Pleas Pray for Miley

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
Okay as I stated in my post about Urine Scald I am really worried about Miley. I don't know for sure if something is wrong but something doesn't seem right with her. I talked to the Humane's Society today because I had questions about what they were feeding her. To see if maybe all this switching foods is affecting her stomach. That is when I learnt that she had Urine Scald while in their care(that is why I posted the post Urine Scald what do I need to know). They had not told me that she had this before! So all day I was really concerned because I didn't know how bad it was or if it would return. So when I got home I had a plan. Since she does not like to be picked up and is very nervous I had the idea to carry her in the litterbox to the table. The table is at a height that I would get a good view at her butt.She was in her litterbox when I got home so I didn't waste any time. I picked up her litterbox and covered her body and eyes so she would not jump. I took her out on the table. I could not see her butt so I had to pick her up and flip her over. I flipped her and did not like what I saw. It looks like there is blood in her genital area and she has such a poopy butt. I made an emergency vet appointment for her tomorrow. I will ask the vet how to hold her, how to safely flip her over and how to wash a poopy butt. Please pray for my little bun bun.

Shannon

So sorry, but she sounds really ill. :( They remain alert even when extremely sick.

I'd start treating the possible causes of the scald anddiarrhea ASAP, but for now, the most important this will be keeping her hydrated.

If you can't get her to drink on her own, she'll need to have fluids syringe fed or administered to her via a needle under the skin by a vet.

If you have access to an emergency vet, just for the purposes of getting her fluids, I would take her in.

sas :pray:

Yup we are going to the vet tomorrow. I made anemergency appointment.As for beind dehydrated I don't think she is. She gets out of her litter box where she is laying and goes and drinks. But if I come near her while she is drinking she will run away, like she is scared of me.

I have to read all the stuff to treat urine scald and diarrhea.

Sorry Shannon, I meant right now. You have a critically ill rabbit. The urine scald isn't the issue, it's the blood, leaking urine and diarrhea causing dehydration, and the very serious health issue that's causing it.

She sounds lethargic and in pain.

Is she eating and drinking on her own? If not, are you giving her Pedialyte? Is she on antibiotics? (I haven't looked at your old threads).

It's tough because I don't think you've got a great 24-hour vet there (, and they probably charge a fortune. but it's also really not a good idea towait until tomorrow afternoon.

You may want to give them a call -- are they anywhere near you?

Animal Emergency Clinic
400 PEMBINA HWY Winnipeg, Manitoba R3L 2E7
Phone: 204-452-9427 Fax: 204-475-7692

EDIT: Just read your above post... It's good that she's drinking on her own. I'd still give herPedialyte. And I would stilltry and get treatment before tomorrow afternoon. If she has an infection or other issue serious enough to have blood present, she needs immediate treatment.Maybe you can at least get her into the rabbit-savvyvet first thing in the morning.

Things are going really well! It turns out that I was worried for nothing. The vet said that that was not blood at all but caked on poo. And she said that Miley has mild urine scald, that she has seen much much worse. The vet showed me how to hold Miley for everyday holding and how to hold her while we are cleaning her andhow to clean her up. She shaved some of the matted fur off with the caked on poo. The tool that she hadwas really neat. It was a small little Oster shaver. She gave her some pain medication for the urine scald and some Baytril incase there was an infection and to prevent infection.

Also, yesterday when I opened her ex-pen door she seemed to really perk up. She started running around the dinning room so I guess it was just a matter of her wanting to come out. The vet said that her always staying in her house or her litter box could just be her cautious nature, that Miley seems to be a very nervous bunny. She did after all just get here a day and a half ago. Or that her lack of running around could be that she is uncomfortable with her poopy butt. This is what it seems because when we got her home she ran around the cage.

The vet says I have a rabbit that has a lot of sass! Miley gave us kisses at the vets while we petted her. She dug the towel that the vet put down for her to have some grip.

I had so many questions that needed answering and the vet answered them all so it was really nice. I asked if I should up the cleaning of her litterbox to twice a day to try to keep it more sterile, she said yes. I asked her what we can expect with the medications that she is on etc.

Shannon

That's great news! What did the vet say about the poop problem? Any idea what it is caused by and how to correct it?

Sassy buns are the best.;)

She asked what Miley was eating. She said that the poops looked like the cecotrophes. That she may not be able to reach them soand they get stuck to her butt.

But you know what? I think that Miley and Oreo (her brother) may have been housed in a really small cage that was too small for them. The reason I am saying that is as she continues to get more used to the place and stays with us it looks like she is becoming more agile, flexible and is able to reach. Also she stands on her hind legs more then when she first got here. The same thing was with Oreo when we first got him. She was in the clinic so she was waiting approval so we didn't get them at the same time.

Oreo seemed not so flexible and strong when he first got here but after he was let out of his cage and got a couple of days exercise he was dong amazing jumps! I could not believe the jumps he was doing. At first he couldn't even jump over the bottom of the expen to leave his cage so we put things on for him to step on. Now he just avoids them and takes one flying leap and ends up inside the cage but way at the other end of the cage!

I think Miley has such a different personality to Oreo that we just have to get used to it. That she is more shy, timid and nervous. Oh and also, the vet said that Miley is at a good weight!

Shannon

She seems to be doing fine. She has diarrhea and I am not sure what from. The Doctor said that she has a parasite. She is on medication for it but I am not sure when it should be improving. I will bring her to the vet on Saturday if it doesn't get any better. She is active, runs around, eats drinks. Takes hermedication (Baytril). So I am not sure what to do. Hay is everywhere and I am trying to get her to eat it. Baytril is for preventing infection of the Urine Scald. And the medication for the parasites I can't tell you what it is because it doesn't say on it. The vet is off today so I can't call her.

I know that you're scared for her; I completely understand. But that's why you've made the vet visit: to find the cause of the symptoms and to treat them, to heal your sweet girl.

I'm thinking positive thoughts/sending prayers for Miley's fast and complete recovery.

:pray:

Jenk

ilovetoeatchocolate wrote:
And the medication for the parasites I can't tell you what it is because it doesn't say on it. The vet is off today so I can't call her.

:? That doesn't sound good. Diarrhea, from what Coccidiosis? Hopefullyyouknow what meds your pets are on, no matter the pet, no matter the circumstance.:? I wouldn't give my buns/pets anything unless I knew exactly what it was for.

You really should call to get the info on the meds you were given. Let us know how it goes.;)

Here's the thread on Diarrhea for buns!;)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Miley has had two days without diarrhea! Yeah for Miley!. She is still on Baytril twice a day. I took her to the vet again when she had really really bad diarrhea. They did a Urine Analysis and sent it to my regular vet. The regular vet was not working that day. They said that there was some white blood cells in the Urine Analysis. My vet said we will do a retest to see if the levels go down after the meds are done.

Miley has been eating hay and pellets and that is it. She seems to be in good spirits. Still has some gurgling in her stomach. Especially after taking the Baytril. So I am thinking that the medicine bothers her stomach.

Shannon

Latest posts

Back