pamnock--bell-ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Hey Pam,

Dennis said that droopy ear-tips, or "bell-ears", was a genetic defectresulting in lack of cartilage and probably will not correct itself.Have you found this to be true in the large breeds? Because the entirelitter had bell-ears at one time or another, and I believe all of themeventually corrected--except Bubby.

His tips still fall, and in fact his entire ear falls sometimes. AsI've mentioned, Bunbun's also did that when he was a baby, but not forlong. Bub's show no sign of standing up at 13 wks. Have you seen thisat this age and what happens as they get older?

It's pretty adorable, but I was just curious and hoping you might havesome experience with that. I don't really care if they fall or standup--he's just my boy!

Thanks!

Rose

Bell Ears (tips of the ears lopping down) can beattributed to heat, nutritional deficiency (vitamin A) or genetictrait. Bell Ears are a disqualification for FlemishGiants. I've frequently seen bell ears in younger rabbits,and their ears do often strengthen as they age. Coolerweather will certainly help the ears to thicken and stand up.

Pam

Open or weak ear carriage is a fault in thePals. If it bothered the judge enough, he/she coulddisqualifybell ears on a palunder as generalabnormality.

Pam

Ahh. I'm guessing they'll stabilize by winter but we'll see.

For now I'll enjoy the cuteness.

Thanks much!

Rose

Latest posts

Back