people think it is odd that I have a house rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyG

Reaction score
When I come here I see lots of people who thinkit is good to have bunnies running around free in the house like catsor dogs. But some people I meet think it is weird.

I went into the local hardware shop today and asked the man if they hadany strong tape I could use to cover my cables to protect them from mybunnies. I might as well have said "Do you have anything tokeep my monkeys from jumping out the window?" or something equallybizarre the way he looked at me then he was really unhelpful.:X

And a boy at work said it was unhygenic when he found out I let thebunnies sleep in my bedroom. I informed him that there arevery few diseases that can cross between rabbits and people and that Iwas probably at more risk from standing near him, as he was the samespecies as me. I meant it purely from a biological point ofview but he was not impressed.

Anyone else had this problem? I notice many of you are from the US orcanada, maybe it is just a local thing that people have not heard of it.

Oh yes. I get lots of funny looks frompeople when they find out that I have 2 free roaming rabbits inmy house. I remember one particular incident ofmany that sticks out the most. It was when Jason and I werefurniture shopping. We needed to find furniture that went allthe way to the ground so that the bunnies couldn't get underthem. The saleman thought we were crazy. lol

Lots of people around here think it's odd thatmy rabbits are indoors, even though they do have to be caged (and Iwish the didn't, but they'd kill each other). Although I doknow other people with house rabbits. When I mention mybunnies, most people ask about them. One guy at work asked meif they hop up on the couch and get petted and stuff- the answer is yes.

James just started taking a class at the tech school, and they did anintro thing on the first night. Say your name, where youlive, and what pets you have. Apparently the whole classstopped for 15 minutes to ask James questions about thebunnies. The only person there who had seen a house rabbitbefore was the prof, but she wasn't very familiar with the concepteither.

Well most people find it cool that i have arabbit but then once they ask me why i have two bedroom apt when i livealone and i tell them that one of the bedrooms is just for myrabbits - their little playland for when im not home - theythink im insane. i think they are justignorant. most people dont know what great pets rabbits canbe. a lot of ppl look at me crazy when i tell them my rabbitsare litter box trained - a lot of people just are clueless when itcomes to rabbits. dont pay them any mind, just educate them!

KatyG wrote:
Iwent into the local hardware shop today and asked the man if they hadany strong tape I could use to cover my cables to protect them from mybunnies.
If you're still looking for something, I use plastic cablewrap. It was in the electronics section near the lightswitches and cable ties.

People are always facinated when they find out Ihave bunnies as pets. I get comments like "they actually playwith you?" and "they really go in a litterbox?". Just aboutevery time I buy their kale at the grocery, I have someone ask me how Icook it. You should see the look on their face when I tellthem it's for my rabbits. I have one friend who is actuallyafraid of them. I think she's watched Monty Python and theHoly Grail one time too many!

weird looks? ALL THE TIME!

but after I explain that they are littertrained, what is another reasonfor keeping them caged?? they usually just give me a blank stare b/cthey can't come up with another reason and most of the reasons ppl dogive me (ie chewing) I can still say that cats can destroy propertytoo, but we don't cage them. We just take precautions justlike you would with a cat.

I still get those ppl that have to do a double take esp when they seeOpie b/c she is a big rabbit. It cracks me up when I call formaintenance to come to my apt. Its these big buff guys withtool belts but when they see Opie they freak out and tip toe passedher. All she does is just lift her head off the ground tolook at them and go back to sleep! I hadone guy try to tell me that I was wrong... Opie is a dogright? I just kept shaking my head... Nope she's a rabbit!

ah... we still have so much knowledge to spread about the joys of bunnyownership huh?? But we are definitely making a lot of headway... Theyare the fastest growing pet right now, #3 to cats and dogs... makes mesmile!

Iwould probably do a double take (orthree or four) if I saw Opie in real life as well. I thinkI've viewed your pics a thousand times of her and im still in awe everytime i see them!!

Well, everyone at my work, as wellasall of my neighbors, think I'm crazy. So to add to myreputation, I began putting Raph on a leash and *walking* him outdoorsat the front of my house (snow is too deep in the yard right now forhim). You should see the weird looks I get whenever someone who doesn'tknow me walks by! (But I must say, it's really nice too, cuz I get tonsof smiles over Raph...it's so nice to see strangers smiling.)

When I went to the pharmacy a while back to buy some baby aspirin forRaph, I had to ask for it at the counter. They called the pharmacistout and she grilled me over how old the baby was, etc....so I had totell her it was for my bunny. I swear, she stopped in mid-sentence andcouldn't find any words for a few moments. When she finally did speak,she said, "A....what?" So now I'm officially the crazyladyat the pharmacy too..:?

Oh, and the other day when I was at FarmBoy I was having my groceriesrung up when the girl stopped, took the carrots and started to rip thetops off...I panicked and yelled, "NO!!! Those are for my rabbit!!"LOL...I think I scared the poor girl...she dropped those carrots likehot potatoes and gave me funny looks out of the corner of her eye afterthat...(guess that makes me the crazy lady at FarmBoy now too...).

Im not sure if people consider me crazy beacuse of the rabbits, or because i am :cool:

Im definately not an ordinary person. Never have been. Have no intrest in being a 'normal'... ever.

I dont really pay attention to peoples reactions when i mention mybuns. I just act like its completely normal and that theyre the wierdofor not knowing about them.:rollseyes:

I think MANY of us know about the wierd reactions...

I recall a bumper sticker I saw once:

"You laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at you because you are all the same..."

Who says we should conform and keep our rabbits in a hutch in the farcorner of our lot? Who says we can't eat sour cream with our fries andketchup on our baked potato? Who says a rabbit can't do tricks? Justbecause they are incapable of training their dog, they assume thathaving a house rabbit is impossible... I refuse to conform for the sakeof conformity. My rabbit has his own room too. ;)

LOL to BassetLuv - i did the same thing at thiscorner store in my neighborhood. i bought a bunch of carrotswith the really long green stems because my rabbits like the green butthey wont actually eat the carrot itself and when i brought it up tothe counter the woman started cutting it off - and i said "what are youdoing, now i need to buy another bunch. its not for me itsfor my rabbits." and she gave me the wierdest look - people'sreactions are so strange when they encounter something unfamiliar

Even the pet store people have a funny reaction sometimes. But hey, I don't care. I just love my bunnies!

I remember telling my uncle about my rabbit andhe jokenly(sp?) said " ha is he litter box trained" (having no ideathat bunnies could ACTUALLY be litter trained) and i was like yes.. andhe was like "reallly?" blah blah. It was funny though.

Bassetluv wrote:
Oh, and the other day when I was at FarmBoy I was having mygroceries rung up when the girl stopped, took the carrots and startedto rip the tops off...I panicked and yelled, "NO!!! Those are for myrabbit!!" LOL...I think I scared the poor girl...she dropped thosecarrots like hot potatoes and gave me funny looks out of the corner ofher eye after that...(guess that makes me the crazy lady at FarmBoy nowtoo...).
Hehehe....one time I was in line at the grocery and the lady in frontof me was buying carrots. The checker cut the tops off forher and started to throw them away. I said "ummmm.....excuseme, but could I please have those". They looked at me like Iwas nuts. I expained that they were for my pet rabbits. Thenthey KNEW I was nuts!

juicyjuicee wrote:
I remember telling my uncle about my rabbit and hejokenly(sp?) said " ha is he litter box trained" (having no idea thatbunnies could ACTUALLY be litter trained) and i was like yes.. and hewas like "reallly?" blah blah. It was funny though.
yep i havethis conversation with ppl all the time, they are shocked to discoverbunnies can be litter box trained. some people flat outrefuse to believe me when i tell them! (btw, to answer yourspellingquestion,its 'jokingly') ;)

So I guess they'd be surprised that we have Tinyliving in the living room/dining room and in our bedroom we have MissBea, Ginger (the two gals are best of friends now that Tiny isn't inthere), Boobunny and Who. We also have a little black buckwho keeps jumping the rabbitry barrier and runs in there so he canthump off Miss Bea and take off running. (His man partshaven't dropped yet - he's getting his own cage this weekend unlessthey drop first).

Yes - the rabbits are litter box trained....although I do have tovaccuum every so often 'cause they aren't always the best when they getto playing....

Then again - people think we're crazy for having an 18+ pound rabbit anyway!

Peg

Haven't been on the forum for awhile but peoplealways comment on my "obsession" with rabbits, it gets sort offunny/annoying after a while. People just don't understand that rabbitsaren't stupid, lazy, child only, rodents. I've gotten afewodd comments from my brother when I talk about my rabbit..But a good smack is all they need to keep them shushed!:D

I can almost relate to the stories about thecarrots with the greens left on, the last time I was there the checkerasked if I wanted them off and I just said no thanks. One time one ofthe checkers was asking what do I do with the dandelion greensall the time and I told him that they were for my rabbit (andI did expect a weird look:D) but he said he also gets them for hisguina pigs so I did not feel soo weird! (btw-if the checkersalways rip off the greens off the carrots, why do they leave them on inthe veggie dept. anyway??:?)

Back