Pinworms and toilet habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, apparently Badger is FAR more important to Sky, lol. Strange bunny.

I will let you know about the Panacur, the knowledge might help someone else in the future :)

Flashy wrote:
Flashy wrote:
On another note, talk about chaos, my best boy Sky has now stopped eating. Stunning, absolutely stunning. :tears2:
I moved his food over to where he has been all day and he's now stuffing his face :shock:From what I see and know of him (and I know him very well) he is guarding his territory against Badger and apparently going for food is not high on that priority list. My bunnies are in chaos, but at least he is eating :)

LOL! He's not eating to guard his territory! Isn't that just like a rabbit!?

Let me see..... eat and lose my spot or not eat, keep my spot and get sick!

Glad he's eating. The little brat! LOL!

I hope you get rid of the pinworms. I know it must be so maddening dealing with all of this!

:hug:

Whew, glad to hear Sky is eating- silly boy :biggrin2:

Youre right, the panacur info will be helpful for the future. Keep us posted. :)

lol, I know, he's a dope. The even more stupid thing though is the Badger is the other side of the barrier, but Sky did this when Cloud was in the same area, he almost keeps them in check if they misbehave, which Badger has definitely doing. I know I can handle this, with the pinworms now i'm in a bit more of a routine and such, but if something had happened to Sky (or if something happens to Sky), my world would crumble (Flash was my soulmate, Sky is my heart)Thank goodness this was only stubborness, lol. Since I've cleaned his hutch he's stayed in the downstairs bit with the food, so that's good :)

As for the panacur, my buns will be hoping they stay on it. I give it to them on banana (which is their favourite) and they wolf it down. They don't ever get this much, lol, so if they find themselves on it again I'm sure they'll be happy.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sorry, I have another question, I'm so sorry for being annoying, but I can't find any proper info about.

I have 6 run spaces. Am I allowed to let them out to run? Any ideas on what's best? Keep the bunnies in the same space? Or will it cross contaminate other bunnies? Keep the ones with definite pinworms in their hutches? It's too much for my little brain.

I don't have enough energy to keep researching and reseraching, any help will be appreciated :) (to add to the mis we now have a suspected mouthabscess on another bunny :/ )

Are the runs clean? I would keep the bunnies with the pin worms in their hutches and seperate from the others. I wouldn't let them use the runs for now. As long as the runs are clean, I'd let the others out to get some execise. (No sense stressing them out too.)

Who has a mouth abcess?

Thanks :) That's what I've done. Helpfully and totally co-incidentally, the runs were last scrubbed down after the pinwormy bunnies were last in there.

One of our old men lopshas a very swollen face on one side. He has spurs last Nov. and they made a tooth wobbly, and he chews it. He's been through so much in the past year and because he has suspected myxi and other things, my parents take care of him and his brother (to avoid spreading it to the nethie branch of our buns). I've told her not to put him through too much, it's not fair on him. He's got a vets appt tonight (but not with the vets I would choose, my mum has booked one with the old vets who make mistakes :/ ). I think this will be it for him, if not tonight, then when/if they operate on him to see what's going on. It's not fair to put him through more when he hates people/contact, etc. that's not fair for an old bun.

Flashy, if it is in fact a mouth abscess in your lop boy, have your mom ask about Bicillin injections (if you think its something the bun would allow). Or you could print out some info for her to take in (theres tons of stuff in the library under Abscesses).

A lot of people have really great success with Bicilin injections for treating abscesses. Surgery might not be necessary at this point.

Sending prayers for your guy. I completely understand though, sometimes its just too much for a bunny to handle (especially if human contact is too stressful for him).

Thank you Haley, I will get mum to ask about it. He would not tolerate going to the vets regularly so I would have to learn (which could be a very useful thing to learn). I wish I could take him, but mum has done her own thing, presumably becuase her and dad have been their slaves since the myxi scare. But yes, i will get her to ask. I think he would tolerate injections done at home, but that's probably as much as he could tolerate, he's 8 and a half now and he's had an awful year, not sure how much more I want him to suffer through poor boy :(

But thank you, that's worth knowing. If I get more than a few mins to myself I will look in the library (lol, I'm mid cleaning all the cages, so that could be hard).

Thank you :)

I'm going to hi-jack my own thread.

Sunshine has a massive abscess running along one side of his mouth. They made one of his teeth wobbly last time they got rid of his spurs and that tooth has come out and the other one has over grown.

The options were

a, put him down there and then

b, give him anti-biotics and see what happens.

c, give him dental surgery and explore the abscess at the same time.

Mum chose option c, and said that if it looks mammoth or anything major then don't let him wake up. The vet thinks it's in the bone and said the prognosis is very poor. Come tomorrow we will probably be one bunny down and Sweepy will be missing his lifelong companion.

Unfortunately, bicillin is not available in the UK:
There are no longer any preparations of penicillin G benzathine plus penicillin G procaine available on the UK market. If a UK vet wishes to treat a British rabbit with bicillin, supplies have to be imported from abroad (usually either France or the USA) with the accompanying special licences and red tape. This inevitably takes time, and licences have to be obtained for each animal on a "named patient" basis.

Thanks, but most likely it won't matter anymore anyway.

No, humans can't get the rabbit pinworm. This is part of something Haley posted on my other thread.

And Ive been doing some research on pinworms (after realizing we dont have much in the library on parasites). I wouldnt worry- it sounds like its not a big deal if its being treated. And just to put your mom's mind at ease, heres one that states its not contaigious to other animals or people:

"The rabbit pinworm Passalurus abiguus can sometimes be seen in the fresh feces (apx. 3/16-inch long, whitish)."

"While observing wriggling worms in your bunny's poop might be disturbing, these actually do not cause a problem for the rabbit, and are treated more for aesthetic reasons. All of these parasites are easily treated with deworming medications. Luckily, even if a human were unfortunate enough to be eating bunny poop full of parasite eggs, none of these parasites can infect humans."

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/parasites.shtml

Geez Trace, thats not been a good week, what a shame for sunshine :(i hope it goes ok.

I hope you have a good pair of rubber gloves for all that cleaning :phow is Sky's bits are they starting to look any better?

If Sunshine goes, then I know he has had a fantastic life so I won't feel sad for him, but I'm really upset for Sweep. I hust went out there to say goodbye toSunshine, (I won't see him tomorrow)and they were lying together and Sweep had his chin rested on Sunshine. It's always been Sunshine and Sweep, but never one without the other. Not bad for two 8 year old unneutered men. Poor, poor lonely Sweep. He's not sociable (although isn't scared of it, he just prefers Sunshine) so it's not even like I can help, I just stress him out. Do you reckon a cuddly toy might help?

This is what Sunshine looks like today, you can see the swollenness on his left side (our right as you look at it). Poor man. but he's still sparky, still eating, drinking and lively and feisty, at least he's not suffering too much. We gave them some banana and basil todya for the first time and the timothy hay so he's going out with a bang :) (I know it's still a possibility he can live, but I don't believe that he will, I need to know I have done everything I can to make things nice for him).

[align=center]
2u4206x.jpg
[/align]
Lightning's bits are looking FAR better today, almost normal :D. Although Dusk did steal half the baytril from Lightning's mouth today :Xbut Lightning doesn't look like he needs it at all, it looks shiny and new :biggrin2:His chin is all healed too, just got to keep with the metacam, panacur and baytril, lol. great. And as for the pinworms, I haven't seen any on him, dead or alive, for two days now. Don't know what that means though.

Oh HE'S SO CUTE!!!!

He probably should have that baytril for a couple more days at least hsouldn't he?

Latest posts

Back