Pine cones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ange92040

Reaction score
Hi was looking at ebay and saw a 10 piece variety chew basket and one of the items was a pinecone. Can Rabbits have pinecones?

I can get some easy, if they can have some how often or is it like a treat?

Thanks

:biggrin2:

I've read on RO, bunnies can have pine cones but they have to be baked. If you get them off the tree you have to Bake them on 325-350 degrees for like an hour. There has been threads about this in the past.

Thanks, :)April

Ok so all I have to do is bake it at 350 for an hour?

I was trying to remember from memory. (The temperature and time.)I hopeAngieluv will come back and tell you if I'm right or wrong. Sorry. :pI think if I was wrong she would have said something earlier.

:)April

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/holiday_hazards.html

This artivle says to wash them in the dishwasher without soap and bake for an hour with no temp listed
the HRS articvle states to age them rather than bake them ..for ex. keep them in the house for several months.
this is repeated here
http://www.petplace.com/small-mammals/homemade-toys-your-rabbit-will-love/page1.aspx

I would feel comfortable giving them to a rabbit if I had aged them for several months in the house and not put them in an oven. You also need to know that they have not been sprayed with pesticides.
I have never used them so I'll post more as I find more speciific info

Thanks Angieluv for the info. I'm gonna keep the info for myself too. I havefound some pine cones lately, but haven't brought any home. So I may try giving pine cones to the buns soon.

:thanks: April

I have washed with water to get dirt and stuff off, then baked for a bit in the oven as described above.

Thank you for the info. I know there are no pestacides on them, they come from a friends property.

My son and I are going to go take a field trip out there to pick some up this weekend.

Thanks again I enjoy getting new ideas for the bunny.

Latest posts

Back