Picked up a Cat last night RESOLVED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is that on her back foot in the second picture? An old scar or something?

She does look healthy from the pictures. She just looks like she needs to be fattened up on some good food to make her shine.

She looks like a cross between my fiance's mom's two kitties....Merry and Mel.

:p

undergunfire wrote:
What is that on her back foot in the second picture? An old scar or something?

Im not sure, its some sort of small wound. She wouldnt let me get a good look at it, so I figured I'll ask the vet in the morning.

She is generally in good shape from the looks of things. She has a lot os mats in her coat (does anyone know if I should try to cut them out?) and the small wound on her foot. She still coughs every once in a while but it was a lot last night and not so much today.

Shes very sweet though.

Since she'll be going in the morning, I would say leave the mats for the vet to handle...it's easier, considering that she's probably been through a lot lately, and the vet'll know easier what to do. (Hard to tell without feeling them myself, honestly.)

Oh god I'm in love! I wish I had room for another cat, but since the basement is connected through the garage which the cats aren't allowed into, there really isn't much space here.:(

Maybe she is somebody's runaway pet? I know most strays aren't claimed, but maybe the vet will find a microchip on her.

Ann, you're a lucky woman!

yeah I'll ask them to look for a microchip (doubtfull though). With the poor economy here in the Flint area and so many people out of work, many are just dumping their pets. Im hearing our animal control is euthanizing like 100+ dogs and cats a week.

She did have a beaten up collar on though. I called our local papers and put out a "found" ad for Sunday so at least I tried. :)

I keep looking at her and I'm in tears. I so wish I could have her but I know I can't.

That's awful that they put down so many animals in your area! That's like a slaughterhouse. I'm so glad Sheboygan isn't that bad.

Aw, that's terrible about how many animals are being put down! Were there many business shutdowns, is that the reason for the unemployment? (We had some shut down here, Mitsubishi was one of them.) Oh dear...

Haley, the vet you are going to may or may not deal with the mats. Some around here don't. There's always like Petco-since we're banning Petsmart-who does grooming, but they also want to shampoo, trim nails and clean ears for a fee of $60. So, if you think that's a good idea, which it might be, sort of a start over healty for her, go for it:D.

I tried to cut some off of our cat, who is a long hair, but some are just too close to the skin, so I left those. She will be getting groomed for the rest. Long hair cats need brushed frequently to keep mats from forming, I've most recently learned;).

Plus, if you did try to cut them out yourself, she may be very upset about it and scratch or/bite you. You don't want that. Ours was pretty much fine with us cutting some out, but growled the whole time at her dislike.

Good Luck tomorrow! I hope she gets a clean bill of health!

Gorgeous, beautiful kitty. Haley, I am so glad you rescued kitty. Ya' done good!

Haven't said anything to DH yet. I expect I will just announce my intentions and put on thestubbornbull head look.

Good news!

Vet said HE looked great. No HIV or leukemia. I forgot to take a fecal sample, so they couldnt test for parasites, but he said the kitty looks very healthy except for the obvious fact that he's very skinny.

And yup, its unneutered male. :)I guess its good we dont have to worry about baby kitties.

Well youre not that far from me either Angela ;)And nope, no chip :(

I did place a "found" ad in the paper for tomorrow so we'll see I guess,

Don't tempt me! I need another animal like I need a hole in the head. And James is allergic to cats, I don't want to make it worse.:(

And yes, I was thinking of how easy it would be to set up a kitty train and get him to me. Don't tell James!:shock::shock::shock:

Oh Haley & Seniorcats...thanks for working together to take care of this kitty. He is gorgeous.

Where I live in Lancaster County, PA there are TONS of cats, dogs, & small animals pts at the Humane League every year. I mean thousands... I was a volunteer there for many years, in fact most of our 10 cats came from there.

In this area with agriculture being big, there are many farmers who have barn kitties they use for rodent control. Most of the Mennonite and Amish farmers do not spay or neuter. I see kitty roadkill every day as I drive to work. It is really sad. I've stopped many times to pick up and injured cat. And it seems our yard is the springtime stopping place for local strays.

Like you, Seniorcats, I have had cats in my life for forever (and bunnies for less than 5 years). Both animals are so wonderful. I think I will always have a household of furry friends of both types. I will be thinking positively that hubby will KNOW you NEED the cat. My hubby has a soft heart, too. We've had many special needs cats or ones with behavior issues over the years and he puts up with it all.

Perhaps an owner will surface. But if not, I know it will all work well.

Maherwoman: I may check out that cat site, too.

-Mary Ellen

naturestee wrote:
Don't tempt me! I need another animal like I need a hole in the head. And James is allergic to cats, I don't want to make it worse.:(

And yes, I was thinking of how easy it would be to set up a kitty train and get him to me. Don't tell James!:shock::shock::shock:

We could toss a coin to decide which one of us takes him in, hee hee.

Haley, I will PM you. Since I was out sick I can't afford to take any time off right now. I don't work Saturday or Sunday so could we arrange something for the weekend?

I just mentioned it to my husband, showed him the pic's and his response was a loud 'What?' Then he went to brush his teeth. I told him maybe I would just be fostering and asked 'what does that mean'? 'cause he knows that around here 'fostering' a cat means they are permanent residents.So he hasn't had a cow or pitched a fit and I think he is probably just resigning himself to another kitty rescue.

The funny thing is we have another free-loader on our deck, gray mackeral tabby with white feet. He comes to eat dry cat food. He is very shy but tonight he meowed atGreg and didn't run. Greg made the comment that this cat will be inside before the snow flies in fall.

We used to have 18 cats and 2 years ago little Ashes, who was ancient, died of intestinal lymphoma. My husband found her living under a hot dog cart in downtown Cleveland. Cookie died last March. Her owner died of cancer and we took her in. After 3 years Cookie got avery aggressive bone marrow cancer. After Cookie died, we took in Neko, arescue who was shotover a dozen times with a bee bee gun. She had 4 surgeries to remove the pellets, wound debrafement, etc. She has been here a year, still spends a lot of her time under the loveseat but has made great progress with humans and especially with our cats. She adores Goblin and Mugsy and loves to run all over the house at night. Then about2 months ago my Noneck kitty died in his sleep. He was a little over 18 years old. He was a feral cat I was able to turn into a lap boy after years of work and trust building.

I could go on all night with cat stories...

Haley, I''ll PM you and we can make some arrangements.

PS forgot to say that if you need hay, we had a great 1st cutting and I can bring you some bales.

naturestee wrote:

Oh! I had another thought! You can trade in James for a cat and I can trade in Greg for a white german shepherd or 2! yeah! LOL, LOL, LOL!

We're making plans for Operation Kitty Transport. I'm starting to get excited. It's been a while since we had a new cat in the quarintine so it's clean up time. We have extra bunny stuff stored in there and bunny things for the HRS rabbits we occassionally foster. Just took an inventory of what needs to be moved and cleaned and moved in for kitty.

Any name ideas? It takes us a while to find the right one. I think Greg needs to do the choosing so he feels more like it's his cat.

Probably a good idea to let Greg name the cat...or at least have the final say in the matter. Although, if he's anything like my hubby it could take decades for the poor kitty to have a moniker. Usually I am just so anxious to give an animal a name so I can stop calling it "kitty."

:ponder:I'll look at his pics again and see if any name ideas come up.

I'm quite excited to hear the story of how the transport goes/went. Thanks again for giving this fellow a chance at the good life. :hug:

-Mary Ellen

Wow!! WONDERFUL!! I can't wait to hear how everything goes!! :D

SeniorCats...how wonderful, you taking him into your home...you're so blessed! He's so handsome!! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. Bunnicula...COOL! Glad to help ya with a good kitty site! :)

Latest posts

Back