overweight bunny? pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
I was recently told by another bunny owner (not on here, she who owns a mini rex) that pellets should only be given if said by a vet..? is this true? I've noticed Andy looks a little 'Chubby' (lol) if i should be giving pellets, then how much should i give a 1 year old rabbit? (yay! he turned 1 this January! ;) ) and also how much should he weigh?

Thanks

These are the pellet quantity recommendations from the House Rabbit Society:

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

And here is the article link explaining that, with these amounts, bunny should get unlimited hay and 2-4 cups per day of daily greens:
http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

As for the proper weight, it is better to go by visual inspection and by feeling. That is more accurate per individual rabbit since proper weight can vary even within a particular breed.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

Some people do go pellet free when feeding their rabbits but that requires much research and detailed nutritional analysis of the daily greens to ensure that all the needed nutrients are being given. Pellets help ensure that those needs are met without having to go so detailed in analyzing how many of which greens to give on what days, etc.

Thanks Blue eyes, I'm certain now that I've been feeding mine way too much.

Paytonjpk; what count to determine the food is not the age of the rabbit (some people give unlimited pellets under 6 months, but that's it). It's the size. You can't give the same amount to a Continental Giant and a Nethie the same way you wouldn't feed a Chihuahua and a Newfoundland the same amount of dry food... The house rabbit society indeed gives good guidelines. You have to calculate the vegetables and pellets amount in % of the rabbit's weight. In the end, the whole thing should be around 10% of the rabbit's weight (about 8% in vegetables, with 2/3 of leafy greens 1/3 of other things, and 2% in pellets) a day, plus the rabbit's body (visually, not the weight this time) in hay.

Pellets aren't a necessity, like Blue eyes said, some people go with a pellet free diet. It's sometimes recommended for rabbits who have reoccuring GI stasis problem. They should never be a big part of the alimentation in any case.
That said, I myself decided to keep giving pellets (very little, my rabbits get about 20g for the both of them) because I thought it was very complicated to get a balanced diet with all the necessary nutriments with only vegetables. It's of course possible, and it's probably easier with a bit of practice, but it means really looking at everything to plan good menus. It's also a bit difficult to maintain during some months of the year when you go with locally produced vegetables (which I try to do - March is a terrible month, winter vegetables are out and spring vegetables are not available yet).

On the other hand, you have to be very careful not giving too much of them and to chose good pellets (lots of them have molasses, grains and nasty stuff in them). Rabbits get chubby really easily and too much pellets often means the rabbit doesn't eat as much hay has he could which could lead to a problem during a moulting period or when the rabbit will be scared / older and that the guts won't work as well as they should).

Since my bunny is so young I feed him 1/2 cup of pellets every night, do you think this may be too much and the cause of his tiny poops? I was planning on cutting back to 1/4 cup of pellets every night when he turned one, but should I do it now? Recommendations? Please keep in mind he is only 7 months old.

Isn't he too young though? I read that under one year should be fed 1/2 or unlimited and my breeder told me that as well...

No. Generally its 6 months for small/medium breeds. Just like dogs the smaller ones are done growing much sooner.
You could do 1/8th cup too and be fine. Pellets really arent necessary. Hay and water are the most important parts of a rabbits diet.

The general rule is 1/4cup of pellets per 5lbs of body weight as a MAX for the non babies.

Too much pellets can cause issues in a lot of rabbits.

Is it okay if I start giving him 1/4 immediately or should I transition some how? I also have another question... he's never been fed fruits or veggies and I'm not sure if you saw the thread I started but he's had small poops starting yesterday he's eating both hay and pellets and drinking water so I'm not sure what it is, but should I introduce fruits and veggies now (maybe they'll help) or wait till his poops are back to normal? Thank you so much! I'm really hoping it's not the early stages of GI Stasis :(

Wait until his poops are back to normal by reducing pellets slowly (I'd say take about two weeks to reduce from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup, reducing some each night) so that encourages him to eat hay. Hay is the MOST important part of their diet, and so you want him eating that.

In terms of veggies, once his poops are back to normal, you should introduce those slowly (e.g. no more than 1 vegetable type per week). There are lots of good resources as to what kinds of vegetables (e.g. kale is good, but has too much calcium to be fed a lot; parsley is great, carrot TOPS are great). Fruits should only really be given as treats- they are SUPER sugary and can cause GI problems.

One way I personally like to think about treats and greens etc, is that rabbits (at least those <5 lbs like mine) only need 15-20 calories (or kCal if you are not American and doing it correctly :p) per day. So even one whole carrot is too many calories (and will cause GI issues). Hay is great because it has very few calories and is VERY good for their GI tracts!

Thank you so much! Also he is only 7 months so is 1/4 cup of pellets enough or should is wait till he's older?

Thank you so much! Also he is only 7 months so is 1/4 cup of pellets enough or should is wait till he's older?

7 months old is NOT a baby anymore.
He is plenty old enough to be transitioned to an adult amount of pellets.
The fact that your bun is already having poop issues means you really should be cutting back on those pellets. As I said, even 1/8th cup would be plenty because pellets are not the staple of a rabbits diet, that should be hay. So encourage your rabbit to eat more hay. Timothy, Orchard, Botanicle, Oat, Meadow, etc.... (No Alfalfa/Lucerne) Lots of hay!

Back