Overnight Veggie Storage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Currently, I store veggies in a non-green friendly manner (my bad :(): wrapping greens in paper towels, stored within plastic freezer bags.

This method works for now, since I'm home. But when I return to work, my hubby will need to take over one feeding a day. I'm wondering how I might prepare/store veggies overnight, so that they're "ready-to-feed" in the morning.

Thank you,

Jenk

Hmm, how do you mean? I keep mine in the fridge and yank off a few leaves or grab a carrot etc when needed. They all just sit there on the shelves.

I don't know if you can get them over there, but we have 'everfresh' bags here.... They're reusable, washable plastic bags, that you store veggies in and they stay fresher for longer.....

Or we also have plastic tubs that clip shut- airtight, and lettuce and herbs stay fresh for ages that way!

You're talking about making up a 'salad' the night before, so it just needs to be emptied into a bowl the next morning right? I think that would work quite well..... When we buy romaine lettuces, we pull the individual leaves off the stem and store them loose in the box (to fit more in lol!) and they keep fresh all week that way.... I line the bottom of the box with paper towel to soak up any moisture

Hope that helps! :)

I also just throw the lettuce/veggies in the fridge. They just perch on the shelves until I grab them out. :) The Pick'N'Save grocery that we go to has all of their veggies under those stupid misters, so they are always wet and don't keep very well. I find that buying the "organic" romaine lettuce in the bags keeps longer because of the lack of moisture on the leaves.

mouse_chalk wrote:
You're talking about making up a 'salad' the night before, so it just needs to be emptied into a bowl the next morning right? I think that would work quite well..... When we buy romaine lettuces, we pull the individual leaves off the stem and store them loose in the box (to fit more in lol!) and they keep fresh all week that way.... I line the bottom of the box with paper towel to soak up any moisture.
I may just go that route: using Tupperware (sealed plastic containers) with a paper towel in the bottom.

kherrmann3 wrote:
I find that buying the "organic" romaine lettuce in the bags keeps longer because of the lack of moisture on the leaves.
I buy bagged lettuce (romaine,green-leaf and red-leaf)for the same reason.

The key to keeping my veggies fresher is to use small dishcloths in freezer bags with the veggies instead of paper towels . The cloth keeps the veggies much drier plus cuts down on use of paper towels

angieluv wrote:
The key to keeping my veggies fresher is to use small dishcloths in freezer bags with the veggies instead of paper towels . The cloth keeps the veggies much drier plus cuts down on use of paper towels
I assume that you keep a separate stash of dishcloths that have never been used on dishes for this purpose?

That's an interesting solution I hadn't considered but now certainly will. :)

I grab a piece or a pinch of leaves too and rinse them in the sink in my hand and then get a papertowel for the excess water, carry them in on that and give them to the bunnies LOL!

I have tho, cleaned veggies like cilantro, celery leaves, lettuce really well and then put them in zip lock baggies and they keep for a couple of days real well.

Any kind that are small//like cocktail cloths sold in a pack anywhere..can also be a small washcloth
works way better than paper towels ..and I use them just for veggies.

i started to do it because i got a lot of little towels from the shelter . at the shelter towels are donated and are used for everything ...including cleaning a cage

Istarted using towels rather than paper towels ..wash them and them re-use them for the animals.
they absorb better than any paper towel ....

I keep my veggies in these containers that clip closed, and they last about a week. I have a really terrible fridge so just tossind the veggies in is a sure way for them to go bad quick. (Some days everything is frozen in there, other days it's normal, even though the temp hasn't been changed. The apartment management says the fridge works "fine.")

I usually buy a weeks-worth at a time, and wash them all at once. The containers I use have a drainage tray at the bottom, I just pour it out the first two days or so and then the excess moisture is gone.

url]
100_1249.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside of one container with parsley in it.

100_1248.jpg

Here's the three containers ready to go. (Parsley, cilantro, leaf lettuce. Other veggies get stuck in with these three main ones.)

100_1247.jpg

The three containers in my fridge. They take up about half on the bottom shelf, but it's nice that they're stacked and neat.

I agree that you could probably just prepare one salad in a tupperware or something and then it's just ready for your husband to feed.

Here are the EverFresh bags... I don't use them myself yet, but I hear great things about how fresh they keep produce! They are washeable and reuseable. Green colored ones are for veggies, red colored ones for meat.

http://www.bright-star-promotions.com/greenbags/

I just make sure my veggies are dried off, moisture makes them go bad faster and I keep my fridge a bit more on the colder side.

Boy, compared to the organization and special packaging of all you guys, I'm pretty lazy about my veggie storage, LOL (store plastic bag, dry with paper towel, dump into veggie drawers). But we go through veggies really fast around here. Well, me and the bunners do anyway. Not the bf, ha! Sometimes I use freezer bags.. the best way to use them is squeeze ALL the air out so it looks vaccum sealed.. then close.

I forgot to add... to make it even easier on your hubby, you could put a 1 cup measuring cup inside with the lettuce/veg.. and put a strip of masking tape on top of the tupper ware that says 2 cups veg per day. Then the measuring amount is already right there.

Ready to eat salads are wrapped in a dish towel and saved in a plastic box.
Greens we bring home are wrapped in a dish towel and sealed in their original plastic bags.

Raspberry82 wrote:
...To make it even easier on your hubby, you could put a 1 cup measuring cup inside with the lettuce/veg.. and put a strip of masking tape on top of the tupper ware that says 2 cups veg per day. Then the measuring amount is already right there.
I may have to do that. What's especially tricky is that our girls can't seem to tolerate a lot of greens.And my husbandjust hasn't a knack/clue as to how to tweak their food amounts :?--which is the main reason why I feel that I'll need to measure it out the night before.

I see :). How long will you be gone that he'll need to feed them alone? Sorry if you already said this.

Whatever amount they normally tolerate, you could put that amount in separate small sandwich baggies in the fridge.. so he'll just give 1 bag per feeding. If it is short term, buns really can do just fine with less veg, so long as they have plenty of hay to munch and their usual pellet amount.

I'd be more concerned with making sure my guy knew to they need to have plenty of hay in their cage to eat. Like 1 big overflowing handful in the AM, 1 overflowing handful in the PM. :p

I know for my guy, I'd try to make things as simple as possible and write out simple directions for feeding/food amounts for him because he always forgets directions if I just tell him, lol :p.

Yeah, I think measuring out the right amounts so he can just grab it to give them would be perfect. If I told my bf, give them tons of hay and 2 cups veg and their pellets (and he's fed them solo before), I know I'd come home to their bowl full to the top with pellets, massive quantities of hay all over their cages, and 2 cups veggies.. lol.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet or not but try not to cut up the veggies! it makes it go bad quicker so if you have to part it up at all, rip it up. Why not get a food bowl that is the right amount for veggies then he can just fill it up with the veggies and put it in without worrything whether there is too much? or even better, an air tight container that he can just take the top off and put in the cage?

Latest posts

Back