Picked up a Cat last night RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rosie! Thanks also for mentioning the cat forum. I've never been there before. I looked at it last night and it does look like the best I've seen.

Cool beans! Enjoy it! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

I hate my internet right now!

Ann, we still on for Saturday? I forgot to ask my friend where would be a good place to meet. Youre coming from the East, correct? I'll have a look online tomorrow- or let me know if you know of a good place to meet in the Toledo area. I might have to babysit Saturday evening so anytime in the morning or early afternoon would work (morning would probably be best if youre available).

Im so happy this guy will get to be out of my garage! I feel so bad for him in there. Ive been trying to take him outside for a while and spend time with him everyday, but its still not enough.

Also, did you say you guys have Timothy hay? Is it good grassy stuff? If so Id love to buy some off you! Ive just about run out of my last bale. Having 7 bunnies in the house, I go through it pretty quickly. Let me know :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Haley

Saturday is fine with me and the morning is fineor early afternoon. Early after or around noon might be best. I am coming fromMedina County, south of Cleveland. Will take I-71 north to the Turnpike and then I think I can take the Turnpike all the way to Toledo or take Rte. 90 - either one. I haven't been in years. I think it takes about 2 and 1/2 hrs for me to get to Toledo.

I don't have amap at work but let me look at map quest and see if I can figure something out. Either that or I'll get a map at lunch. Either way, do you want me to call you early this evening?Like after 6:00PM (EST)?

If I can get to the farm, I will pick up 2 bales of hay. It's great stuff (timothy) and only $3.00 a bale. My bunnies are liking it better than Oxbow timothy. I think the hay wagon was empty when I drove by yesterday.

OK, I found a place to meet. It's on the east side of Toledo and right off the turnpike (80-90). It's called Elmore, OH (Ottawa County) and it's a a very small town and we can't get lost in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmore,_Ohio

If you need tomapquest an address, use 321 Rice St. Elmore, Ohio. That's the address for the fire station. The meeting place - there is a small park across from the fire station with a restored railroad depot. There is a parking lot next to the depot. I think it's called either Orv Park or most peole call it Railroad Park.

The directions are basicly the turnpike to Exit 81 which is route 51 and then go north for a little over a mile to the fire station/park.

Any time after 10:00 AM is fine with me.

I still plan on calling you after work today just to make sure we're on the same page. If Elmore doesn't work for you, I can see if I find somewhere else. About the only other place I can think of is the McDonald's in Genoa.

From Michigan you should be able to takeRt 23 to 475//75 to the turnpike. You bypass downtown Toldeo.

Sounds great! Maybe we could plan to meet at noon? Would that work for you? It should take me around two hours to get down there if traffic is ok.

If you can get some hay that would be great, but if not dont worry.

I told Mr. Kitty about the wonderful new home he's going to and he seems very excited. My allergies get bad around cats so I cant spend much time with him and he's very lonely. And he's excited to get out of the garage :)

I should be home from work around 5:30 tonight if you want to call. Otherwise I'll see ya in the morning!

Yea! It's all settled then! Tomorrow at noon in Elmore is perfect. I won't call tonight since it seems like everything is ready to go. I will finish straightening his room tonight.

I calledour vetto make a pre-neuter appointment for next Friday. Doc usually likes to do routine blood workbefore surgery. Since we don't have a real name yet, I told them to list him as 'Elmore'. He'll have his own room til he gets neutered and recovers from that and then we will work on introductions. My husband is retired and gets to spend a lot of time with the cats and rabbits during the day.

I'll bring a big cage for him to ride in.

See you tomorrow!

So glad this is all working out :) I just wanted to say that I think Elmore is a good name, and that should be his name ;)

When I found a cat and no owner and took him to get nuetered, they put his name as Stray Kitty. His vaccine reminder came in the mail with that on it lol! (his name is Charcoal, b/c he's a smokey black, so hubby said he looks like charcoal).

Hope the trip goes well!
Jessi

The Michigan to Ohio Kitty Caper is completed! First, I have to tell you, if you ever meet Haley you will know immediately this is a person you can trust with all your animals. She is such a sweet, lovely person and so caring about this kitty and rabbits.

This morning started out with my husband joking that the only time I get up early on a weekend is for something involving animals. Then he asked if I was going to North Dakota to fetch the cat.

Haley, her boyfriend and I met in Elmore, one of those quaint old Ohio towns. Kitty came with his fully packed suitcase full of food, bowls, scooper, toys, treats. He is a docile, good natured guy. Kitty mewed and talked to me for 20 minutes and then after I chatted back, he quited down for the rest of the trip.

When we got home, he spent some time checking out his room, litter box, and accomodations. He ate some dry Iams and explored a bit more. When I was checking him over, a nasty little tape worm crawled out of butt so now we know what's contributing to his thiness. Tapes in cats come from fleas or eating rabbits. I suspect fleas so I will treat him tonight.

He absolutely loves attention and if we stop patting him, he head butts us. He settled down beside me, rested his head and paw on my leg - such a good boy!

He's in my quarantine room until he gets neutered. Haley had him checked for AIDS and leukemia so I can use the screen panels on the door to the room. Greg made the door so it has 3 removal wood panels over screen sections. This way, if a cat or rabbit needs isoaltion, I canput the wood panels up. Having the screens means they can at least have some interaction with us and the other animals and start getting adjusted to life in the crazy animal house.

We're still thinking about names. I'm not sure Elmore is right for him. We'll see.

Thanks so much Haley for rescuing him and giving me the opportunity to bring him home. He will do just fine here.

Ann

Well done to you, seniorcats, and Haley for arranging this home for this little guy.

You've both donea great thing, as I'm sure you know.

Keep us updated if you can :)

seniorcats wrote:
He's in my quarantine room until he gets neutered. Haley had him checked for AIDS and leukemia so I can use the screen panels on the door to the room. Greg made the door so it has 3 removal wood panels over screen sections. This way, if a cat or rabbit needs isoaltion, I canput the wood panels up. Having the screens means they can at least have some interaction with us and the other animals and start getting adjusted to life in the crazy animal house.

Ann

Ann,

Congratulations on your new adoptee...and thanks for all you and Haley did to give him a forever home.

I would love to see pics of the door. With 10 cats & 3 rabbits, we could use something like that. We had a disabled kitty (no use of his rear legs) who did not get along with some of the others. We used a baby gate...Tiggy couldn't get out, but the cats who enjoyed his company could get in. And he hada continual connection with the activities in our home. But I'd love to see another option.

Must say I had to chuckle at your post when you told Haley that Elmore was a small town where you couldn't get lost. Now, I've never been to Elmore, but my sister-in-law lives in Bluffton. So I've driven through western OH many times...and I COULD get lost. Everything is so flat...and all the intersections seem to be perfectly perpendicular. All looks the same to someone from the rolling hills of eastern PA. :biggrin2:

Hope you'll post some kitty photos here at RO so we can all follow the fellow's progress.

-Mary Ellen

Aww Thanks for the kind words Ann. Youre a true gem and it was so nice to meet you.

We didnt get home until around 430. We stopped for lunch and then also stopped at the shelter. They were thrilled to see me (and especially cuz I showed up with your donation check). They were so happy to be able to afford one more neuter this week!

I cant believe the little man has worms! That just about makes my skin scrawl. I guess I never saw it because he was in that dark garage. And the few times I took him outside I didnt reallycheck him overI really wish I wouldve just had that fecal done last weekend. Is that difficult to treat?

Bless your heart for being so good to him. Hes such a lucky guy. Im sure he'll repay you with lots of purring and head butts.

Youre the best :hug:

Haley wrote:
Aww Thanks for the kind words Ann. Youre a true gem and it was so nice to meet you.

We didnt get home until around 430. We stopped for lunch and then also stopped at the shelter. They were thrilled to see me (and especially cuz I showed up with your donation check). They were so happy to be able to afford one more neuter this week!

I cant believe the little man has worms! That just about makes my scin scrawl. I guess I never saw it because he was in that dark garage. And the few times I took him outside I didnt reallycheck him overI really wish I wouldve just had that fecal done last weekend. Is that difficult to treat?

Bless your heart for being so good to him. Hes such a lucky guy. Im sure he'll repay you with lots of purring and head butts.

Youre the best :hug:
Glad I could help with a neuter!

My vet says I am the champion worm finder. Something to be famous for... Since we have some cats who hang out in the barn, I am always doing'rearend checks'. Tapes can be easy to miss because when they come out, they often curl up in a ball. Our Harry had to be treated 2 weeks ago for tapes since I was forgetful about his Advantage. Tapes are easy to treat with a pill (based on weight) or an injection. WithMr. Kitty's long hair, it would be easy to miss a tiny tape worm. They don't come out in the stools although I expect some of the microscopic eggs do. Occassionaly if they vomit a hairball, you might see tapes.

Time to slop the hogs, as we say around here.

Bunnicula wrote:
seniorcats wrote:

Ann

Ann,

Congratulations on your new adoptee...and thanks for all you and Haley did to give him a forever home.

I would love to see pics of the door. With 10 cats & 3 rabbits, we could use something like that. We had a disabled kitty (no use of his rear legs) who did not get along with some of the others. We used a baby gate...Tiggy couldn't get out, but the cats who enjoyed his company could get in. And he hada continual connection with the activities in our home. But I'd love to see another option.

Must say I had to chuckle at your post when you told Haley that Elmore was a small town where you couldn't get lost. Now, I've never been to Elmore, but my sister-in-law lives in Bluffton. So I've driven through western OH many times...and I COULD get lost. Everything is so flat...and all the intersections seem to be perfectly perpendicular. All looks the same to someone from the rolling hills of eastern PA. :biggrin2:

Hope you'll post some kitty photos here at RO so we can all follow the fellow's progress.

-Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen, you cracked me up! The drive today was like being in an endless flat, boringtwilight zone! Hinckely, where we live, at least has it's ups and owns and sandstone cliffs.

I love those eastern PA rolling hills! A lot of my rescue trains take me into eastern PA around Clarion and some other little town that features 'the world's worst apple pie' - can't remember the name of it (Emlenton, maybe?). I am originally from Easton, PA over by Allentown and Bethlehem. Home of Crayola Crayons.

I would love to send a picture of the door. I need to go buy a digital camera. Think I've been saying for a while now and haven't gotten around to it. It's not much really - just an old solid wood panel door. 3 of the panels were cut out, and wire fencing was cut and stapled on both sides of the door using heavy duty staples and a gun.

Then hinges were added to the cut out pieces and they were placed back on one side of the door witha latch (nail actually) above for when we want the panels open. Any old door could be altered. We considered a storm door like we have on the back of the house. It has a raisable glass panel when you want the screen open. Except the new storm door was around $350 and the door we cut up was free.

Will have use my regular camera and scanner or get CD prints.

Latest posts

Back