Pile of poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aozora

Amy, Member
Reaction score
Got another random question!

Mocha's litter trained and he's usually really good about it apart from stray poops here and there, but I woke up this morning to a sizable pile of droppings on his double weave seagrass mat that I recently bought to place over the chairmat I use as a cage liner, just so it's a little softer and warmer to lie on than hard plastic. There wasn't any hay nearby, a couple of hay cubes that he doesn't touch often (and looks untouched since last night) but no food that he can really just chew on and let his GI system do its thing. He had a track record of doing this sit & poop thing whenever I set out hay for him away from his litter pan at the very beginning, which is why I stopped early on to keep his pooping more contained. There was still some hay in there this morning when I looked, too.

My only guess is it has something to do with the seagrass mat that I bought? I have noticed that he's been leaving more droppings on it than he usually does before I bought the mat, though never to the extent of leaving an actual pile. He's not chewing or eating the mat aside from a loose strand or two sticking out that indicated he did take a couple of nibbles. But he's not peeing on it, at least!

Do you think I should just remove the mat and use it in his play rug area? Any ideas on how to get him to stop potentially seeing it as another litter box (even though his actual one is like half a foot away)? Any recommendations for what to put over my chairmat instead? He digs and chews through most fabrics otherwise, and winter gets pretty cold here in Canada...

He could be just marking the new mat. Could you post a pic of his cage set up? It would be helpful to have a visual.

Have you tried fleece? I wouldn't be worrying about the cold. If it's warm enough for a human inside, then it's plenty warm for a bunny. They prefer the cool.

He's out of his pen right now (taking a quick nap in his other hideout) but here is what it looks like with the gate closed-- he gets to roam free in my room pretty much everyday but he prefers to stick to the rug areas. As you can see the mat is practically next to his litter pan, and he pooped a bunch on the far end of the mat, closer to the grey veggie bowl. It was a noticeable pile of maybe ~20ish droppings?

I've tried fleece before but he kept digging it up into bunches and chewing holes into it; same with another cotton sheet I tried to use :(

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382233053.999524.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Back