Pinworms and toilet habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo. The annoyance strikes again.

I just wondered how long I should be scrubbing all the litter trays each day and if there comes a point where i can just do the ones from Lightning? And when to totally stop?

These wormies have really taxed my brain, hence all the questions, sorry.

RIP :sunshine:

[align=right]I don't need any comments or acknowledgements or especially prayers about this, I just wanted to know I had acknowledged him in a public place.[/align]

Flashy wrote:
Woo. The annoyance strikes again.

I just wondered how long I should be scrubbing all the litter trays each day and if there comes a point where i can just do the ones from Lightning? And when to totally stop?

These wormies have really taxed my brain, hence all the questions, sorry.

Ok, so I asked this earlier, and I have a new question too, sorry for being a pain (I have been googling but can't find anything useful).

When can I start using their poo to retrain them to use their litter trays? Some have been ace, but some have gone a bit out of control (Hope is now using his food bowl as a 'litter tray' so that's getting a scrub everyday too).

I know I have to wait longer with the wormy onesbut I'm hoping that with the others I can start when the panacur is done and keep and eye on them all?

You know, I have no clue but it is a valuable question.

Do we know the life cycle pattern? like how long eggs live, etc.,

If you can find those answers - you can gauge it that way.

How's everyone acting? feeling better?

Hey there - haven't been on and missed all your questions :D.

Ok, so you don't necessrily need to scrub the litter pans out TOO much, just make sure you're changing the litter out every day and give them a rinse, but no need for intense scubs.

I did it every day for about 3 months to be honest (that's how long it took me to get rid of them), but I would say do it until their medicine is done and the treatments are over.

How often do you have to give them the pancur? I agree with your plan to keep cleaning the wormy one till you see no more worms, the others, when the medication is gone, about a week after, I would go back to normal too.

As far as retraining with the poops go - you can do that now, just as long as you keep up the tray cleaning daily you should be good.

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. I was so overwhelmed when my guys got it - all that cleaning... but then i fell into a routine.

Hey there...

I don't know much about parasites, but did find this article. Let me know if it helps! :D

Hugs and mountains of patience in fighting this to you!

Rosie & the Zoo*

From what I was told so far, it is hard to give an answer to this because the eggs are light and airborn so they transfer easily.

As far as litter habits, I would be more inclined to place the litterbox where they tend to be going.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
You know, I have no clue but it is a valuable question.

Do we know the life cycle pattern? like how long eggs live, etc.,

If you can find those answers - you can gauge it that way.

How's everyone acting? feeling better?

There isn't extensive research on the rabbit pinworm (Passalurus ambiguus). It does have a simple, direct life cycle with no intermediate host.

The adults live in the cecum of the rabbit, and one of the larval stages lives in the mucosa of the small intestine and cecum of the rabbit.

Eggs are deposited on the rectum and are also passed in the feces.

The eggs are viable for 20+ days (It is unknown how long the eggs can remain viable in an ideal environment).

The rabbit becomes re-infected by ingesting the eggs.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Passalurus.PDF

Pam

I should also note that Ivermectin "does" kill adult stage worms. There are many references that contradict this information as well as many that support it.

When I have administered Ivermectin to rabbitsknown to be infested with pinworms (dosage1/10 of a cc of Ivermectin per every 5 lbs. of body weight), large numbers of dead adult stage pinworms were expelled in the feces on the 3rd day after administering the Ivermectin.

It should also be noted that there is "no" de-wormer that kills every stage of the rabbit pinworm - this can make effective treatment more difficult.

The informational sites recommended by Etherbun "previously" had information confirming that Ivermectin is effective in treating pinworms. That information was removed immediately after I had pointed it out to Etherbun posters who argued that Ivermectin was not effective in pinwormtreatment. (That is why you'll notethe Ivermectin information in red in the text).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
When I have administered Ivermectin to rabbitsknown to be infested with pinworms (dosage1/10 of a cc of Ivermectin per every 5 lbs. of body weight), large numbers of dead adult stage pinworms were expelled in the feces on the 3rd day after administering the Ivermectin.

Yup - exactly the same thing when I treated Charlie. He had Ivermectin and 3 days later - brown dead worms on his bum. I always knew he got reinfested if after that i started seeing live ones again and he would get another treatment.

Well guess what...

Charlie has pinworms again. This morning I spotted a female in one of his poops. It's been almost a year without them... and now they're back. ARGH. How do they even get them? I'm so careful with their food and water. Back to the vet for some medication... and back to the litter cleaning.

Perfect timing... just when I am planning to go away...

:hug:I sympathise with you. Good luck in your battle.

Mayhbe they got them via cyber contsact with each other,via us as the carriers of eggs :O

Oh good. We have festive wormy visitors.

I can't do all the cleaning I did before, not this time of year, so they are going to have to settle for every other day cleaning and scrubbing of the litter trays.

They have only come back because I told the vet on Tuesday that they never came back :X

It's only today they have arrived too, they weren't here yesterday.

Aww. I feel your pain!!

To be honest, I wasn't half as committed to the cleaning this time around with Charlie either... and no more worms after he was treated. *shrug* I guess sometimes it's a bit of luck too!

Nadia

Yup, all the cleaning in the world won't make that much difference because they eat their cecals, obviously, so are exposing themselves to the eggs.

Hopefully Lightning's (I nearly put mine, lol) will disappear after this round of panacur. I'm also starting to wonder if some buns are more susceptable, for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back