Petstores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrabbits

Reaction score
Hello,

There has been alot of talk lately about petstores. People disagreeingwith some, people liking some and people sharing their stories. Ithought I would start a post for everyone to share their stories. Sharetheir ideas. Share what has worked. Share what hasnt. Share what youdont like about them or one. This may help others inform stores aboutsomething that they do not like since some of us do happen to work atsome etc. But lets keep this friendly since animals can bring out alotof emotions very easily so please read through your posts beforeposting and keep it, to the fact and list any hear say if you bring itin if you have to. I hope that if we share info we can help others tohelp others. Also products are good too. Is there any that you disagreewith that you agree with etc.

Well, where to start....

I generally dislike any pet store that sells anything more than fish.Beyond that, many of the pet stores I know don't have a clue as toproper care and upkeep of the animals. From mis-sexing hamsters, torecommending and selling inadequite housing, to displaying a great dealof ignorance towards the plight of shelter animals and the crisis ofpet overpopulation. In many pet stores, the animals are justmerchandise. Now, I know not all may be this way, but I have yet topersonally find one that truly does all they can for their animals. Ifyou've had experiences with these stores, I envy you. As much aspossible, I frequent pet supply stores. I just can't bear thethought of those poor animals ending up in who-knows-what-kind ofliving situation.

The mis-education in general is startling. If I had a nickel for everyignorant statement a pet-store employee has said. . . :shock: Just thefact that they sell products that are known to be dangerous - and evendeadly - such as wire rodent wheels and Hartz flea products, says a lotabout the lack of good information. I could go on, and on, and on("Yeah, Science Diet is a great food!" "Declawing is perfectlyfine, they'll recover great." "Rabbits aren't really that social."). Iusually just grit my teeth and walk out. . .

Dog bias. I have yet to go into a pet store that doesn't have it. I'mnot a dog person, so I suppose I notice it more, but I have a hard timefinding any decent cat or small animal products without going toa specialty store. That's just me, I'm sure dog owners don't mind. Idon't resent the sheer footage devoted to dogs, I just wish they'd dothe same for cats.

That's all I can think of for know, but I'm sure there's more. . .

I myself worked in a pet store volunteering thereone summer when I was at my dads. I also worked in a pet supply store(only pets we sold were fish) for a year. Most pet stores don't bug me- as most are well kept and the animals are well taken care of. Theemployees know what they are talking about, ect. It's the ones that donot take care of the animals is what I have a problem with. I alsodon't really like pet stores that sell dogs and cats - if they takethem from the local shelter and adopt them out, that's wonderful. Butif they are selling them to make a profit, I don't care what they say,those dogs and cats came from "critter mills" as I call them.

There is a pet store right down the road from me. All the animals arein great condition, and the women who owns it loves every one of theanimals she sells. She will not let just anyone buy an animal (minusfeeder rats/mice). She also hands out care sheets for all of theanimals sold. I would love to work there - and I have agreed to sellher some pet rabbits every once in awhile. I would feel safe doingthat, as I would know they wouldn't be going for dinner or snake food.

~Nichole

m.e. wrote:
Themis-education in general is startling. If I had a nickel for everyignorant statement a pet-store employee has said. . . :shock: Just thefact that they sell products that are known to be dangerous - and evendeadly - such as wire rodent wheels and Hartz flea products, says a lotabout the lack of good information. I could go on, and on, and on("Yeah, Science Diet is a great food!" "Declawing is perfectlyfine, they'll recover great." "Rabbits aren't really that social."). Iusually just grit my teeth and walk out. . .

Dog bias. I have yet to go into a pet store that doesn't have it. I'mnot a dog person, so I suppose I notice it more, but I have a hard timefinding any decent cat or small animal products without going toa specialty store. That's just me, I'm sure dog owners don't mind. Idon't resent the sheer footage devoted to dogs, I just wish they'd dothe same for cats.

That's all I can think of for know, but I'm sure there's more. . .
I've been to a few stores that are total fish mania, and some other stuff...

just a curiosity note, not rabbit food, but since you made the note about science diet, what is your opinion on cat/dog foods?

I look through cat and ferret toys and bird toys for the buns... therare a couple stores that lack in product but for the most part i findplenty of cat items... food on the other hand is just weird now fromwhen i used to have a cat.. they can't seem to keep all like thingstogether on a shelf.. very confusing..

i've been in good and bad ones in thecity. and a few ehh ok ones. it's almost likeanything else, it depends on who runs it and how 'tight a ship' theyrun. the best i've seen here is a privately owned one whoactually has the best variety of pet products and usually doesnt carryas many furry pets as most stores and concentrates on fish andaquariums. their animals all look healthy andhappy. one of the chain stores i've beento classifies under 'ehhh ok'. most of the animals lookhealthy, but not always happy or as happy as they could be, even underthe circumstances. and right now they have a rex mix look rabbitlabeled as a holland lop! i dont even want to thinkabout the worst i've seen. all the small animals are in small aquariumtype enclosures directly under bright lights and the larger ones canbarely stand up. needless to say, i didnt go back.

the only real beef i have with the mostly good ones, is the mixing ofhamster/gerbil stuff with rabbit stuff. not very many people know whatrabbits can and cant/shouldnt have. i know i didnt before i got my two!

i have a friend who helps out with greyhound rescues and is present ata pet store for a few hours once a month to help educate and help getrescue greyhounds adopted. it made me think that well, whatif i did that for rabbits? maybe it's something we should allthink about if we can donate the time.. set up a small table near thesmall animals and help educate people on rabbits and other animalswe're knowledgeable of. not to mention the staff :)i would have appreciated it when i bought mine. the girl i dealt withreally tried to help as she had a house rabbit herself, but i know noweven she was misinformed on a lot of things!

I work at a petstore that use to be bad. About ayear ago the owner died and new people bought it and took over. Theyrealy turned it around. I started work there a couple of months ago. Iam now in charge of the reptiles. I am not a expert on them but I knowcare, all the needs, what to use and what not to, I understand thelights, and everything else, however I lack knowlege still because Ihave not owned them myself (I had anoles when I was younger) because ofthat fact alot of new owners or past owners get upset about. They thinkthat I should not be giving them information because of that or I donot have all the info. The truth is that the store use to have somebodywho had experience but not the knowlege. He use to be a petowner whoused what works, for example cedar bedding may work but its known notto be good for animals. It is realy hard to find somebody who has itall but not a job. Or can you realy find somebody who knows it allwithout them being a know it all. LOL.

I am working on getting my wildlife biology degree in college rightnow. I see myself having a career in the field not in a petstore. Ithink that is another thing. Unless the petstore is in a chain theyrealy dont have any career positions so.... there for alot people dontput the effort into it they need to. It does take alot of researchoutside of work. For instance I spent tons of money at barnes and noblebuying books on things since I was affraid that some things online maybe what has worked for them. I joined tons of chat groups for things idont even know ect. Luckly my family has had tons of pets growing up soI have alot of knowlege on geanie pigs, dogs, cats, cockatiels andparakeets, and of course rabbits wich i know the most about since Ihave the most experience on all fields of it, raising, showing,breeding, training, and pets.

The other thing that the people need to be aware of is that some peoplemay know more than others working and some petstores higher people withspecailties like the fish people ect, but there is not always enoughwork to keep those people busy so they have to find work elsewhere inthe store like helping people with other supplies. I now know to askfor the personthat knows the most aboutthat animal,and since peole may not know everything leting them know things isalways great too. You must be carefull though not to sound like one ofthe people that are against all petstores ect because then they willthink that your ideas will not profit the business. Like it or notpetstores are a business although the store that I work at likes tothink of it as two stores in one. It is a animal placement place andthen the products are what makes the money. Realy the animals (at leastat the store where I work) does not make any money and actualy takesmoney to have them there. However they do make money in the sense thatwhen somebody decides to get one we make sure that they have all of theneeds. For example the other day I had a family come in wanting a petand decided on a rabbit. I am excited because they went home with thecage got it set up and then came back with pictures and took the rabbithome then came back again because the rabbit didnt like the treat sothey got another flavor. But when they decided to get a rabbit I saidokay well let me show you what the rabbit needs. We have two sizes ofcages but I have never sent home the smaller cage. The cages that Isend home are the 30 by 45 ones that are solid bottom. Then I take thepeople through the small animal section and show them everything sothey know what everything is. Then we cover the basic needs (this keepsit simple for them for daily care because they can follow the steps)food, water, hay, bedding, litter, vitamins. At our store for the sevenday health warranty the rabbits (other small animals, and birds too)have to go home with vitamins wich I have tried myself and I like thevitamins alot they work great. Than they also go home with vita rabbitfeeds that is apropriate for the type and age of rabbit and then wetell them if they need to switch to the lower protien food or somethingif the rabbit gets older. After that I tell them about the importantsof hay and the differences. Then I also tell them about treats since wecarry yogurt drops and I like to send those home with the rabbits aswell for bonding with the people and to aid with digestion. Then I showthe people the bedding and discuss the different types of bedding. Wealso have things to help with smell and those go home with the peopleas well, and the other options (including spaying) I tell them about sothey know that there are plenty of solvents for any problems thatdevelop. Then I tell the people about hidouts or niches. I always sendthose home with them too. We even have one for two dallors that arecoardboard but fun and serves to purpose for people who wont budge forthe other hidouts since those are super important too. Then we alsodiscuss chews, and salt and mineral licks and toys. For when the rabbitpicks out a corner we also discuss the easy ness of potty training, andat the end we talk about cleaning the cage with the safe products andhow to check the rabbits health daily. I get alot of people who dontrealize what all is needed for start up and alot of people get mad andactualy leave that so much is needed. I get sad when that happendsbecause people have come back before after going to another place likeanother petstore down the road who doesnt have any costumer serviceunless asked for help and then they come back because there is aproblem and at that point they are so tired of the problem all theywant to do is get ride of the animal instead of spend the time andenergy to fix it. Or worse the animal suffers in a poor situation, orturns mean because of the stress of it. I also get stressed out whenpeople come in to buy something and dont have the time to go throughevery that is needed.

I agree I dont like science diet much unless the dog has a problem thatrealy needs the specail formula, like my chihuahua that has bad stomachproblems. The store that I work at recomends nutro and I have to say itis a feed that I realy like becuase it has the best stuff in it out ofall of the feeds that I have researched so far. Our dogs have donerealy well on it and love it! and I have seen results on it as well.Also the people that own the store where i work also hired people fromthe company so that way they have feed expert there as well. I am realyinjoying hearing everyones likes dislikes ect.

The pet stores in my town dont even sell thebrand of water bottles they use whats up with that.I would reccomendthat people do their own research as the info given at many pet storesis incorrect.The american rabbit breeders assoc. has the up to date andcorrect information.they have a book and magazine.very reasonabletoo.bluebird

Gabby wrote:
justa curiosity note, not rabbit food, but since you made the note aboutscience diet, what is your opinion on cat/dog foods?
I am of the opinion that most commercial pet foods just don'tcut it. I wouldn't touch any supermarket brands, and avoid even mostpet store brands. Iams, Eukaneuba, Science Diet, Purina, Meow Mix,Friskies, 9-Lives, Fancy Feast. . .I could go on, but those are some ofthe most popular ones. They're also really bad foods. I could get intoalll the why's, but basically they are very poor qualityingredients masked in artificial flavoring. (if you want a moredetailed analysis, I'd be happy to provide)

There are some good foods out there, though. Like showrabbits said,Nutro is a good brand, asare Canidae/Felidae, Innova,Wellness, Wysong, Chicken Soup for the Dog/Cat Lover's Soul, and otherhigher-quality foods. They have whole ingredients and don't use a lotof "filler foods", like corn.

If you really want to get me going on pet foods, though, I couldgo into all the reasons why cats need a high-quality all-canneddiet, if not a homemade raw food diet. I'm the anti-dry food evangelist:p

m.e. wrote:
Gabby wrote:
just a curiositynote, not rabbit food, but since you made the note about science diet,what is your opinion on cat/dog foods?
I am of the opinion that most commercial pet foods just don'tcut it. I wouldn't touch any supermarket brands, and avoid even mostpet store brands. Iams, Eukaneuba, Science Diet, Purina, Meow Mix,Friskies, 9-Lives, Fancy Feast. . .I could go on, but those are some ofthe most popular ones. They're also really bad foods. I could get intoalll the why's, but basically they are very poor qualityingredients masked in artificial flavoring. (if you want a moredetailed analysis, I'd be happy to provide)

There are some good foods out there, though. Like showrabbits said,Nutro is a good brand, asare Canidae/Felidae, Innova,Wellness, Wysong, Chicken Soup for the Dog/Cat Lover's Soul, and otherhigher-quality foods. They have whole ingredients and don't use a lotof "filler foods", like corn.

If you really want to get me going on pet foods, though, I couldgo into all the reasons why cats need a high-quality all-canneddiet, if not a homemade raw food diet. I'm the anti-dry food evangelist:p
I think that answers alot of what I was wondering...

I just went to a petstore for an interview, and Isaw the bunnies and I dont know what's wrong with them but like 4 ofthem have kind of goopy sore looking eyes ??? One even had cuts on him.And there's this one beautiful rabbit by himself in a cage, he's aboutPeppy's size so I'm assuming he's fullgrown, anyway he had no food orwater and he kept licking my fingers and pawing his cage.....I thinkI'm gonna go buy him...

I think we all have had bad experiences at petstores. My husband and I try to avoid the big "chain" petstores, unlesswe're buying stuff for our fishtank. Although, they do tend to havebetter cat toys too. Then again, I am not talking about food here.

We got to a small petstore for all of our food for both cats andrabbits. We make an extra long road trip to stock up on Woody Pet. I'ddrop to my knees and thank God the day a regular pet store carries thatstuff.

It's a fine line correcting someone at a pet store, I think.Personally, I don't want to insult anyone, but then again, I do tend tohave a big mouth sometimes and have done just that without intendingtoo. At one chain store, I went up one side and down another with someperson about how to care for rabbits, what they need, that they aren'trodents, etc. In a nice way, not yelling or anything, but still. Somewoman was there asking about rabbits and wasn't gettingtheright information!

Ok, my husand is here trying to get me off the computer so we can go to the pet store. LOL

MyBunnyLovesMe-

It's sweet to think of rescuing that poor bunny :(, but it really won'tsolve anything. If people continue to buy animals from poor pet stores,they will continue to sell them. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands ofhomelessanimals wait in shelters for new homes. . .

If you really want to make a difference, you need to speak with the petstore manager, and if that doesn't work, report the store. I'm not surewhat government agency handles pet store standards, but I'm sure youcan easily find that out.

Otherwise, that bunny will be replaced with another one, and who will save him? :?

Well, I had a store closed down in Newcastleafter seeing the state of the bunny housing - HUGE bunnies, 3 or 4 to aguinea pig cage, and STINKING of urine and dirt. They couldn't move,were ill and distressed. And being sold free with a cage....disgusting.

I called the RSPCA and went on a huge rant, and credit where credit'sdue, they shut the shop down within the week and it never re-opened.That's why I donate to the RSPCA monthly: they do their job well, butmore people need to report these stores.

Lindsey :X

Ah, pet stores.

Gotta admit I did get Stephie at a pet store. I still gotta go to themwhen I need pellets and litter. Since I've spent time on this board, ifI got any more bunnies I would certainly get one from a breeder orrescue. I also find it hard though to not check out the bunny bin whenI go that store. I think that the workers there are upset at me becausemore than once when I was checking out the bunnies there, I would tellpeople that looked interested in one about the real costs involved inproperly taking care of one. I was impressed when I was in the checkout line there, a young looking girl and her boyfriend were askingabout the rabbits and the clerk asked them for photo ID because theydon't sell bunnies to anyone under 18. I had to respect that.

I know what you mean m.e. But you know thatfeeling you get when you know that pet was meant for you...I know Ican't save them all, no one can. The atmosphere itself wasn't bad, allthe bunnies had nice big clean cages with food and water (except ofcourse the one I want) so I dont understand why they would look so ill?

What causes the goopy eyes and why would some of them have small cuts?Do you think maybe they fight with eachother? There's about 3 or 4 toeach big pen. They seemed generally happy as they were binkying witheachother at the time, but, why don't they look healthy??

If I get hired as a groomer there I will definitely make sure those buns get the caring that they need and deserve.

i got my 2 birds parakeets (one died a month ago)i've had her for 6 years (when i got her she was already old) and theni've had my boy for 6 years, and when i got him he was just a littlebaby! then i got Chicco (Leopard Gecko) and i'll have him for a year onAug. 14th, and my bunny i got from a petstore, they are all doinggreat! but, my bunny never had her nails clipped, and i've seen someknots in her hair! otherwise she is healthy, nice 'n fat! lol, but iguess some petstores i dont like because of the way they take care oftheir pets! but the one petstore that i really like is Petsmart, andChuck and Dons pet food outlet, even though Petsmart doesnt sellbunnies, but thats okay! they take good care of their animals there,but yeah, Petco i did like until they started to sell the LeopardGecko's too young, (and plus thats also where i got my bunny) butotherwise they ave good mealworms! lol, and then Petland gets theirpuppies from puppy mills, (i also think thats where they get all theirother animals from mills as well) well yeah and Pet food outlet justsells pet food, and fish and now they are starting to adopt cats out.(one at a time since its a small store) but yeah theres my list! lol

and then Petland gets theirpuppies from puppy mills, (i also think thats where they get all theirother animals from mills as well
Yes unfortantly some do or rather use to would be better since petlandchanged alot of things recently but I cant speak for all stores inpetland chain. I do work at a local petland chain. I can say that thestore use to get puppies from puppy mills. A year ago thestore that I work at (keep in mind that I have only worked there for ashort time like a few months) was bought by new owners who own it now.They realy changed it around so now the places that we get our dogs arebetter. We get them from kanses and missouri because those two stateshave the strictest laws for people who raise dogs and all of thebreeders are liscensed and checked out often plus by petland so that isthe best that we had found to get our dogs from but now Actualy we arestarting something new where our head kennel person goes to eachbreeder and checks them out so we are planning to get our puppieslocally so we can insure the places are good. We are also going to havepictures inclosed in the pamphlets that we have on the puppies. I amexcited because I know that the people checking out the breeders and Iknow that they are going to do what is best for the puppies. Actualyour local petland use to use my families vet for when the puppies comein and I know that he has good mottos that is why we like him so hewouldnt put up with anything like that. Because of the growth in howmany clients that he has he had to ask them to find another vet for amajority of the animals. Now the vet that we use is actualy our old vetbut because of driving distance we changed to our new vet. Boy this isgetting confusing lol but any how I know the vet that they use now andshe is good about her animals as well. The only problem our vet said hehad with the store when I asked when I started work there he said thathe personaly like science diet better than nutro wich we recomend. LOL.I have to say the label for nutro looks better than science diet and mydogs seem to like it better lol. I do know that there is alot of thingssuch as "boycott petland" that even want to boycott the store where iwork dont blame then after hearing about some ways things were underthe last owner. Sighhh... Any way I dont blame you for listening toinfo about things when they seem like they could be right but dontlight any candles on any door steps until you know for sure. (somethingthat people do to protest our store, soppose to represent all of theanimals that we sopposivily killed? Kind of scarey for the people likemyself and everyone I work with who work there because theylike animals, and working with animals, and people who share the sameinterests) When I started work at the petland where I work I prayingthat it was the place that it worked out to be. I was scared to deaththat it would be one of those places that you go into the back and bein complete saddness by what I saw. Instead I was happy for the peoplethat worked there and the animals, as well as myself because I landedthe perfect job that was everything that it seemed to be. The animalsare realy the first concern!

Okay since I am on the reciving end of alot of people confessing theirconcerns for the animals I can offer some help for relaying yourconcerns. The most inportant thing is to stay calm! That serves acouple of purposes keeps the person you are talking to calm and freefrom concern about your actions and concern about themselves. You realydont know what a person worked up in their emotions may do and if youhave somebody emotional or even a little bit steamed you take thedefensive even if you dont mean to. Okay next you need to relay to theperson your knowlege and how you know about that. I have been raisingrabbits for a long time and I know alot about them. I have alot ofpoeple come in thinking that they know what is needed to be known whenthey do not. I have been yelled at up one side and down the otherbecuase we broke our rabbits ears so that way they would be loped. Ihad to stand there while they told other costumers in the store that webreak our rabbits ears to make them that way when the truth is they areholland lops, mini lops, and crosses between those and other smallbreeds. This is why you have to make sure that your information iscorrect. She had all of the right intentions but all the wronginformation. I dont blame her for trying to do the right thing but Iwas a little stressed about her going about them the wrong way. So comein with resources internet addresses that you happen to just know offthe top of your head. For example for the person concerned about therabbit eyes. This is how I would go about it. First off give the personyou are talking to the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they are not theperson in charge and perhaps they are working there to do their bestfor the animals even though there may be people in their way to do thatbut they still help. Perhaps rabbits are not their specailty and theperson in that department are at lunch. Then say that you were hopingto talk to them about their rabbits. Take the person away fromcostumers so they dont have to worry about preventing a mob reactionand can be honest with you a little more. Although my moto honesty isbest and I am always honest some fell that safety is their firstconcerns. Okay then the next step is find out who is in charge. Thereshould be a owner or a manager working or somebody in charge of thatarea of the store and ask to talk to them when they get a minute. Thenwhen the manager comes over with a smile introduce yourself shake theirhands! say that you had some concerns about the rabbits with the eyeirratations. Dont diagnose anything you are not a vet(unless you are inthat case present a card and diagnose away!)and being oversure in this case can cause youself to seem book knowledgable wich isbad. Walk over pick up the animal and show them. They may have justacted up or have been over looked by them. Then pretty much see whatthey do. If you feel that they brush you off stop them. State again howyou know the info, still be nice you never want to lose your temper, orcool, or show any anger or upsetemotionsbecause ifyoudo that will stop any negotiations. If they still do notbelieve you say that you wanted to offer them some website names thatwill help them. Oh and you just happen to know these off the top ofyour head and just wip out a pen and find a paper and start writingthem down, and say that the websites are great and may help them find agood easy solution. If it was me I would look at the eye and if say itwas something that needed to be washed out I would say thank you verymuch and tell the people what is wrong if I knew for sure, or I wouldtell them what the plan was. What I would do first is pull the rabbitfrom the floor so that way if it was contagouse it would not spread toanyothers on the floor or anybodies pet at home. Once in the back Iwould do what is needed for the animals consisting of phoning a vet ifrealy nesessary but i guess wehavent had to thanksto catching anything thing before it became seriouse problems. I wishthat the person could see this because sometimes I feel that they mayfeel that their problems were not fixed we just simply hide the animalin the back untill they were gone wich is not the case. Some stores dorequire somebody to complain before they change something wich is realyunfortinate because by then the animal is either sold or already prettysick. I hope that this helps. Just a idea.What has worked forothers?

If you have a legitimate complaint, I think youshould send a written, signed complaint to the manager of the pet store-- or speak to them in person.

If the problem is not corrected, I would contact the local authorities to investigate.

Pam

I agree with you Pam. I noticed on morethan one occassion that the rabbits in my local Pets at Home were notreceiving adequate hay and were having to snuffle through sawdust, pooand urine to get at any little bits that were left. So Iemailed the people at PaH head office to tell them... also some deadfish were floating in the tanks, some had various diseases and werestill being sold too... and got a lovely reply back saying that theywould look into the matter and my comments had been sent on to the areamanager.

Next time I went in, the rabbits had loads of hay and there werenotices up on the fish that were being treated saying that they werenot to be sold due to on-going medical treatment.

It has given me a little faith in the company and am happy to buy fromthem since they acted so quickly. :) Saying that,we got Max from a little privatepet shop and we were told shewas 2 months old... total lie!... and that they did not guarantee thepets for any amount of time. I'd rather buy from Pets at Homeas a result.

Ang xx

Thanks, showrabbits, for explaining how anemployee might feel. I totally understand, working the phones at ahospital, because people get mad at me for things out of mycontrol :?

Pam, that's a good idea. I have some letters to write. . .

Back