Peg's Lionhead thread / babies/ moms & more

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was browsing a website tonight and realized that lionheads are now "showable" in 11 colors (or they will be if they pass presentation for the first time next year at ARBA).

This is so exciting....the colors are:

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]BLACK: (Included on the [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]SECOND[/font] CERTIFICATE - Theresa Mueller)
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]BLUE: [/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"](Included on the SECOND CERTIFICATE - Theresa Mueller)[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]BLUE TORTOISE: [/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"](Included on the FOURTH CERTIFICATE - Lynne Schultz)
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]CHESTNUT AGOUTI: (Peg's note - may be dropped by Gail Gibbons - she is not sure about keeping it at this time)
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]ORANGE: [/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"](Included on the FOURTH CERTIFICATE - Lynne Schultz)[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]POINTED WHITE :[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] (Included on the THIRD CERTIFICATE - Dawn Guth)
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]RUBY EYED WHITE:
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]SABLE POINT:[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]:
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]SIAMESE SABLE:[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]SMOKE PEARL: [/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"](Included on the THIRD CERTIFICATE - Dawn Guth)[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]TORTOISE:[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]

You can find more information about this at:

http://www.mossypossumfarms.com/sunflowerdomesticrabbitstandard.htm

Peg
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font]

Rehoming Jenson was not easy - and I almost backed out at the last minute. However, I looked at him and thought about how special he was and how much he deserved to be somebody's PET rabbit. If he continued to live here..he would live in a cage all of his life and get very little play time and that was not fair to him. I did try to take him out a few times for play and stuff and he was just a sweetie...but I had to think of what would ultimately be best for him.

Peg

undergunfire wrote:
George, Jenson, and Billy were my favorite rabbits :(.
I hope they get great homes where they will get tons of love and care.

TinysMom wrote:
Rehoming Jenson was not easy - and I almost backed out at the last minute. However, I looked at him and thought about how special he was and how much he deserved to be somebody's PET rabbit. If he continued to live here..he would live in a cage all of his life and get very little play time and that was not fair to him. I did try to take him out a few times for play and stuff and he was just a sweetie...but I had to think of what would ultimately be best for him.

Peg
My mom is a huge packrat and the way she 'justifies' getting rid of things is by thinking of how much someone else needs or will love it. I think it's the same kind of thing you're doing Peg, and I have to admit it is a quality I admire a great deal. I know you put all your bunnies in good homes and they will be loved :hug:

I'm debating on something and decided to post here and ask...

We're going to have some more babies born ~ should I do a "watch the lionhead babies grow" type of blog separate from this - or just post it in here.

I may post for each litter like I did one other time...

Thoughts?

Also - how often should I do updates (every day may be a lot for every litter)....

Peg

I just have to share (no baby news yet - that will be a few days)....

Art went in and rearranged the garage today and it is looking so much nicer.

There are now NO bunnies in bottom cages (they're empty)...makes it easier for us to feed and water them.

There are less cages too....I'm trying to remember the numbers he gave me. There are thirteen along the wall near the kitchen, 14 on the tables in cages, and another 16 in a row near the door - and that's IT!

That's gonna make life so much easier for us with cleaning cages, etc.

Peg

Picies....and even a bunny in some of them!

DSCN1522.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg

Peg

EDITED TO ADD: Gracie actually has over an inch of water in her bottle and is about to get fresh water (boy she goes through it fast - and its a big bottle too)....and the last picture of Faith is my favorite - it really shows her personality.

Well....we came home from the airport and I started rearranging things in the office.

I can't believe it...did you know I have something called "floor"? I'm not sure where it came from.....it was under the tarp and NIC cage.....it looks so....clean!

Maddy and Mallory have been moved to the other corner of the room - they're now in an "L" shaped NIC cage that is actually 12 square feet I think (maybe more if the panels are 14" - not sure what the size is). Even with 12 square feet - they're cuddled side by side and they seem to like the new space.

Gracie is beside them....in a slightly smaller section (6 square feet). She's happy - just stretched out snoozing.

Tiny and Miss Bea are wondering what's going to happen next....I mean - I almost have 1/2 of the room with something called "FLOOR".....Miss Bea keeps sort of eyeing the closet too wondering if she can sneak in there. I suspect it will be her home fairly soon....

oh and Art has agreed to toss out an old HUGE monitor that is sitting on the floor - so that will take up less space too.

My plan (so far) is that when Maddy and Mallory leave - their cage will be split in half again and Tio will have one half and Jenny (my large black doe who is NOT a lionhead) will have the other half. This will give me three rabbits in here - and I may wind up making some smaller NIC cages (2 X 2) for some others...I don't know. I'd really like to make this more of a PEOPLE room than an animal room I think (I know Art would like that too).

Oh well - off to feed the bunnies...just had to share about that thing called "floor"...

Peg

The funniest thing just happened....

Earlier tonight Art saw Mallory & Maddy in the bigger cage - only he said, "Why did you put Miss Bea in w/ Madilyn?"....and I pointed out that it was Mallory and not Miss Bea.

I turned around and looked a couple of minutes ago and Miss Bea and Mallory were staring at each other through the NIC cage...and it was almost like seeing twins...ok...so he's not a lionhead and stuff. But their markings are very similar. It almost looked like they were studying each other to see what they looked like.

I hope it happens again so I can get a picture of them looking at each other - really interesting.

Peg

I meant that their face markings were a lot alike - not really - but at first glance - they are.

Peg

Oh wow - I was just counting down and realized that in 10 days we should start having the babies. I'm so excited.

I'm 99% certain the following does "took"....

Arya - broken siamese sable (w/ Triad)

Girly Girl - broken blue (w/ Triad)

Isenstar - seal (dark siamese sable) - w/ Triad

Kiwi - broken blue tort - with Sting (Isenstar's brother)

broken tort doe carrying chocolate

and maybe (not sure yet) - Cocoa - my chocolate doe.

I can hardly wait. I already have breeders interested in 3 litters for sure - maybe more.

Peg

I thought you'd like to see pictures of the girls who will be mamas (and the daddy)...

These are OLD pictures mostly...but at least they give you an idea - Girly Girl was shown a couple of pages back...

I'M QUOTING FROM AN OLD MESSAGE..

TinysMom wrote:
First is Legendary's Insenstar - a siamese sable doe (they look blackwhen they're younger). This picture is about a month old -Lisa is going to take another one tomorrow for me.

ISENSTAR MAY BE HAVING BROKEN TORTS, BROKEN SIAMESE SABLES, BROKEN BLACKS (I'M NOT SURE IF SHE'S REALLY SEAL AND I KNOW SHE'S NOT SIAMESE SABLE) ALONG WITH TORTS, SIAMESE SABLES, BLACKS, ETC.

SHE HAS STAYED SMALL (NOT THIS SMALL) AND HAS THE TINY EARS I SO DESPERATELY NEED FOR MY HERD. I HAVE BREEDERS ALREADY INTERESTED IN THIS BREEDING DUE TO THE PARENTS.

Next is Legendary's Sting - her siamese sable brother. Once again, ihope to get a newer photo tomorrow - as the picture is about a month old

STING IS ALSO EITHER SEAL OR BLACK. HE WAS BRED TO KIWI - I NEED TO GET A PICTURE OF HER...SHE'S BROKEN BLUE TORT AND SHE'S A TEDDY. HE HAS NICE SMALL EARS AND THE REASON FOR THIS BREEDING WAS TO SEE IF I HAVE TO COMPLETELY DO AWAY WITH SUNDAE'S LINE OF BROKENS SINCE THEY'RE TEDDIES....OR IF STING CAN COMPENSATE AND GET THEM SLEEK.

IF THEY ARE SLEEK - I HAVE BREEDERS INTERESTED IN THEM. ONCE AGAIN - EACH BABY HAS A 50/50 CHANCE OF BEING BROKEN. I COULD GET...OH...TOO MUCH TO THINK OF RIGHT NOW...

I haven't yet named this little girl - she is going to be bred to Stingprobably....her mother Cathie is just a cutie and she's turning out tobe just as nice..

THIS IS ARYA...SHE IS SUCH A SWEETIE. I SUSPECT SHE'S GOING TO HAVE A LARGER LITTER FROM PALPATING HER...SHE'S NOT OVERLY HAPPY WITH ME BUT SHE HASN'T BEEN THE GRUMP THAT THE OTHER GIRLS ARE. SHE'S SLEEPING A LOT NOW...BUT NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF DISTRESS.

SHE WAS BRED WITH TRIAD SO EACH BABY HAS A 50% CHANCE OF BEING BROKEN, A 25% CHANCE OF BEING A 'CHARLIE' (CARRYING THE BROKEN GENE TWICE WHICH WILL GIVE IT LESS MARKINGS) AND A 25% CHANCE OF BEING SOLID.

I ALREADY HAVE BREEDERS INTERESTED IN THIS LITTER IF WE CAN GET SLEEK BROKENS - PARTICULARLY IF I CAN GET A CHARLIE OR TWO FROM IT.

Finally, I haven't yet figured out how long I can eat beans and rice toget her - but I am considering this little gal and a blue doe - bothfrom Kelly of Buffalo Creek Farms. This little gal carries chocolate...

THIS GIRL WAS SO UGLY WHEN AMY WAS HERE....BUT SHE'S TURNED OUT TO BE A BEAUTY AFTER ALL. HER EARS LOOKED REALLY BIG (AND THEY ARE SORT OF BIG) BUT HER MANE HAS FILLED OUT AND MADE THEM LOOK MORE BALANCED. I'M REALLY PLEASED WITH HER.

SHE HAS NOT BEEN BRED....BUT I JUST HAD TO REPEAT HER PICTURE.

THIS IS THE BROKEN TORT GIRL WHO WAS BRED TO MY CHOCOLATE...

brokentortcarryingchocolate.jpg

EACH BABY WILL HAVE A 50/50 CHANCE OF BEING BROKEN....AND OF COURSE A GOOD CHANCE OF BEING CHOCOLATE SINCE DAD IS CHOCOLATE AND MOM CARRIES CHOCOLATE.

FINALLY - HERE'S AN OLDER PICTURE OF COCOA - SHE LOOKS MUCH THE SAME NOW...

Cocoa.jpg

Peg

To keep or not to keep...that is the question.

I need some help with a decision I need to make here. Its a tough decision and I have a feeling I'm not going to like it once I make it (since I sort of know which way I'm leaning).

I have a REW (red eyed white) doe here that I'm trying to decide whether to keep or to rehome. She is almost a year old....well...9 months.

First of all - a bit about her. I love her mama dearly and while I'm never going to breed her again as she doesn't help the breed out any...I am keeping her.

This gal has something like 4" ears (I used to call her "Dumbo") - the standard calls for ears that are smaller than that. I will never breed her because of the ears and because she just doesn't have a lot to offer as a brood doe.

But she has such a personality. Her face just sort of lights up when I walk by - and the other day she pulled a towel off the floor somehow (I'm still not sure how she got it because I didn't think it was that close to her cage - she must've convinced the cat to help her get it).

Her mom is Acacia and I named her Ambrosia.

I was going to rehome her because believe it or not - REWs are very popular here. She has a great personality to be a pet - unlike many does. She just loves to be loved on.

My dilemna.....do I rehome her since she does have a great pet personality - or do I keep her as my pet? Mind you - I have enough girls already. If I kept her - I would either want to put her in my office in a big NIC pen (maybe she would bond w/ Tio and I could keep them together) or I'd want to do something so she's not caged. I'd love to add her to Miss Bea and Tiny as they used to live together with three or four other does (Miss Bea has always pretty much shared Tiny just fine- until he'd leave the room and then tried to come back into the group).

I lean towards rehoming her - but that is going to be one of the hardest things I've done....since losing Drew I've become so close to Ambrosia.....

ARG...

Peg

Latest posts

Back