Penny is building a nest!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, too bad about the 2nd one. That's so sad. I'll be saying extra prayers for little Piccolo, and Penny.

Doesn't it seem odd that she would have just 2 kits? Considering that she's a Flemmie, right? Just wonderin'...

Maybe it's cause it's a winter breeding?
I'm so happy she kindled but so sad she lost the one. Glad you have a kit tho! Congrats!

Yeah, it is unusual for a Flemish to have that small a litter. It was a first breeding for Penny, and she was definitely "ready". After talking about it, we're not sure what happened. The buck has sired 2 other litters, a litter of 11 and a litter of 9.

The important thing is Penny is OK and the baby is getting fed. :biggrin2: Imagine how big that baby is going to get with no competition for the milk! :shock:

BlueGiants wrote:
Yeah, it is unusual for a Flemish to have that small a litter. It was a first breeding for Penny, and she was definitely "ready". After talking about it, we're not sure what happened. The buck has sired 2 other litters, a litter of 11 and a litter of 9.

The important thing is Penny is OK and the baby is getting fed. :biggrin2: Imagine how big that baby is going to get with no competition for the milk! :shock:

I figured it was pretty small...even the nethies usually have at least 3. Our Flemmie doe's first litter was 6, and we thought we got by on the light side with that! ;)

:shock: I thought the same thing about the 'onlybun'...he/she is going to be one well-fed, well-loved, and well-spoiled bunner!

Penny and Piccolo are doing very well. Piccolo eats like a little piggy and then goes to sleep. He is peeing also when I make him do so which makes me happy.

This morning was rather interesting. Once the baby was finished eating Penny turned around and smelledand licked the babythen started smelling everywhere the baby was and digging the bed, then she peed on my bed LOL!!! She then continued to smell the bed where the baby was nursing and digging. It was pretty amusing.

They are both doing well, and I hope that things keep going well. Its fun to watch the baby eat and then go back to sleep after its finished. Ill try to get a picture posted as soon as I can :D

I thought maybe that was a small litter too. I'm sure she'll be good for the next time... will you breed her again after she weens little piccolo?

Yes I would like to breed her again once the Piccolo is weened.

She really is doing well with the baby even though theyare notstaying together. She is becoming very attentive to the baby.

Feeding is proving to be a challange, but its a challenge that is WELL worth it.

The past few days I have had a hard time getting Penny to stay still. I finally figured it out this morning that If I kind of hold her in my lap and let the baby feed it works out better for all of us.

Piccolo is thriving and doing wonderfullly, I really couldnt be happier about that. I also think it grew a little bit in the last few days. Could be my imagination, but it seems a little more hardier than it did a few days ago.

Thats all the update I have for now. I hope to get some pics up soon. :)

gingers_giants wrote:
Not to float my own boat, but YAY ME!!!!:D
It's so satisfying to see them thrive!! I can't remember if you've ever had a Flemmie litter before. Be prepared...the little one will seem to grow right before your eyes! She/he will have all of that good mama's milk to himself, too! ;)

gingers_giants wrote:
I had a fawn litter in December and there were only 4 of them so they ended up becoming HUGE!!!

:biggrin2: Ya, we had a litter of 6 a while back.By 6 weeks old, they were all over 3 lbs each...larger than our Nethies!

I have 2 Flemish litters born the same day... a litter of two and a litter of 7. I'm tracking their weight for the same reason. I've seen it before, smaller litters have a more rapid growth rate.
But I don't remember tracking it through adult weight. I've been told they "balance out" after 1 year of age. We will see. (I do believe a lot has to do with the mother's milking capacity, so there is a variable that I can not control. But if I do this over a number of litters, it should average out.)

And if Penny keeps track of Piccolo's weight, we can add that to the data. (I'm weighting at one day of age, then once a week until weaning - 8-10 weeks- and then once a month until a year. If anyone wants to contribute their Flemish litter weights, I'd be very interested!)

Yay for Penny and Piccolo! Keep the pictures coming!

When I had kits, the does seemed to feed them twice a day, once in the AM and once at night and the babies had nice fat bellies (provided they weren't peanuts but that's another thread).

Continued best wishes for your new baby!

Denise

Latest posts

Back