Petstores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi...I'm new here and wanted to give my 2 centson pet stores. I just got my 1[suP]st [/suP]bunny from alocal Petland on January 1st. He seemed perfectly fine, butby January2nd he seemed to have a problem with one of hisears and one eye and was sneezing. I had to bring him to theVet on the 3rd because they weren't open on the 2nd. The Vetsaid he has a cold...but there is a good chance that he may havepasteurella. She put him on baytril for the next 14 days andwe have to see if he improves. I forgot to mention that onthe 2nd the day before we took him to the vet we called Petland to tellthem what was going on with him and how he was sick and their responsewas pretty much well we don't know what to say about it, call avet. While we were at the Vets we asked her all sorts ofquestions about what and how much he should eat and we told her whatPetland had recommended. She told us that the pellet mix theyhad us buy was all wrong and that they told us to feed him way toomuch. So, we had to go out and buy new food. Idon’t think anyone at the pet store new anything aboutrabbits. The young man that had supposedly helped us andanswered all our questions was the person that we were told new themost about rabbits (ha…yeah right). I don’t know why I didn’trealize what a mistake we were making when we were at the petstore. The man who was helping us had actually tried to getus to buy two rabbits, one of which was injured. His mangerhad told him that if we bought the two we would get the cage they werein with them. I feel so stupid now for getting my bunny atthe same place that tried to sell us and injured rabbit. Iwill tell you that I will never make that mistake again. Ihave learned my lesson and if I get another rabbit I will get itthrough a shelter or breeder. I’m just so upset that thebunny I fell in love with and brought home may be sick for the rest ofhis life. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they also lied tous about the breed of rabbit we were getting. The Vet saidthat we don’t have a Netherland Dwarf, he is a mix. Now don’tget me wrong I love my little bunny and I’m glad we are getting him thehelp he needs…it’s just very frustrating. I honestly feel sohorrible that I could be so naïve about the whole situation…what was Ithinking :(

babybunnywrigley wrote:
Hi...I'm new here and wanted to give my 2 cents on petstores. I just got my 1[suP]st [/suP]bunny from a localPetland on January 1st. He seemed perfectly fine, but byJanuary2nd he seemed to have a problem with one of his earsand one eye and was sneezing. I had to bring him to the Veton the 3rd because they weren't open on the 2nd. The Vet saidhe has a cold...but there is a good chance that he may havepasteurella. She put him on baytril for the next 14 days andwe have to see if he improves. I forgot to mention that onthe 2nd the day before we took him to the vet we called Petland to tellthem what was going on with him and how he was sick and their responsewas pretty much well we don't know what to say about it, call avet. While we were at the Vets we asked her all sorts ofquestions about what and how much he should eat and we told her whatPetland had recommended. She told us that the pellet mix theyhad us buy was all wrong and that they told us to feed him way toomuch. So, we had to go out and buy new food. Idon’t think anyone at the pet store new anything aboutrabbits. The young man that had supposedly helped us andanswered all our questions was the person that we were told new themost about rabbits (ha…yeah right). I don’t know why I didn’trealize what a mistake we were making when we were at the petstore. The man who was helping us had actually tried to getus to buy two rabbits, one of which was injured. His mangerhad told him that if we bought the two we would get the cage they werein with them. I feel so stupid now for getting my bunny atthe same place that tried to sell us and injured rabbit. Iwill tell you that I will never make that mistake again. Ihave learned my lesson and if I get another rabbit I will get itthrough a shelter or breeder. I’m just so upset that thebunny I fell in love with and brought home may be sick for the rest ofhis life. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they also lied tous about the breed of rabbit we were getting. The Vet saidthat we don’t have a Netherland Dwarf, he is a mix. Now don’tget me wrong I love my little bunny and I’m glad we are getting him thehelp he needs…it’s just very frustrating. I honestly feel sohorrible that I could be so naïve about the whole situation…what was Ithinking :(

Hi babybunnywrigley, Welcome to the board! What a terrible story. I'msorry your baby is poorly so soon after buying him and hope he's bettersoon!

With regards to pet shops and breeds. We boughttwobabyPolish females and they turned out to be a male and afemale and mix breeds so this is very common unfortunately.

That is terrible trying to sell you an injured bunny, they needreporting. They are only interested in what profits they can make bythe sound of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ang - I agree about pets at home. It wouldn't be a first if I went inand saw a fish in each tank that was obviously diseased or had died. Inever buy my fish from there. Last time I went in the Chinchillas whereina bit of a state. Their sand bath was full of poop and weeand they are supposed to bathe in that:X. They did have a lovelyselection of bunnys there though and they all seem to be of the rightage.

I'm glad they took some notice of your complaint though, that is positive I suppose.

Having said that I take my animals to theCompanion Care Vetsinside the store and I have nothing but good things to say about them.I think the problem with the store is that the weekend staff don'treally know much about the animals, they just do it for a bit of pocketmoney.

Vickie

babybunnywrigley wrote:
Hi...I'm new here and wanted to give my 2 cents on petstores. I just got my 1[suP]st [/suP]bunny from a localPetland on January 1st. He seemed perfectly fine, but byJanuary2nd he seemed to have a problem with one of his earsand one eye and was sneezing. I had to bring him to the Veton the 3rd because they weren't open on the 2nd. The Vet saidhe has a cold...but there is a good chance that he may havepasteurella. She put him on baytril for the next 14 days andwe have to see if he improves. I forgot to mention that onthe 2nd the day before we took him to the vet we called Petland to tellthem what was going on with him and how he was sick and their responsewas pretty much well we don't know what to say about it, call avet. While we were at the Vets we asked her all sorts ofquestions about what and how much he should eat and we told her whatPetland had recommended. She told us that the pellet mix theyhad us buy was all wrong and that they told us to feed him way toomuch. So, we had to go out and buy new food. Idon’t think anyone at the pet store new anything aboutrabbits. The young man that had supposedly helped us andanswered all our questions was the person that we were told new themost about rabbits (ha…yeah right). I don’t know why I didn’trealize what a mistake we were making when we were at the petstore. The man who was helping us had actually tried to getus to buy two rabbits, one of which was injured. His mangerhad told him that if we bought the two we would get the cage they werein with them. I feel so stupid now for getting my bunny atthe same place that tried to sell us and injured rabbit. Iwill tell you that I will never make that mistake again. Ihave learned my lesson and if I get another rabbit I will get itthrough a shelter or breeder. I’m just so upset that thebunny I fell in love with and brought home may be sick for the rest ofhis life. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they also lied tous about the breed of rabbit we were getting. The Vet saidthat we don’t have a Netherland Dwarf, he is a mix. Now don’tget me wrong I love my little bunny and I’m glad we are getting him thehelp he needs…it’s just very frustrating. I honestly feel sohorrible that I could be so naïve about the whole situation…what was Ithinking :(
baby rabbits are free fed. you don't normally start restrictingtheir pellet intake untill about 6 months of age and then that dependson the breed. and i'm sure the guy helping you knew themost.. the most of everyone who worked there.. it's all in themeaning.. most pet shops sell mixed breeds, it's a rareity to find apure breed in the store, nor are they honest about the breedsgenerally. many people have bought a "dwarf" just to have it grow to bea 10 lbs rabbit, some dwarf huh.. Sorry you had to go through thatexperience, but remember it's was a learning experience, you now knowwhere you will go next time for another bun. mybest to your bun I sure hope he will be able to get better and not havepasturella.

I hope that you went back and talked to the folksand tell the the information that your vet told you. I agree that youngrabbits should be feed free feed and not to constrict their food untillthey get older oreven wait untillyou have to. Ihave seen some people with flemish giants hear that they need toconstrict their food then come back to me because their rabbits arevery very sick and look sick. Some breeds should not have their foodconstricted. I also believe that rabbits need different food fordifferent lifestyles. I myself feed a different food that I recomendfor people with house rabbits or with small rabbits. If you have a freeranging house rabbit then I think that they should be on full feedunless a problem develops. We carry mix breeds with a couple purebreeds. Alot of people come in thinking they are dwarfs when they arejust small breeds I think that that is one of the confused things likeflop and lop ears in rabbits. Unless the person has realy studied breedof rabbits they realy cant judge what kind of breed they are,unfortantly people think they can by looking at pictures when picturesare very misleading wich you would know if you saw a actualy pure breedin person. Some people do this with good intentions. What store wasthis?

I have to agree with you in most cases..Otherthan the fact that I work in a petstore and every employee at myspecific store is very knowledgeable about all kinds of animals.Soreally you can judge every one of them the same way..

Shorty011nk wrote:
I have to agree with you in most cases..Other than the factthat I work in a petstore and every employee at my specific store isvery knowledgeable about all kinds of animals.So really you can judgeevery one of them the same way..
in most cases it's a case of majority, since the majority ofpet shops are bad, just be prepared for the worst, and you will behappy when you happen to stumble accross some that are decent.

Latest posts

Back