her eye removed and was put on azithromycin for a month as well as having to keep the pus cleaned out, but this did clear up the infection.

If your rabbits eye can still be saved, the proper systemic antibiotic could still possibly clear up the infection without having to have surgery done. There was a member on here who's rabbit developed a retrobulbar abscess, but the eye itself was still ok. The vet put their rabbit on pen g procaine/benzathine injections for several weeks, and it cleared up the infection. So in some circumstances the correct antibiotic treatment can work without having to result to surgery.

https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html
Please do try and find a more knowledgeable rabbit vet for a second opinion, even if you have to travel for a distance to get to one. Your current vet doesn't sound particularly knowledgeable to me. There are listings for rabbit vets in the link below, but I would also suggest doing your own research, looking at reviews, etc, to try and find a really good rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian
I'm confused as to why you suspect EC exactly, but honestly, if your rabbit does have a retrobulbar acscess, that's the first priority, as it's what could be immediately life threatening if not brought under control with the correct treatment. But if your rabbit does have EC, you shouldn't ever use the equine paste to treat it. It's intended for 1000 lb animals, not 5 lb rabbits, and it can be difficult to ensure the correct dose is given and not accidentally causing an OD.
Thank you for your reply and information ! I have not come across that diagnosis in my readings but it is something I have worried about Is a deeper infection. She is doing well now with her terramyacin and she will be seeing a new vet soon. The conjunctivitis was possibly from a bump into my finger that wasnt clean and is nearly clear up now just from putting it on a qtip on the outside of her eye. I definitely will be bringing up this possibility and requesting a systemic antibiotic regardless.

i focus on and I suspect EC bc her eye has a white something in the bottom, I read ex can form white plaque something in the blackness whcih might be what I’m seeing (and is not an easy abscess, not healing with treatment.) I do understand a cat scratch can penetrate deeply and close up fast trapping bacteria inside. I am also worried about ec due to seeing it’s common and the dr said it can attack the eye during an infection and have no other signs but he only gave her meds for preventative which is 10 days or something and not treatment which I’ve read is 28 days. People in this forum have administered a pea sized Amt of paste to rabbits successfully and treated head tilt and extreme neuro symptom. i believe the goat liquid is commonly prescribed and administered by the vet. They weigh out compounds and charge tons for a fraction. Of what you could buy directly otc or order online. The horse paste might be even the same percentage as the rabbit paste. I hear your concerns and that is my hesitancy with using it.

her eye looks much better today, less inflammatjon as long as she’s not stressed it doesn’t even bulge slightly. The redness gone except when terramyacin is applied. No pus or tear stains but her eye is not normal inside. There is. A haze and the weird whitneeds. She is responding to light more and I think is showing signs she can see a little more again. I will be asking for the dr to consider that diagnosis and oral antibiotics

she also:has an appt with the only optometrist in the state but it’s not for several monThs. Finances are a concern here unfortunately so I am trying to get help with funding and find the least expensive ways to access meds.

i did read the article and the dr said she doesn’t have tooth issues other than slightly w/crooked bottom teeth. She eats tons and now her eye isn’t hurting so bad from my ripping it open (I feel so bad) she’s out and bEhaving normally although she doesn’t trust me as much. I wasn’t that stupid the first time and used a cream immediatel.. I was scared to change her meds again

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back