Peg's lionhead thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, adorable! Baby bunnies are so precious. I wish I had pictures of my Moo Shoo as a baby. I guess I just have to keep overcompensating by takingway too many pictures of him now. Hehe. But beautiful babies, I love the photos!

As I mentioned in a thread with bonding questions in the main forum - I plan to neuter Harrysometime in the future (he carries the gene that throws bad teeth - we didn't know that when we bought him) and I'm going to bond him to his favorite gal Hyacinth and let them share a cage. Of course, she will be neutered first too.

Someone pointed out they hadn't seen photos of Harry since last summer...so here goes!

Ladies first.....Hyacinth! She's an imported (from England) sable chin doe. She and Harry have had one baby together - one of the ugliest I'd ever see at first...she is now bred to someone else - but after this litter - she is retiring. She is very shy and hates cameras...

Harry. He did NOT want to cooperate till I said he could submit his best photo to "Stud Muffin of the Month" calendar (Stud Muffin used to be his nickname). I hate retiring this guy - he is SO gentle and so good with the gals. But - I can't risk bad teeth even 5 or 6 generations down the line...so he's gonna be a pet. I kept saying I'd rehome him - but he won my heart...

and I can't resist adding this picture of SugarBear last year praying that he could open his cage door again...

I need to find the one where Harry is standing up to say, "Can Harry come out and play?"

Peg

But he is my cuddler. I can hold him and he cuddles right into my arms.....he won my heart over....

I'm about to post BABY pictures here too......uploading them to Photobucket now...

Peg

Anissa's litter (she's my homegrown Best of Breed winner)....she has one that will be white I think...two that I thought were black but looks like they'll be chestnuts (white tummies) - and maybe two harelquins? She had these babies early Sunday morning...

Look at how much fur she pulled - and this isn't all of it!

Now on to Sundae's babies - they were born 2/8 and they do have their eyes open but I was letting them nap...

Mona Kea's litter - 3 weeks old today. I think I made a BIG mistake taking them out of their cage to take photos. After I put them back in their cage they were like, "Woo hoo...there is life OUTSIDE of this cage?" and they started crowding at the door and peeking out and trying to figure out if they could get out of the cage... At this age - they do binky..!

Practicing the "butt"

Oh well - probably more than enough photos for now...

Peg

P.S. Harry is a single mane lionhead whose mane keeps coming in nicer as he molts...

Oh no....its happened! At 13 days of age - Sundae's babies have learned that there is life outside the nestbox and they've ALL come out to start running around her cage and play. Poor mama - she's looking at me like, "Get me out of here....please?"

I think I may have seen a binkie too - this is about the age I've noticed them start to binky (sometimes as newborns they'll almost flip out of your hands but it isn't a deliberate binky).

Peg

Hmm...short answer - no. Longer answer is less or just as much as other rabbits if you groom regularly. I feed Zatch a pelleted diet (Purina green bag) with added black oil sunflower seeds and a dash of oats for the extra nutrients for his fur plus lots of hay. I really feel the black oil sunflower seeds make his coat really soft and easy to comb. I brush him a few times a week.

I use a rubber brush to groom him. Zatch's hair care is pretty easy for me since we have similar hair types lol. ;)

Sorry I wasn't online last night. Zatch is probably a harder to maintain rabbit than some of my lionheads because he has more of a teddy bear style coat. So he needs more brushing - he may actually shed out some of that coat as he gets older.

Most of my lionheads don't need much grooming except for their manes. I can groom about 6 lionheads per hour if I have my grooming table set up right in the rabbitry....but that's because they mainly need their mane groomed as they've shed out a lot of the body wool as they get older. HOWEVER, my teddy bear styles do need more grooming or they mat....

Peg

P.S. Some of them like grooming so I tend to groom them longer - others tolerate it - but I don't try to mess with them as much since they just don't enjoy it...

Oh, Peg you do a more intensive grooming less often I'm guessing? Zatch tolerates grooming and is a teddy, so he is groomed a couple of times a week for for a few minutes each time, taking my time to brush/comb from the ends working my way up to the roots. You're right also about the skirting - it is thinning out and the mane is getting thicker and longer.

Stanleysmommy - how often/long do you groom Stanley?

Jenniblu wrote:
Oh, Peg you do a more intensive grooming less often I'm guessing? Zatch tolerates grooming and is a teddy, so he is groomed a couple of times a week for for a few minutes each time, taking my time to brush/comb from the ends working my way up to the roots. You're right also about the skirting - it is thinning out and the mane is getting thicker and longer.
Some of my lionheads (many of them) I rarely groom. You need to remember that many lionheads will lose their mane - or a lot of it - as they reach adulthood. Brood does aer especially notorious for this if they pull their mane to have fur for the nest (most of my does pull from their stomach and legs...).

A teddy lionhead is going to need the most grooming and I try to stay away from those somewhat simply due to time constraints.

I do need to groom my show line more - and I've been trying to make time to groom them and train them for handling at shows. I'm actually trying to start with my nestbox babies too - so they learn at an early age.

But yes- I guess I would probably say I do a more intense grooming less often. I think trying to have the double manes that aren't teddies is a big help!

Peg

P.S. I have one girl we call "Scotty" because she has so much hair (and it gets in her eyes,etc) that she looks like a scotty dog....and I am considering giving her a good trimming. I think I could brush her every day and 5 minutes later she'd be tangled anyway....so I don't do her as much as I should because it is so discouraging....

Updates on Sundae's babies and Mona's babies...

Mona's are a bit over 3 weeks old....Sundae's were 2 weeks old yesterday...

Sundae's babies are getting to meet their cousins for the first time...

This actually took place AFTER the three photos below....the sable point had been grooming the broken tort baby...finally - the baby was clean enough - so it was time for the sable point to move on...

Really baby...you need to clean up here...

Come on baby - you need to wake up so you can meet us....let me clean you up before you meet my littermates..

Aw come on....I don't clean as hard as my mama does...

See the bunny in the back/ It was keeping a lookout for the flash or something....I love its ears perked up like that...

The more I see broken torts - the more I love the pattern...

Hey guys...mama isn't anywhere around here!

Ok babies - now its time for us to teach you "The Butt"....everyone line up!

Are you sure you're my cousin?

Is she done taking pictures yet?

Peg

I'm a tiny bit hesitant to share these pictures- the babies are adorable....but the cage needs cleaning and tomorrowis cage cleaning day. Normally the tiles in this cage get run throughthe dishwasher every week...but last week I missed them because I wasbehind on other chores....so the tiles are nastier than usual. The cagewas sprayed down w/ vanodine though before the weanlings moved intoit....(there is a tray underneath that gets the majority of thepoop....its just the tiles need washing weekly).

So if you promise to understand that....I'll share some of my babies with y'all....

The bowls really did get cleaned last week but you can't tell it from the photos. :X

First photo - can you spot the non-lionhead? (Its from Puck &Jenny...half lop baby...the littermate is not in these photos).

I think that broken tort has to be one of my favorites...I think thattwo of the other brokens are broken chinchilla (like daddy) and notbroken black...

Hmm....I'm king of the basket?

Peg

You can't really see ALL of the babies in these photos....8 of thebabies are Sundae's....she actually had 9 but one died a few days afterbirth.

Oh My! Ive never seen this thread before. Your lionheads are absolutely gorgeous!

Looks like you have a few broken torts like Mr. Tumnus. A local breedertold me theyre purebread lionhead, is that right? I always thought hewas a cross with something else (because of the rings around his eyesand such), but she said no (and I think he may have actually come fromher..)

Your babies are all so precious. I would definitely be snatching them all up if I lived closer!

Yep - these are all purebreds. It is possible tohave a purebred broken lionhead now....they're far enough along in thedevelopment to have them. YEAH! I love brokens!

Peg

Haley wrote:
Oh My! Ive never seen this thread before. Your lionheads are absolutely gorgeous!

Looks like you have a few broken torts like Mr. Tumnus. A local breedertold me theyre purebread lionhead, is that right? I always thought hewas a cross with something else (because of the rings around his eyesand such), but she said no (and I think he may have actually come fromher..)

Your babies are all so precious. I would definitely be snatching them all up if I lived closer!

Thanks for the info! I absolutely love this pic:

Its neat to see what Tumnus mustve looked like as a baby. They are all so adorable!

Peg, honey, you have got to update this threadmore often! I have soooo missed pictures of your babies (andtheir parents, too)! I lovet that little brokentort. He looks like he's got enough 'tude to fit in Tiny!:D

Latest posts

Back