Picked up a Cat last night RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
So Im a huge sucker and picked up a cat who was starving and wandering around near the highway. Hes very sweet and friendly but obviously scared. Hes covered in mats and has a terrible cough.

I guess I just need some advice or support. I obviously cant keep him- due to the fact that I have 7 free roam bunnies right now and my bf is highly allergic to cats. He's in a cage in my garage right now.

I called all the local rescues and the humane society and everyone is full. The only option is animal control, who said he will most likely be pts on the spot.

Im just feeling so powerless and defeated right now. I tried to do the right thing by picking him up, but now what? Is it better for him just to go peacefully rather than suffer out there? Or should I have left him?

I just dont know what to do now. :sad:

Is it worth taking him to the vets to see if he is chipped? Because if he is friendly that's an indication he is not feral, and was domestic at some point. Hopefully he is lost and you could find his owners if he has a chip.

Haley, can you get him to a vet and get a diagnosis? Is he well enough to travel and do you know if he is neutered?

Here's the deal - if you have nowhere to take him, I will try and nag my husband into letting me take him. I have 16 cats now - most are seniors or have special needs - so I really need to be careful about bringing in a cat who may be contagious. I do have a small room I use for quarantine.

If possible, it would help to know if he just has a treatable respiratory problem or if it's somelike not curable and potentially easily spread. Any way, let me know if you can get him to a vet. I will be happy to make arrangements with you to pay the vet bill - we can PM about that. if needed, I can give you my private e-mail and phone #'s. Maybe we could meet somewhere around Toledo provided this works out.

If he has something not curable and easily spread, then sadly pts is probably best rather than having him suffer a miserable death and possibly infect other cats. Again, I would be happy to pay the vet bill.

PS - you absolutely did the right thing by picking him up.Saving an animal pain, however you do it, is always the right thing to do.

Hopefully he is chipped, he also may be a young cat. I've always found babies friendly even if they were strays.

Haley, I would of done the same thing and brought him home even though it was'nt practical. If you left him you would of thought of him constantly.

Do you not have any friends or family that could help him if only short term?

ellissian wrote:
Ignore my post, looks like you've found good help. :)

My dear husband will probably throw me out to the barn to live but I will try my darndest to help with kitty. Cats are my first and biggest passion. Please don't tell Dr. Melody Frankenbunny, Wilbur Igor and Ali thatI said that. The bunnies wouldn't understand. I've had cats in my life for over 40 years and bunnies for 'only' 18 years.

Even if someone else on the board could take him, I can make arrangements to pay the vet.

seniorcats wrote:

My dear husband will probably throw me out to the barn to live but I will try my darndest to help with kitty. Cats are my first and biggest passion. Please don't tell Dr. Melody Frankenbunny, Wilbur Igor and Ali thatI said that. The bunnies wouldn't understand. I've had cats in my life for over 40 years and bunnies for 'only' 18 years.

Even if someone else on the board could take him, I can make arrangements to pay the vet.

Senior cats, I love you, you are WONDERFUL!!! ANd just like me ;)

I have 12 strictly indoor house cats. They are either all off the streets or adopted. And now I'm fostering a momma cat and her 6 kittens, have been for 3 weeks, they're 4 weeks now... oh wait, almost had them for 4 weeks so now they're almost 5 weeks... wow time flies! Anyhow, I got them from a friend at work, who found momma as a baby but didn't get her spayed and she snuck out the house, she won't even be a year until Sept! And then her landlord found out she had them, so they had to go. I'm getting them all fixed and vaccinated, and then giving most of them to friends (momma is staying here, hubby is in love with one of the kittens, and I"m in love with a few, but it's up to hubby how many stay haha). So, you and I are a lot alike!

Jessi

Oh Ann, you are such an amazing person.

I had made an appt for him/her tomorrow morning with the vet anyway. The hard part was I kept thinking, what if he isnt sick? What then. If he was sick at least I wouldnt feel so bad about having to take him in to be pts. I just didnt know what to do with him if he was ok.

I can definitely pay for the visit tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Is there anything I should ask or have them check? I have very little experience with cats.

Seriously, youre an angel. I'll keep you posted (and get some pics tonight)

Haley

Haley wrote:
Oh Ann, you are such an amazing person.

I had made an appt for him/her tomorrow morning with the vet anyway. The hard part was I kept thinking, what if he isnt sick? What then. If he was sick at least I wouldnt feel so bad about having to take him in to be pts. I just didnt know what to do with him if he was ok.

I can definitely pay for the visit tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Is there anything I should ask or have them check? I have very little experience with cats.

Seriously, youre an angel. I'll keep you posted (and get some pics tonight)

Haley

You're all making me blush like crazy. Jessi, you are an angel too for taking in mom cat and her babies. My avatar kitty is a rescue, Nutmeg aka Chunk. She was found by a friend in Myrtle Beach, SC. She got pregnant at 8 months and her owners tossed her out. My friend took her home to Williamsport, PA. A week later we met in Clarion, PA and I brought kitty home to Ohio.

Nutmeg had 4 babies and then her milk dried up when they were 3 weeks old. Nutmeg was tiny and scrawny. My friends at the shelter helped hand feedthe kittensfor several more weeks. The tiny things had to be bathed every day because they were flea covered and we couldn't use meds. The babies got homes and Nutmeg was supposed to be a temporary visitor. That was 4 years ago and my DH has forgotten she is 'temporary'.

Haley, can your vet do a combo test for feline AIDS and leukemia? Those are the 2 thingsI am most concerned about. I am not sure of the cost. At the shelter we get the test kits in bulk and draw our own blood so it's cheaper for us.

Pictures would be great and may help persuade Greg we 'need' this cat. Of course I will lie through my teeth and tell him it's only temporary.... all's fair in love and cats...

The man knows me well enough to know better and he has brought home his share of rescues. Now let's see, the pump house by the barn has running water. The grain bin would make a nice bed. All I need is a camp potty and some TP.

Good for you for taking him in! Hopefully the cough isn't anything serious. I just took in a stray 3 weeks ago and she blessed me with kittens less than a week later. So now I have 5 cats to find homes for. :shock:Anyway, good luck with him!

Nutmeg is beautiful :) My momma is a calico, too! Mostly white though. Her name was Rascal, but it didn't fit... so I changed it to Alaska. When hubby agreed to let me foster them, it was with me fully aware we were NOT keeping any. But I gained Alaska's trust, and she stole my heart, so I BEGGED to keep her, and he agreed :)

Then I started finding homes for the kittens (at only a week, but they aren't leaving until they're at least 3 months and fixed!) and he got all upset, "what if I want to keep one or two???" ;) So now I know it's momma and 2 kittens for sure, but I can't decide between 3 of the kittens, and they aren't the 1 he likes, so it'll be 2-4 kittens haha! :)

I sure hope this found kitty is all healthy so you can take him! I'm sure hubby will get over it ;) You need photos of kitty all matted and pathetic to work on his heart ;)

Jessi (i'm not sure why my font is bolded???)

Wow...I have to say, I absolutely love this thread. I love to hear about other dedicated kitty owners.

I will also say that, though I only have two, and don't plan on getting more RIGHT NOW...I have had over twenty cats over the past almost 20yrs, and absolutely LOVE the little furries!! They are simply one-of-a-kind in grace, love, and poise.

Just to put it out there, and I think you're already a member there, SeniorCats, but there's a GREAT cat site out there at http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

Check it out! :)

(If you decide to join, would you do me the favor of putting down my username (same as it is here) as a referral?)

At any rate, cats are wonderful...and the only reason I don't have more than two (besides lack of space) is because I have a really beautiful balance I don't want to disturb between my two.

Hugs to you guys!! And SeniorCats and Haley...I can't wait to hear what happens!!

Rosie* :biggrin2:

So I just brushed her coat and Im pretty sure she's a girl as I didnt see any male "bits". I really hope shes not pregnant.

She purred the entire time I was brushing her and was so happy. Heres some pics:

Bunnies263.jpg

Bunnies267.jpg

Bunnies266.jpg

Vet appt tomorrow AM, heres hoping theres nothing really wrong with her.

She's so pretty!! :shock:

Aww, what a little doll! I hope everything works out for her.. I've never had a cat before but I've always loved them.. If I was only closer!

She's absolutely GORGEOUS!! What a beauty!!

She looks really soft, too...though the more healthy food she gets, the softer and shinier she'll get! :)

Just from those two pics, she looks like she's in fairly good health, all considering...:)

Latest posts

Back