Picking bunny up after spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgieBunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My bun got spayed at the beginning of the month and I was wondering how to know if she is physically recovered enough to be picked up by us if needed? I try to avoid picking her up but sometimes she tries to get into places she shouldn’t be and it is much easier to just pick her up to move her and I would like to start checking for flystrike( indoor rabbit but an nervous about it)

I wouldn't worry too much about flystrike with an indoor bunny, but I admire and appreciate the attention to health! After a month she should be recovered pretty well, although it never hurts to be gentle. First lift her front off the ground and peer under to see how the incision looks and how the fur is growing back in. When you need to pick her up, avoid handling the abdomen and support the ribs with one hand and under the tail with the other. Mine prefer to rest all of their feet on my chest while being held, although there are a few different ways to comfortably hold a rabbit! Good luck, you sound like a fantastic bunny parent!

Usually by two weeks post spay they are back to normal. So if it's been that long then I would guess it's fine. Though if in doubt it's best to call your vet and ask them.

Even with indoor rabbits it's good to be vigilant about checking for flystrike. I know of instances where it's occurred. It's especially important if you have flies around and a rabbit has any wounds, or wet or soiled fur, as these will attract flies.

I keep trying to check her bum but she won’t let me pick her up to check?? Is there any other way I can check for flystrike?

Latest posts

Back