Owners of multiple rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
I want to get another bunny but my current bun is getting ready to turn 3 and I'm worried that since he's been living by himself for his whole life that if I get another bunny, he won't like her. I plan to get a female if I do get one but I just wanted to know if any of you have gotten another rabbit after a couple years of owning just one and how your older bunny took to the new one. The vet said it might be hard to bond him cause of his age. It's a little disappointing because I really would like another one to give him a friend! Any suggestions/advice?

His age is not an issue. His neuter status is. If he is neutered, then you can attempt to bond him with a spayed female.
As I mentioned on another post, few rabbit vets know much about bonding rabbits. Even much older rabbits can bond with another rabbit provided both rabbits are fixed. That said, it is up to the rabbit to choose which rabbit he will accept as a bondmate.

If your rabbit is neutered, the best (easiest) way to find a compatible bondmate is to allow him to bunny date some other fixed rabbits at a rabbit rescue. The rescue will help you to pre-screen rabbits for potential compatibility. They will also help guide you through the bonding process (some bondings are more difficult than others [and some are impossible] ). And, the best part is that if the two just won't get along, they allow exchanges. This is why going through a rescue is so great. You are pretty much ensured to wind up with a bonded pair.

It's absolutely possible, especially with a male. I bonded my two when my girl was three years and had always lived alone, and my boy was just six months. The bond was super quick and I have noticed many positive changes in my older bun's behavior.:)

I have bonded female to female, male to make, female to make its possible. I have 32 buns and almost all of them have a bonded pair (show ones do not get a pair)

Well if I wanted to get one of these babies, she wouldn't be spayed yet as she is only 8-9 weeks. But I'm going to ask her if it doesn't work out, can she take the bunny back. Idkk, I'm still thinking about it.

Yeah that's a good idea :), and when you go to work they could play with each other and give them company :)

Well if I wanted to get one of these babies, she wouldn't be spayed yet as she is only 8-9 weeks. But I'm going to ask her if it doesn't work out, can she take the bunny back. Idkk, I'm still thinking about it.

The difficulty with that idea is that since she is so young, she will likely get along initially with an older rabbit. But then once her hormones kick in (anywhere from 3.5 - 7 months of age) then either rabbit can have a negative reaction to those hormones. If that occurs, then you'll need to have her spayed (costly) and then try to re-bond (no guarantees). That is a lot of time to pass. I can't imagine someone willing to take a rabbit back after you've had it for all that time.

Is your boy neutered? If not, then you'd have to keep the young girl away practically from the start so she doesn't get pregnant. It's unsafe for her to conceive too young.

The bottom line is that even if she gets along wonderfully at a young age, that in no way means that they will remain that way.

You might also want to ring the vet and ask the price of a spay. They may be more than you want to pay (have seen them over $200-400). An already spayed female from a rescue is a bargain price-wise since the surgery is already done and paid for. Plus you get to pre-screen for compatibility (which isn't possible with a baby).

I plan on getting her spayed at 6 months and my vet is only $118 to do it which I don't feel is to bad. Rocket has been introduced with other rabbits before and he always does great.

I also have wanted to rescue a bunny since I got rocket. I like that I could pre-screen. Rocket is neutered, yes.

With rescue ones you take your buns for a meet and greet to make sure they get along so you can bond them :)

Latest posts

Back