Overnight Veggie Storage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raspberry82 wrote:
I see :). How long will you be gone that he'll need to feed them alone? Sorry if you already said this.
Whatever amount they normally tolerate, you could put that amount in separate small sandwich baggies in the fridge.. so he'll just give 1 bag per feeding.
I'm talking about having him take over the buns' morning feeding when I return to work. So it would become a permanent thing; so using a new plastic baggie each day would get rather wasteful (although it would be convenient). :?
If it is short term, buns really can do just fine with less veg, so long as they have plenty of hay to munch and their usual pellet amount.
Due to digestive issues, they don'tget pellets now, either. One bun is onhay only (for now); the othergets hay and (recently a reduced ration of)leafy greens.
I'd be more concerned with making sure my guy knew to they need to have plenty of hay in their cage to eat. Like 1 big overflowing handful in the AM, 1 overflowing handful in the PM. :p
My hubby putsso much hay into Emma's litter box, that I can't gauge by the morning how much she's eaten overnight. Egads!

Honestly, this is another reason that I may never have buns again: I just can't count on my hubby to grasp the nuances of their care--and I feeltoo stressed out being their one-and-only. But I know for a fact that he can master the correct amounts to feed/water a dog or cat. (We have one cat now, so I know for sure. ;))

I'd definitely give him a chance.. it takes everyone a little while to learn the complicated feeding needs of bunnies and especially learning how to read bunny health signals :). I bet with some practice, once he get into their feeding routine and discussing any issues/questions with you when you come home after work, things may work out fine. At least he's willing to try!!

It does sound complicated, though for your babies.. I understand why you feel anxious about their diet being handled properly! At least if anything comes up diet wise that he doesn't know what to do about.. aka poopy butt, he can just call you for advice?

Plastic baggies can be washed out with soapy water, then dried and reused if you're just using them for bunny veggies. Then it isn't so wasteful, but a pain having to wash them out and dry every time :p.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
These are what I use!! It's a UK site but I think that they're fairly widely available...

http://www.alacook.co.uk/cat--Lock-n-lock-food-storage-containers--locknlockhandy.html
Morrisons sell these for about half of what they are on that website :p or ikea sell them, definitly good quality and good for storage - I cant count the amount of times I have dropped them outside on the concrete floor and they have stood up to it.
Yeah we got ours in Woolies, I was just looking for a pic for reference.... the Woolworths website isn't working lol- I guess it's bottom of their list of priorities right now! :p They are so tough too!

I am so glad I have Steve so well trained lol- he knows exactly how much hay (ie- lots!), and exactly how much veg etc to give, but then he does most of the feeding in the house (I do the other housework, and bunny chores).

You could always write on labels on the side- 3 leafs romaine, X stalks of parsley etc? But then if you got those tupperware containers in the right size, you could make the salads, store them all up in the boxes, and they'd be the right portions for the bunnies....

Raspberry82 wrote:
I'd definitely give him a chance.. it takes everyone a little while to learn the complicated feeding needs of bunnies and especially learning how to read bunny health signals :). I bet with some practice, once he get into their feeding routine and discussing any issues/questions with you when you come home after work, things may work out fine. At least he's willing to try!!
I've the impression that he doesn't want to learn, to be sooo involved with the nuances and I am. (And I'm not overly thrilled about having to track their diet, output and medications--but someone needs to.)
It does sound complicated, though for your babies.. I understand why you feel anxious about their diet being handled properly! At least if anything comes up diet wise that he doesn't know what to do about.. aka poopy butt, he can just call you for advice?
I've been trying to impress upon him for eons now the importance of him beingable to gauge what's normal and what's not when it comes to rabbit fecals. He says that if he sees poop, then all should be well. I keep reminding him thatdiscovering a problem early (via fecal observance) can mean the difference between a vet visit or not.

Plastic baggies can be washed out with soapy water, then dried and reused if you're just using them for bunny veggies. Then it isn't so wasteful, but a pain having to wash them out and dry every time :p.
Yeah,I'm lookin' for a time-saver. I've enough work trying to balance different diets for all three buns, medicating 1-2 of them at any given time, and tracking their symptoms/diet/medicine administrations. :(

How about paper plates? if you get the big cafe pack they are SO cheap, just pick up the old plates along with old hay and beddding and throw in the bin. If they are for over night dish out veggies at night onto them and store them ontop of each other in the fridge. They will be absolutely fine!

Luv-bunniz wrote:
How about paper plates? if you get the big cafe pack they are SO cheap, just pick up the old plates along with old hay and beddding and throw in the bin. If they are for over night dish out veggies at night onto them and store them ontop of each other in the fridge. They will be absolutely fine!
I can't trust my girl to not eat a paper plate, otherwise I would try it. :)

BethM wrote:
(Some days everything is frozen in there, other days it's normal, even though the temp hasn't been changed. The apartment management says the fridge works "fine.")
Ours does this too. We figured out that if anything is touching the back of the fridge, it will freeze. It freezes ANYTHING. We've had an entire gallon of milk frozen before! Now we just house our veggies up near the front of the fridge.

kherrmann3 wrote:
BethM wrote:
(Some days everything is frozen in there, other days it's normal, even though the temp hasn't been changed. The apartment management says the fridge works "fine.")
Ours does this too. We figured out that if anything is touching the back of the fridge, it will freeze. It freezes ANYTHING. We've had an entire gallon of milk frozen before! Now we just house our veggies up near the front of the fridge.
Ours does it too! :( The amount of stuff I've had to throw out.... We reeeeeally need a new fridge whenever we think of buying one, it gets better! The tupperware boxes protect the delicate romaine and herbs and we just keep the rest of the stuff either in the draws or towards the front of the fridge.... We need to get more really! It doesn't help that our fridge has about 150 carrots in it because we buy the bunches with tops and feed them to buns, but obviously not carrots in that amount! :shock:

Luv-bunniz wrote:
I've just thought, is it not possible to give veggies when you get home from work?
I think Jenk said further up that her hubby would be doing the morning feeding while she would still do the evening feeding. I presume to share the responsibility a bit.... I also presume from this that veggies are fed twice a day?

We feed them twice a day- if we dared to put down a bowl without veggies I dread to think of the thumping! :shock: :p

Edit: if any of that's wrong, then I'm sorry for answering for you Jenk! :?

mouse_chalk wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:
I've just thought, is it not possible to give veggies when you get home from work?
I think Jenk said further up that her hubby would be doing the morning feeding while she would still do the evening feeding. I presume to share the responsibility a bit.... I also presume from this that veggies are fed twice a day?
That's correct, mouse_chalk.

When recently talking about Emma's stasis issues,the vet suggested offering an AM/PM feeding of greens (for a timed ingestion of plant enzymes and probiotics that I put on them).

I've very recently reduced her consumption of greens to see if that makes a difference in terms of her stasis issues; so I'd also rather offer two daily feedings to get a lil' extra moisture in her on a more timely basis. Again, I'm hoping that it makes a difference....

How about getting some of the take away fish and chip shop paper? serve it out into it at night, wrap it up put it in the fridge and give it to them in the morning, if they destroy it no harm done. Or just normal newspaper with soy-based ink.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
How about getting some of the take away fish and chip shop paper? serve it out into it at night, wrap it up put it in the fridge and give it to them in the morning, if they destroy it no harm done. Or just normal newspaper with soy-based ink.
I would use something along those lines, but my girls are notorious for digestive issues; I can't risk giving them any paper-related products. :(

Latest posts

Back