Pernod and Perry's Place

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for asking , Haley. It's funny, you must be psychic or something, because I was going to give an update :).

Just before Christmas, I had Pernod to the vet for her myxivaccination. It was a different vet than the one that dealt with Perry.He gave her a check-up and said she needed a dental, and to take her inearly in January. Well, after all that happened to Perry, I wasn't toopleased,especially as Pernod has shown no signs of having problems, andthat it was only a few weeks before that they said she was fine. BothPerry, and my first bun, Fudge, had been fine until having a dental,then had to be pts several days later.

So, I phoned the Rabbit Welfare Association, and asked if they couldrecommend any rabbit vets in my area. They said that one of the bestlived worked not too far away, so I took Pernod to her. I told her allthat had happened, and she checked Pernod out. The result - she saidPernod will probably need a dental some time in the future, but as sheis fine at the moment, she can see no reason to do it for the sake ofdoing it. She gave me great confidence in her - she has her own rescuehouse rabbit, and her primary clinical interest is rabbits. I just feelso bad that if Perry hadn't really needed the surgery, he may still bearound today :(

Pernod, I have to say, is lonely. John and I spend lots of time withher,but we aren't bunnies. I was looking at local lists of rescuerabbbits, but there aren't too many around here. Well, today I was at alocal Garden Centre. They sell rabbits there (which I am against, andtry not to look at them). There is one that has been there for months.I got talking to a couple that work there, and they said that theycan't sell him to children, 'cos he is cage aggressive, and hasactually bitten one of them. They have reduced his price to what theybought him off the breeder for, and next he will be given away freewith a cage :X. I got him out, and he is an absolute sweetie. I cuddledhim for 20 minutes, and he chinned me and licked me (also sprayed me,but hey, that's OK ;)).

John (hubby) also held him - he has been dead against getting anotherbun -but I could see even he was keen. The boy that works there saysthat he wishes we could take him, because he thinks he deserves a goodhome, and not an uncertain future. I really wanted to get one from arescue, but I feel that this guy needs rescuing too. Soooo,we are discussing it. I am working Monday and Tuesday, so I am goingback on Wednesday to let them know one way or the other. I am going tophone my new vet tomorrow to ask about neutering costs etc. So, watchthis space ;)

Sorry this is long, but hey, you asked :D;)

Jan

Here's hoping Pernod will be ok in thefuture.:pray:Don't beat yourself up about Perry. You did whatthe vet said needed to be done. That's all you can do whenabun is not feeling up to snuff.:rose:

:jumpingbunny:Let us know about this other cute (spraying!) rabbit boy! That would be wonderful for you guys and Pernod! :hug:

BTW, did you get my messages about the print?

Thanks for the updateJan.:highfive:That little guy at the garden centre sounds sosweet, I bet he isn't aggressive really, just badly handled! Pernod isa lucky ladywhoever her newbf is,keep usupdated!;)

Hi Jan! I'm so glad you've found a vetthat you can trust. Please don't worry about Perry- with allthe symptoms and problems he had I don't see how it could have beencaused only by a dental surgery. There had to be moreunderlying problems.

I hope you get the boy from the Garden Center. He sounds likehe is aggressive like Oberon was aggressive- only with stupid peoplewho don't know how to treat him right. And didn't you choosePerry because he had been at the shelter for so long? Maybethere's something to this...:ponder:

Thanks for the encouragement :). I still missPerry so much, and although I couldn't imagine seeing Pernod withanybun else, I think she really needs another bun for company.

Y'know, Naturestee, it's funny you should mention about Perry and howhe had been at the shelter the longest. This boy reminds me so much ofPerry, and I think that's why I noticed him. He was digging in hiswoodshavings when I first saw him, he has the same look on his face,and he thumps when you put him back after cuddling. And yes, I thinkhis 'aggression' is because perhaps he has had bad experience, andfeels unloved 'cos he's been in there for so long.

I let Pernod sniff my hands (and sprayed on jacket :?) and at first shechinned everything, then started licking, so perhaps that's a goodthing :). I am still working on John, but I think he can also see howmuch pernod needs a friend. I will definately keep you all updated.

Jan

Oh Jan,this is such happy news,i know just howmuch you adored Perry,and that you will never forget him,but i reallydo think that a new little boy will do wonders for all of you ;)

That little boy in the garden centre has probably been there for monthsbecause he was justwaiting forthat very specialperson to come along ;)

I'm so happy for you Jan :hug:

cheryl

That is great news Jan!

I can imagine it will be hard at first to see little Pernod withsomebun else, but I think it would really make her a lot happier tohavea buddy again. Do you think the store might let you bringher in to meet him just to see how she does?

I'll be praying that things work out for you guys.

Aw, Jan, getting Pernod a friend would be awesome, and it sounds like that boy bunny could use one too.

Tell John that two bunnies are easier to care for because they keepeach other occupied, entertained and physically and mentallyhealthier. Pernod will be much less of a worry foryou (and for him) which should be easierif he wants abunny-free night every once in awhile. ;)

Love to all... :hug:

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

OK, now for an update. I managed to persuadeJohn about the Garden Centre bunny :). So, yesterday I spent allmorning buying a new cage, setting it up in my room - away from Pernod,and generally get things ready for the new arrival. I went to theGarden Centre and ...... an empty cage :(. He got sold just after Ileft on Sunday. Someone saw how cute he was when i was cuddling him,and went and bought him.

Talk about gutted :(. Soooo, as I had everything set up (and beforeJohn changed his mind) I phoned the local RSPCA an went along to seethe rabiits that needed adopting. There were 6 males - all black - so Itook the one that had been there the longest, since September. Like somany, he had been bought for a kid that had lost interest. His name wasJack, but he is now known as Shadow. He is already neutered andvaccinated, and they think about a year old. He looks to me like a NewZealand. This is his picture off the rescue site

Jack.JPG

Pernod had a hissy fit when he came home. She has tried to bite himthrough the cage, and sat for 2 hours :)shock:) glaring at him. He wasjust so chilled, he totally ignored her. Today, he has had the run ofthe upstairs landing, and she has stared at him through the gate I putat the top of the stairs. Still it's early days yet. Shadow is off tothe vet tomorrow for a health check, so I will let you know whathappens :)

Jan

I'm so sorry you couldn't get the Garden Center bun, but it sounds like you helped him get a home.:)

Shadow is such a cutie! Hopefully Pernod will think so,too. Mocha threw a fit when Loki came home too, but afterseveral weeks she completely fell in love with him.

Wow he is adorable Jan!

He looks so much like the little girl Im fostering right now. So blackand sleek and gorgeous. Bless you and John for giving him a home.

I hope little Pernod warms up to him. Im sure after the loss of Perryit might take a while for her to get used to the idea of being aroundanother bun again. Heres hoping things work out. :pray:

Shadow is awesome. I'm sure our girlPernod will come around. But isn't it funny howshewas so calm smelling the Garden bun, and then so against thisboy. I'm glad you decided to get another bun Jan -maybe having another new boy to care about will help Pernod (and you)with the loss of Perry.

Can't wait to see more pictures!!

Sorry about the garden centre bun Jan but Shadowis gorgeous!:inlove: It's such a shame that there are so manyblack bunnies in rescues, they are such beautiful bunnies!:)Ihope he gets along well with Pernod.:toastingbuns

Whoa… firstly Iwant to say I’m really sad to read about what happened with Perry, Iwas reading this blog for the first time, getting into it, falling inlove with your bunnies when it came to what happened… Even though Idon’t know them I still burst into tears, you are such a caring anddedicated owner to those buns, and its so hard to read about those kindof circumstances knowing the impact its going to have on those who lovethem. Thankyou for sharing your photos of them he was a beautiful bunnyand was so lucky to have come into a home with people who loves anddoted on him as much as you did. Further more to be brave enough totake on another bunny, especially to take one that really needs you issuch a wonderful and selfless act, the people on this forum arewonderful!

:purplepansy:

Latest posts

Back