Overdue Doe/UPDATE: only 1 kit survived

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mum is a broken choc while the dad is a solic choc. I was hoping that the little kit turns out to be solid choc or perhaps lilac. Any color for me will do for now because it is so precious. As long as it grows up healthy I would be super duper happy.

I am going to remove the kit from the cage in the morning and return it to mommy at night. She is having a super big tummy. Hope I am doing the right thing.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to update more on the sole surviving kit. But I guess pictures would be more appropriate since I do not really have the right words to say:

img_2762.jpg

img_2765.jpg

Hi Dawn,

I will post pictures of Little Hope regularly. A very special kit for me indeed.

thank u all for prayers. Really appreciate it.

Wonderful to see the little one doing so well! Such a plump lil' belly! LOL! All that milk for one baby! He's going to be spoiled! Very happy for you!

Dear All,

I am getting a little worried about Noobie. Since the little one is too plump, I started taking the entire nest box out every morning and return it to Noobie at night so to avoid over feeding.

Noobie pulls a lot of fur each time I put the nestbox back for her. By the rate it is going, I worry that she will be bald by the time little kit weans.

Is this normal behavior? How much fur pulling would be bad?

Fused

It's a normal reaction. I have does that pull fur for a week to 10 days after kindling. Whatever she pulls will grow back in. What you are doing is excellent. Bring her the baby twice a day to nurse. Keeping the timing short will reduce the fur pulling. At this age, the baby can get all it needs in 5 minutes, especially since it's not fighting siblings to find a nipple.

Thanks BlueGiants for sharing your advice. This is the first time I am experiencing a doe pulling so much fur. I believe it is not an issue as the fur will definitely grow back.

Here are a couple of pictures of the kit today. I am wondering if kits have cradle cap like human babies. There is a little crusty dry skin on its back and head. Check this out:

img_2771.jpg

img_2772.jpg

That is like dandruff, where it has more thicker hair coming it it's skin is shedding. All baby rabbits do this :biggrin2:

Soo cute! I currently have 2 little chocolate Holland babies. I call them my little Chocolate Drops!:p

Aw....so cute. I love lilacs.....I can hardly wait for pics after the eyes open and we can see just what type of mischief the baby will get into...

:biggrin2:

I am anxious too...Such a precious little thing for me. Made in US born in Malaysia lilac babe. I believe she is the first lilac HL here. Hope she makes it to adulthood. It is just so hard to be sure when it comes to bunnies.

Thank you for sharing this story with us. I've learned a lot in it! Little Hope is such a cutie, and I'll be thinking of her, Noobie, and you. I'm looking forward to seeing her grow up!:)

One comment--it might be good to put "Warning-graphic photos" on this because I wasn't prepared to see dead kits and it was a bit shocking. I'm a biologist, so it didn't really disturb me, but I can see how it would disturb some. Plus having the warning there makes you a bit more "prepared" to see stuff like that. I don't think it's wrong to put up pictures like that--it's really interesting to see how rabbit fetuses look and to speculate on what happened that led to her having this (mostly) unsuccessful litter, but not all of us are used to seeing stuff like that. Anyway, I'm glad you shared this story with us, got some good advice, and helped us all to learn a little about gestation and birthing in rabbits.;)

Oh, sorry I didn't see it. When you click on a post from the main page the subtitles don't show up, so I didn't see it.

TonyShuman,

I am sorry that the pictures got you a little disturbed. It was not my intention to scare anyone but at the same time I believe that it would be very educational and prepares any inspiring breeders to be preapared for such incidents.

I believe the warning has been in placed since the photos are posted.

Senior Members/Breeders,

Little Hope just has its eyes opened. The nest box is untouched for about 11 days now and I was wondering when would be the best time for me to clean it up. Anyone have any suggestions on the best time to clean up the nest box or removing it altogether? Since Little Hope is alone, I am a little worried if it gets a cold. Since the there is still a lot of fur in the nest box, cleaning it up would mean it will only have hay to keep warm. Anyone can suggest? I am tempted to clean it because I am also afraid that Little Hope may ingest some of its mummy's fur. Saw it munching on the fur today.

Please advice. Thank you all!

More photos for all to enjoy:

img_2880.jpg

img_2891.jpg

img_2896.jpg

I have had does use their nest boxes as litter boxes and I have had to clean the boxes every 2-3 days till the dayI takethem out. If she isn't pottying in it I wouldn't worry.

If there is bedding to absorb the pee from the baby you don't really have to clean it but if not the hair will get all nasty. What I advise is if you really want to clean it is to take the hair out, clean the box, put some type of absorbing bedding in, put lots of hay, make a pocket in the back of the box in the hay, put the baby in and then put the hair on the baby. If the hair is under the baby when it pees it will get stuck to it and get all nasty.

She is such a cutie! I just love the Lilac color and adding the pudgy look and lopped ears of the Holland makes it all the better :biggrin2:

thanks a lot bunnybunbunb. really appreciate your great advice. I have cleaned up the nest box already because there are a lot of waste in it. I have given a lot of hay but wonder if the fur is neccessary since they are indoors and there is NO direct blow from a fan or anything like that. The weather here is rather hot at the moment.

It doesn't have to have to fur but I perfer babies to get fur in their nest till 2 weeks. If you want to take it out you can but I would put it in a baggy and keep it. I would also check the baby as much as possible because anything can cause a little air to blow such as someone walking past, momma jumping out, etc(also depending on the box) and once the baby looses it's body heat it isn't easy for it to get it back. The fur is very messy but needed at least till they have fur, even inhot weather:p

Latest posts

Back