Peg's Lionhead thread / babies/ moms & more

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Peg, I say keep her! :)

Do you have a picture of her, she sounds adorable. Just how big is your office? It sounds like you have a fair amount of bnnies in there.

Susan
SantaCookies.gif

I think only you can decide whats best. :)

Heres something to think about though- you do have so many bunnies (and more on the way), would she be happier in a home with fewer bunnies? Would she get more attention and more run time?

I just know you have been saying you wanted to cut back, and you do have so many babies on the way. Just something to think about :)

This is what I keep telling myself Haley. I actually was going to rehome her - took her to rehome her - kept checking on her almost every day - and wound up bringing her home. She was depressed and I was depressed too. Since coming home - she's been back to her spunky self. (I cried after I was going to let her be rehomed - not just a little bit of crying - I cried the next three days whenever I'd go by her cage).

I just had her in the office for a bit - WOW...Miss Bea hates her with a passion. Not sure if bonding her to Miss Bea and Tiny would work (I had toyed with the idea).

I'm wondering how she and Princess Cordelia would do together...I may try that and see.

The only way I will allow myself to keep her - is if she can have a NIC cage or be free-roaming or get frequent playtimes.

She's a spunky little gal. After I saw Miss Bea's attitude - I made her a 1 NIC panel high playarea so at least Miss Bea could get used to her smell.

She jumped out of it within 10 minutes or so...then she went and looked at the 2 NIC panel high gate I had up for the room and tried to figure out how to climb it.

I wish I could describe her to y'all - I don't mean her coloring and stuff - I mean her personality.

I'm going to continue to think about it and I may try a date or two w/ Cordelia. Once Amy's last two leave I'll have a 12 cubic foot NIC pen I can use and if I could bond her with someone to share that pen - that would be ideal.

My plan is to start trying to neuter does in January too. I hope to do one per month - maybe two per month. I know I can't neuter all my does...but I'm going to do what I can.

Peg

Haley wrote:
I think only you can decide whats best. :)

Heres something to think about though- you do have so many bunnies (and more on the way), would she be happier in a home with fewer bunnies? Would she get more attention and more run time?

I just know you have been saying you wanted to cut back, and you do have so many babies on the way. Just something to think about :)

Peg...this is going to sound so CRAZY to anyone else who sees you're trying to rehome to thin the herd...but...

I think you and her have a special bond, and that you should keep her. I think, judging by your reaction in trying to rehome her, and checking on her so much, and crying when you brought her home 'cuz you just couldn't take it anymore...I think it shows what a huge heart you have for her...and I think it would be devastating to you to rehome her (and possibly devastating to her, as well).

Either way you wanna look at it, I think you two are bonded and should stay together.

You've lots of other buns being rehomed...you're allowed to say "no" to this one or that one...if you love them, and have a bond with them, you shouldn't have to say goodbye.

Now, I know it's hard for you to rehome ANY of them, and you probably cry a little when you leave the feed store, knowing they'll be rehomed...but I can see that Ambrosia means more to you than that.

You're doing the right thing in keeping her home, Peg...and remember that you're rehoming so many others, it's not like you're not still making a difference in your home if you keep her. :)

Love to you,

Rosie*
2256.gif

i agree with Rosie on this one both of you were unhappy when you tried so that tells you something is Tio neutered? if he is try a bunny date and see

Thanks to everyone for their comments (keep 'em coming while I debate this). There is a lot to think about - what is best for her is what I need to keep at the front of the whole decision process.

For those who may be wondering - yes - I have been having the feed store help me rehome rabbits. They requested rabbits from me and we have found out that this relationship works out beautifully. They asked me to come in and share with ALL of their workers how to care for the rabbits - and they have purchased a heat lamp for cold days (and they keep the door down if it is cold so the rabbits won't get cold) and they have a fan going on hot days. When it is sunny but not overly hot - they put a burlap cover over the front of the cage so the rabbits don't get overheated...and EVERY time I've gone there - they've had water and food and they've listened to me about the need for the rabbits to have hay.

I stop by frequently - they never know when I'm going to stop by...and I give the rabbits carrots and treats. If they have rabbits from other people - I check to see if they're boys or girls and then mark their ears w/ a marker.

My information goes out w/ each rabbit sold (my contact information and instruction sheet) and they keep notes for me on who gets what rabbit, etc.

The neat thing is that this is not like a pet store in a mall where the rabbits are totally impulse purchases...the people who are going there are ALREADY going there for feed and stuff and many times they are calling in ahead of time to see if it is possible to get a rabbit.

The gals there have promised me that they will discourage anyone who is looking for "meat" rabbits and as the owner pointed out to me - they are better off selling them as pets (for repeat business for pet food, etc) than to sell them as "meat rabbits". One gal told me that if someone acted like they wanted them for meat - she would say the rabbit was on hold for someone else.....and everytime I go she has another favorite rabbit from the bunch that is in there.

I guess I'm saying all this to say - I know I'm doing the best for the ones I'm rehoming. If they continued to live here - they would not get the best of attention because I do have so many. I've had folks call and come by and share with me about how they're litter box training their rabbits, etc. Its really neat.

As far as Ambrosia goes - when I left her there - she was depressed right after I left and stayed that way for 4 or 5 days. I was in every day or every other day...I forget...and then she started having a damp nose and I brought her home. Late on one of the gals asked me if she could've had a damp nose because she was depressed and missing me - she said they tried to do everything they could to cheer her up and play with her and she was just SOOO sad. Funny thing...I brought her home and she started binkying in her cage almost.

So yeah - it is a LOT to think about.

Peg

P.S. One top I dropped by the feed store and he said, "Mrs. Flint - we don't have any rabbits right now and we'd like more but we know there is a cold spell coming and we don't want them to get cold. Can you wait and bring me in some after the cold spell?"....so yeah - I know they're getting good care. Even some of the warehouse workers pet the bunnies from what I've heard...

Oh yes - Tio IS neutered - he's a netherland dwarf and I think he might like a friend I'm just not sure. I wanted to bond him w/ Gracie but she wants NO ONE....she likes being by herself.

Here is Ambrosia as a little girl...

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
First - the story behind these pictures.

I have a buck that I've had a waiting list for rabbits from him for a year. FINALLY he gave me something - two litters.

One litter was with Romance and I'm keeping at least two out of thatlitter - a REW (ruby eyed / red eyed white) buck and a sable point doe.

The other litter was with Acacia. There were two REWs and I wanted tooffer one for the lionhead auction at Nationals. I make 1/2 of whathe/she sells for but the other half goes to help the lionhead club. Sofar - no one has offered a REW this year.

But I really wanted to offer a REW doe - not a buck - because thecommittee would like to have more does for the auction (they only pick12) and because does are more desired.

Well - Acacia had one REW doe.

So what do I look for in a lionhead? Well - I look at bodytype - how does it sit and what does the topline look like? I look atmany things - but on in particular (one of the first things I look at)- is the ears.

I want rounded ears - preferably smaller - like a mouse's shape. Idon't want long pointy ears...or long ears that we call "Dumbo" or"mule" ears here.

I'm thinking about calling this doe "Sally Fields" since she played theFlying Nun - for those of you who aren't old enough to understand - Iapologize - but she had a big floppy hat and would get caught up in thewind ....

Needless to say - I am NOT offering her in the auction....

Peg

Hey Peg!

I am really happy that the feed store has changed their ways, that is great news. I know that rehoming them through the feed store is helping you out a lot by thinning out your heard, and I give you credit for that. I surely hope they are going to great homes, even if the homes aren't as great and bunny knowledgeable as ours.

:)

They really have changed their ways. If they suspect it will be too cold or too hot - the door is kept down so the rabbits are ok. There is often a fan blowing on them from just a short distance away (that they bought just for the rabbits). She's also buying them (or has bought them) a heat lamp and using that. I think I have yet to see rabbits without water or food.

In the instructions people get is my name, phone number, a list of supplies to keep on hand for the rabbit, feeding instructions, and the address for this forum. I'm about to do up a better brochure explaining about bunny behavior too.

One gal talked a guy out of buying one of my rabbits. She said she didn't know why but she didn't feel good about him and she encouraged him to wait and think about coming back later because she was sure the rabbit would probably be there. She said 15 minutes later a family came in .... bought the rabbit and she knew that the rabbit was happy by the way it settled into the daughter's arms (the gal was 11 or 12 or something).

I've had calls from folks who have bought my rabbits there too - asking for medical help or having questions (I explain I'm NOT a vet), asking about how to litter train a rabbit, etc.

They have said to me time and time again how glad they are that I came in and taught them how to take care of the rabbits....and it shows in the way they take care of them.

So while rehoming has been very very hard - I get to hear about the families that adopt them and stuff....I told them I'd always love to see pictures too if anyone ever brought any back.

Peg

undergunfire wrote:
Hey Peg!

I am really happy that the feed store has changed their ways, that is great news. I know that rehoming them through the feed store is helping you out a lot by thinning out your heard, and I give you credit for that. I surely hope they are going to great homes, even if the homes aren't as great and bunny knowledgeable as ours.

:)

I HATE the countdown to having babies born....the last 48-72 hours just kill me.

Tonight we're giving the girls their nestboxes (some are due before others...Cocoa lived with the buck for a few days since she wasn't the most cooperative).

I can't believe it - in a short while we'll have some babies. I have my hopes on certain litters producing well....but right now - since five mamas will be first time mamas - I'll be happy to have safe deliveries and mamas doing fine.

Now if they'll just start nesting too!

Peg

I must go to bed....but Isenstar refused her supper and is now fervently nesting....along with resting every once in a while.

Of all my does that I bred, Isenstar is the smallest - she wasn't too small or too young to breed or anything....just she is probably the one I'm most concerned about. (I was concerned about Girly Girl having a super huge baby from her one breeding - but she feels like she has two or three and they feel the right size).

Also - we named the broken tort doe...."Twix". She carries chocolate and it almost sorta shows on the spot on her nose...

So now I try to decide - do I stay up (Isenstar could go another day or so)....or do I head to bed.

ARG...

I'm sure glad I went to bed...here is what Isenstar was doing a few minutes ago (most of the pictures were a blur).

DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

HAHA!! Well, I'm glad you went to bed, too, then! She's so cute, the silly little mama...:)

If she could talk, I SWEAR she would say, "Oops...false alarm!!" Hehe!

I swear she's sitting there with her legs crossed going, "You ain't having these babies....." in between labor pains...

Peg

Latest posts

Back