Peg's lionhead thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
After posting my baby pictures - I realized Ishould just go ahead and do a lionhead thread since I love to talkabout them (and Tiny...but he can have his own thread).

Someone asked me recently what I do since I don't work outside the homeand simply breed rabbits. I wanted to slap them....or say,"nothing...I just sit around and eat bon bons"..

Then my computer crashed and in setting up my new hardrive, etc - Artasked me what I wanted as a nickname. He said, "let meguess..."BunMother"...and I loved it.

So what does a "BunMother" do all day? Well - at least acouple hours per day (on nice days) is spent supervising exercise timefor my does....and here are some photos from a recent day.

You can click on the photos for larger pictures.

Does at play...

Bo asks if she can get otuside the fence and run freely. Of course the answer is no.

"Do you hear what I hear?"

"Ever feel like you're behind bars?"

Unicorn wants to say hi

Sundae (broken tort) and another doe are making an alliance so they can get the best resting spots....

Certain does like other does and dislike some does - I told Art that it is like watching "Survivor - Bunny Style".

(Can you spot the buck in the next pen over? We were doing a mating thatday).

Oh well - that is enough for now!

Peg

I :heart:Lionheads!

I used to raise Peruvian Cavys and Old English Sheepdogs, needless to say, I have a thing for fuzzy!!

Keep up with the pics, NEVER too many!

SAS

Hi Peg!

Thanks for giving us this site in the Lionheads group onYahoo. I like the way this one is set up so you can put pics right inyour post. It's nice. I do my Lionheads in the summer like you doyours. They enjoy the outside very much. You just have to supervise forfights that occur once in awhile. Most just have an argument and thenit's over. But some just out and out hate another rabbit and won'tleave it alone. Do you have any trouble with fleas?? I do sometimes andhave to use cat flea powder. I never knew rabbits could getfleas!Patsy

Hi Patsy! Glad to see you made it here.

I found this place way before I started breeding and it became my "homein my home" as I'd live on the computer several hours a day to read andrespond to folks. My husband joked that I'd rather be on theboard than go out to eat (and sometimes he was right).

As I shared on the yahoogroup - we can't advertise here - but folksalways love to see pictures of babies (and adults). We have afun time talking about all sorts of different things and you'll oftensee posts where folks are asking for help about GI Stasis or what typeof cage their rabbit needs or what hay is good, etc. etc.This board is such a great resource of information when you need helpand need it FAST!

We're fortunate in the fact we haven't had a problem withfleas. I think though that you can do a search up at the topof the page for "fleas" or "flea control" or something and find postsfrom the past.

I don't know why I didn't think to share about this place months agowith y'all...maybe I was afraid you'd get as addicted as I got!

Anyway - welcome to the forum.

Peg

P.S. About fights....you know - lionheads are usually prettygentle but I do have a few does that don't get along with certain otherdoes.....so I tend to let them play in assigned groups. I dohave one doe that has been REALLY grumpy lately (Titania) and she evenattacked a baby that came into her cage from the next cageover...BUT...she's nesting and getting ready to kindle and so Iunderstand her frustration. I spent some time loving on herand cooing at her and petting her and grooming her and then I moved herto a bigger cage and put a big cloth around it. She'd been fightingwith does on both sides of her and while I normally won't move a doethis close to kindling...I felt she needed the change. She isso much happier now - almost back to her old self.

Anyway - I do have a few tempermental does - which just reminds me ofhow unique each rabbit is and hwo they all have their likes anddislikes.

So...do you have any does that appear to be friends with others?

lionheadmomma wrote:
Do you have any trouble with fleas?? I do sometimes and haveto use cat flea powder. I never knew rabbits could get fleas!
There are lots of posts onROabout fleas,but for now, here's one of the betterlinks that was handy from the HRS library. They can bedeadly, nastylittle things. I think it will saykitten flea powder works fine, just don't use Frontline!.

Flea Problems

http://www.rabbitresource.org/lib_flea.html

Wow!! Great pictures.Lionheads are so darn cute!! Do they shed alot? What is a normal weight for alionhead? They look small so I would say around 2 or3lbs, but then they have so much fur it is hard totell. I guess you can tell, thatI havenever seen one in person. Beckie

Peg I love the pictures of all the lionheaddoe's together in the exercise pen. How do you get them toplay nice together and get along??? Do you raise and breedthem asa herd together or do they go to their seperate cageswhen not in the exercise pen. How do you introduce them intothe pen together so they get along? I have a huge run to putthem in I think its 24ftx12ft and would I be able to put all my doe'stogether in it and they get along? Or do they fight a littletil they are use to each other. Would really lovetoknow how it is done. I don't want to see a bunchof furfling everywhere. Oh thanks forsending theemail about this group.ThanksSusan

2bunmom wrote:
Wow!! Great pictures. Lionheads are sodarn cute!! Do they shed a lot? What is anormal weight for a lionhead? They look small so I would sayaround 2 or3 lbs, but then they have so much fur it is hardto tell. I guess you can tell, thatI havenever seen one in person. Beckie
Lionheads are generally under 4 pounds unless you have an olderimported lionhead which can get up to 5 pounds or so. Most ofmy does are right around 3 - 3.5 pounds.

Lionheads do shed a lot I guess - I never really thought aboutit. They do need some regular grooming....but that isn't hardto do - it just takes a lot of time if you have a lot of lionheads todo!

They really are worth seeing in person if you ever get thechance. I've heard that some lionheads can be snotty or mean- I've never experienced that other than with one doe (Miss Bea) whohad been a classroom bunny for a year. It took us less than amonth to socialize her and she's now one of my sweetestrabbits.

Peg

SusansOhioBunnies wrote:
Peg I love the pictures of all the lionhead doe's togetherin the exercise pen. How do you get them to play nicetogether and get along??? Do you raise and breed themasa herd together or do they go to their seperate cages whennot in the exercise pen. How do you introduce them into thepen together so they get along? I have a huge run to put themin I think its 24ftx12ft and would I be able to put all my doe'stogether in it and they get along? Or do they fight a littletil they are use to each other. Would really lovetoknow how it is done. I don't want to see a bunchof furfling everywhere. Oh thanks forsending theemail about this group.ThanksSusan
Each does has her own cage in the rabbitry (I will share about anothersituation in a later post). Each does spends most of her timein her own cage unless they are having exercise time or getting theircages clean.

We started out by having them play on the rabbitry floor.Unlike many breeders, my rabbitry is in my house....right off theliving room. So I would let out one or two rabbits and thenonce they played nice - I would let out a couple more. Itried to always let out two or more at a time so it wasn't just one newstranger...and I tried to keep introducing more every few minutes sodoes didn't have the time to start feeling territorial.

The run that you saw them in outside is actually made up of 3 exercisepens that hook together. If I have some does that don't getalong - I can use an individual pen for them.

Lionheads are generally pretty gentle. But they will havetheir moments and I have to be there with them almost constantly atleast at first. After about 15 minutes of running around andscurrying about - they will generally settle down and nap in the penoutside - and that is when I can leave - but I stay where I can keep aneye on them.

I would suggest if you want to try this - you have two or three peoplethere at first - one person to stay in the pen and another one to bringrabbits to the pen. Put in your most gentle does at first andkeep adding does - adding your most aggressive does last. Iwould never add a doe in her last week or maybe even 2 weeks ofpregnancy - depending upon the temperament of the doe. Thosegals usually get left alone - but - if one is standing at her cage doorhoping to go play when she sees me taking does out - I will take herout and put her in a separate pen.

A lot of it just comes from knowing your does and theirpersonality. I have certain does that are more gentle andcertain does that are more territorial. I have one doe(Ainsley) that can only be in a corner cage because when she's between2 others she gets really upset. We had rearranged the roomand Art had put her in the middle of the middlerow of threecages(and she likes the top row). I knew she'd havefits but he was like, "leave her there...she'll be fine".Sure enough - within 10 minutes she was throwing her bowl around andthrowing herself at her cage and trying to fight through thebars. Art was amazed. We moved her to a top cornerspot...and she settled down and napped.

So yes - it can be done - if you keep into account each does'needs. Some of my does don't go outside but will play on therabbitry floor. Why? because I put them outside andthey just lay there and are scared - but they feel secure in therabbitry.....and will run there.

Peg

I feel like a proud grandma pulling out a wallet full of baby pictures to show. I'll try to not do that too often.

One way I decide who to keep and not keep though is by taking somephotos of them as they grow and then studying them to see what I likeor dislike about the babies. Of course, it is hard to"dislike" anything - so maybe its who has the mostlikeable features?

I took these photos last night....hope you enjoy them...

The babies were having a break from mama by spending a bit of time inthe playpen....and they got all tired out from running and playing.

This little sable point is a chocolate carrier - which is good for trying to breed chocolates.

This little one is one of my favorites. I'm very pleased with the way its turning out.

Side profile of same baby

Who can resist that face?

These look like big ears because I'm doing a closeup but they aren't as huge as they look here...

Someone was very scared and didn't want their photo taken...poor baby!

This is an older rabbit I was trying to see the mane on and make somedecisions about rehoming or keeping. I need somemore photos - preferably with the rabbit posed....

On Sunday we were finally able to connect with abreeder and bring home our newest doe, Prideland's Waterlily.She has the sweetest personality....even if she did pee on me theminute I held her. Still yet, as the breeder and I walkedaround and talked, Waterlily snuggled into my arms and let me hold herwithout any fuss. She is going to need LOTS of grooming...butso far - she's just a little love..

Well - enough talk..here's the pictures (clickable for close-up):

She's a broken blue double mane teddy style lionhead.

Peg

Hi Peg,

I wish Texas was closer, I'd want one of each. They are socute. You are so lucky to have so many Cuties.

Soooska:apollo:

Ok - I feel like a proud mama here.....these areShopgirl's (first called Meathead by Freddy's Mom) ....harlequin babiesthat were born shortly after the New year. I hope you likethe pictures as much as I do. I am going to try to doindividual photos next week....

Photos are "clickable" for close-ups.

Peg

Ok Peg, you have too many harlequin lionheads. :no:

But don't worry, I have a solution for you. Just send MissBea and a couple of her and Shopgirls' babies to me. Problemsolved!

naturestee wrote:
Ok Peg, you have too many harlequin lionheads. :no:

But don't worry, I have a solution for you. Just send MissBea and a couple of her and Shopgirls' babies to me. Problemsolved!
ROFLOL - we will never part with Miss Bea. When she's donebreeding - I'm going to have her neutered and she will remain a houserabbit. She just has too much personality and spunkto let her go. She stole one of Art's t-shirts for her nestshe's building in the cat condo in our closet...I just stole it backand gave her another piece of material. Once she was donethumping me off...she started working with the material to replace thetshirt I'd stolen.

And would you believe - I'm breeding Shopgirl again one more time tohave more harlequins for Nationals? I really do want torehome her after this next breeding but she produces the prettiestharlequins when mated with a harlequin buck.

So while I may have "too many" harlequins - I hope to have moresoon...and with these markings - it will be very easy to place them inhomes......

Peg

Well, I was going to wait but I decided to go ahead and share.

After losing Waterlily this weekend (in the main bunny forum is thethread about her seizures).....Mona Kea blessed us with 6 babies lastnight. Sundae is preparing to give us more - as is anotherblack doe that escaped from the rabbitry during playtime and wanted tohave hers behind the tv (in the fireplace). She's back in hercage.

Miss Bea is being grumpy to everyone so she is shut in the closet again....I suspect she'll be having hers in a day or so also.

So goes life in the rabbitry....experiencing loss one day and birthanother. Some days I just want to cry for sadness and othersI cry for joy.

I'd show you pictures but Mona Kea is very aggressive about protectingher babies - especially in the first few days. Perhapstomorrow I can sneak a few pics of them if I bribe her...

Peg

Well, we just got done w/ cookie break here. I'll tell you - these rabbits are hilarious.

First of all - we didn't get outdoor playtime today 'cause mom slept in....bad mom! So - with everyone looking so bored - I thought I'd break up some horse cookie/biscuit type things I had and offer them to the rabbits. I got out a paper plate and broke them up (I had four different flavors) and went from cage to cage.

NEVER again will I offer a choice from a plate. It will be "here's your cookie" and they better hope they like it.

Some rabbits debated so long I was going, "Look....this isn't a Supreme Court Nominee...it's JUST a cookie!" But no....they had to chin the plate and smell the various cookies and think about it.

By the time I got to the last row of cages it was, "I have a cookie for you" as I tossed in a couple of different pieces so they had a choice. Unless the rabbit came to the cage door hoping to look at the plate...it didn't get a choice anymore.

Of course, Tio & Kyo, being the Netherland dwarfs that they are...wanted the WHOLE plate and each tried to bite the plate to pull it into their cage. Pretty bad when you have to wrestle a rabbit to get your plate of cookies back....

After everybody got a cookie - one of the younger rabbits stood on his hind legs begging for another as I walked by. He's a young guy....with an awesome mane and I think I'm keeping him. Anyway, I slipped a cookie and whispered, "It's our secret..."

RIGHT.

Four other bucks all stood on their hind legs begging for more too.

Moral of story: Keep cookies in pocket and pull one out at a time and say, "I have a treat" and DON'T offer choices unless I have all afternoon!

Peg

Before I forget - I wanted to add some baby pictures. Right now, I have two does with litters. Mona's babies have their eyes open (we call her Bunzilla when she has babies as she attacks anything that comes near her cage - even the hand bearing food). Right now - her babies are snoozing in the cage and SHE'S in the nestbox hiding from them.

Sundae's babies are still in the nestbox and their eyes haven't opened up. They're only 8 days old anyway....she has broken torts and torts.

Here are some photos:

Mona Kea's baby is looking for food - or mama...

I took several photos of Sundae's litter as I was trying to get a good look at the broken patterns to see how they would look. The babies have "naked" sides because that is the way a lionhead looks when it is little...that is where a different type of wool will come in when a lionhead has the double-mane gene (vs. the single mane gene).

Anyway - I just LOVE babies!

Peg

Latest posts

Back