Pam Nock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of the airlines will tell you one thing overthe phone, and another once you get to the airline. It canbecome a nightmare trying to travel internationally withpets. A professional pet shipper might be a betteroption. They make all the arrangements, and you just show upwith your pet and the required paperwork. One person had a problemrecently (with international shipping) because she didn't have thescientific name of the rabbits on the shipping crate.

As far as I knew, there is no quarantine period for rabbits flying intothe US or Canada. Most of the policies make no sense --perhaps we are better off just calling the rabbits "cats".

It's also important to be certain you can get them back "into" the country.

Pam

Wow! Excellent, Pam! Thanks. Cher will be psyched to see it, as will I.

Thanks again!

-Carolyn

I know that I wasn't in this conversation... :)... but this info is VERY helpful! I'll bepassing it on to a friend who may be needing it in the near future.

Thanks, Pam! You're a real jewel. :cool:

On another note, Pam, I gave Sherman abouta tablespoon of the Quaker Oats oatmeal and good GRAVY!:shock: I thought that this little bunny loved raisins andcraisins!!!!! ... He just about ate my hand off trying to getat that oatmeal and then did a little jig when it was allgone! lol!

Who "woulda thunk" it? :D

BunnyMommy wrote:
On another note, Pam, I gave Sherman about atablespoon of the Quaker Oats oatmeal and good GRAVY!:shock: I thought that this little bunny loved raisins andcraisins!!!!! ... He just about ate my hand off trying to getat that oatmeal and then did a little jig when it was allgone! lol!

Who "woulda thunk" it? :D

LOL Our bunnies love the steam rolled oats also -- I buy it in 50# bags!

Pam

hmm-i knew bunnies likedoats-but oatmeal? well now that i think about it, batman willeat pretty much anything. you guys shouldve seen him begging for mylucky charms last night.

Greetings Friend,

A couple of questions.

Fauna is a 4.5 year old Holland Lop who was pretty much neglected forthe 4.5 years of her life. She's come to me through Buck Jones.

She's not been spayed, but you'd never know it by her beautifulpersonality. Is it too late to consider spaying her? I know she's oldand the anesthesia is a big risk, but I didn't think it'd hurt to askyour opinion. She seems to be in fairly good health, but it's hard tosay at this point as Buck's only had her for 2 weeks.

Second question: She came to us with a bit of crust in the frontcorners of her eyes. It's like little balls of a sandy grit. The skinis very pink and dry, and hair isn't growing around it. I put a drop ofVitamin E Oil on both patches of pink yesterday, and the one eye looksa little bit better today. Any ideas of what this could be? Age? Diet?Infection?

I'll take her to the vet next week or so just to get checked out, but thought I'd at least pose these questions to you.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and help me out, Pam. I've missedtalking to you these past few days, but you were in the forefront ofour conversations about rabbits and their history and healthcare.

Tucker has had quite the party and it continues.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn!

Cograts on your new baby!!!

Most purebred Hollands don't live past 6 years of age, so in myopinion, would be a factor if considering spaying. On theother hand, a large percentage of does have developed uterine tumors byher age, so I would have the palpate her uterus to see if there are anyabnormalities noted.

The crusty eyes could be due to any number of factors includingbacterial. You can consult with the vet, and may want toconsider Baytril if he thinks the eye problem warrants antibiotictreatment. An oral antibiotic as well as topical seems to bemore effective in some cases.

Pam

Thanks for the info, Pam. Is the eye issue contagious?

-Carolyn

I was always going over this thread since Ithought it was of a personal nature to Pam-WELL...Iapologize forLO and BEHOLD there is my note with some great advice and no responsefrom me! So with that in mind, thank-you Pam for your adviceandthat website-I wrote him an email (as didJezebeland Jade's AuntieCarolyn ...seemsbetween allof us, we will find some way-think I can get em onboard as cats? hmmmmmm)

Thankyou again---------> Cher

Carolyn wrote:
Thanks for the info, Pam. Is the eye issue contagious?

-Carolyn

It would depend on the pathogen. Could be anything fromirritated glands (not contagious), to teeth problems, bacterialinfection or fungus. The older rabbits seem more prone to"weepy eye" and non-specific rhinitis, so it can be hard to determinethe correct course of treatment. My friend had good luckclearing up similar symptoms using Baytril pills and then Tetracyclinein the water. (Consult with vet first). The vet may also wantto do a fungal culture.

Pam

I'll certainly take your notes with me, Dr. Pam.

It's not really weepy eye, it's more of dry eye in the corner. One eyelooks like it has a white head on the corner of the eye. Buck pointedout that there's no puss and thing draining from it, which we thoughtbetter in the area of being much hard to the others.

I have a 4:10 p.m. visit at the vets tomorrow for her.

Buck's had this little girl with his other rabbits for 2 weeks. Theyhave had no problems healthwise, so hopefully, if something was to becontagious, it would've showed up by now or symptoms would start tohave come to the surface.

Thank you dearly for your quick responses and educated help.

-Carolyn

Good News, Pam! :dude:

The vet said:

Fauna has conjunctivitus that was brought on by an allergy irritation.She's got a mild case of it and I'm now giving her Neobacimyx-H twice aday for a week.

She's not eating much, probably due to moving around. Vet said herbelly felt very empty. I'm measuring her food and when asked if Ishould give her some NutriCal, Doc said yes.

She palpated the uterus and felt no abnormalities, so she's clear of tumors at this point.

Teeth are good, all is well.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

And I didn't go broke for the visit either. :)

Fauna was neglected for 4.5 years. Don't know if I told you that ornot, but she'd face the corner of the cage. She doesn't know whattreats or toys are, but she's learning quickly. Buck had her litterboxtrained in one day; and she's been snuggling up to her little stuffedlamb since she got here. You should've seen her beat up on that lambtoday at the doctor's office...Oh My!! :shock:

When she got home, she gave me a loud THUMP when I put her in her cage, and did it again after I gave her the ointment.

It's great to see her showing her assertiveness. She was so docile andremoved psychologically that any attitude is a welcomed reward.

(Sure hope Tucker didn't see that!)

xo,
-C

P.S. The form of conjunctivitis that Fauna has is allergy induced. The vet doesn't believe it's a danger to the other rabbits.

Very glad to hear the good news!!!!!!However, I've often wondered why the pampered pets are so prone toillness, yet the neglected ones are so darn tough???

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Very glad to hear the good news!!!!!!? However, I've oftenwondered why the pampered pets are so prone to illness, yet theneglected ones are so darn tough???

?

Pam

Ya got me, Pam!

Fauna's exam couldn't have been more positive. Heartbeat's fine, feetare fine, no issues of mites, no tumors, mild case of conjunctivitisdue to allergies, 6.4 lbs., alert, aware, nose looks clear, ears havesome flakes, but Doc cleaned them, eyes clear, only thing to watch foris her appetite.

I'm concerned on how to get her to eat, but I'll work on it.

Go Figure.

-Carolyn

* sticking my nose in again :)*

Carolyn, so glad to hear that Fauna got a good report! We were rooting for her!!!

Tell my new little "niece" that I said welcome to the family! ;)

PLEASE, BunnyMommy, stick you're nose in any time!

You wouldn't believe the crush Fauna has on Tucker. Tonight she was inher psychological cocoon. I tried to let her out, but she wouldn'tcome. She wasn't even looking at Tucker, which is unusual.

She stares at him all the time, for hours. Her cage is next to his. Hesits in his Royal pose and lets her look on without a glimpse her way.

When she came home from the vets, she regressed. Tonight when I let himout after she wouldn't come, he circled around her for at least 1/2hour. He was so worried about her. Normally, he's always near me orunder his rocking chair.

He gave up and went under his rocking chair and crashed. I went overand opened the door and just talked to her for about 20 minutes. Didn'ttry to pet her, just talked. After I closed the door, certain that Ididn't help her, she turned around and just stared into Tucker's cage,searching for him.

Ever since, she's been facing out, not in the corner as she used to do.As soon as he's back in his hotel, she'll continue her crush, but I'mso encouraged that she's back to looking at him. She's getting over theday. Of course I went over and gave her pats and she melted like butta.

:)

I have a great vet, Pamnock, Buck, and you guys, so no worries.

All is Well.

-Carolyn

Oh, I'm so glad that you're making progress with her!!! It must be such a rewarding feeling.

I'm sure that His Majesty, Prince Tucker, is loving theadoration of his new subject too. Must be a real boost to hisego! ;)

Please keep us posted with updates on her progress. Iknow it's going to be a real challenge to "socialize" her, but I feelcertain that with your kind heart and compassionate spirit that you'remore than up for the challenge.

Back