Overdue Doe/UPDATE: only 1 kit survived

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusedBrain

Reaction score
Hi people,

Just need some advice here. I just got a doe from a breeder and she told me she has place her with a buck between 9th March and 15th March 2008. Yeah, that's a week of mating.

I could see that she is heavily pregnant and today being the 32nd day from 15th March (I assume she took the buck on the last day with him), she has not shown any signs of kindling. I could see kits kicking from the inside of the tummy - occassional thuds on her tummy wall. Not the usual gas wavy movements. I could also feel the kits kicking by just feeling her tummy gently.

When would I know if there is a problem with her pregnancy? She had a litter before this without any complication.

I am starting to worry as normally my other does kindles on time.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Fused

I'm by no means an expert, but I thought that it's possible for a pregnant doe to go until the 34th day. Also, if she didn't even get pregnant until the 15th, that would only put her on day 31. I'm sure that tons of people will come by to offer experience and advice, but I just thought I'd put that out there to help ease your worry. I'd suggest taking her to the vet if you're really concerned, but I don't know how that would be stress-wise on a pregnant doe.

Please keep us updated! I hope everything's alright for mom and the babies.

I've had doeskindleas late as 33 days after breeding, especially if they are having a very large litter. But at this point, I might be concerned too. Do you still see movement?

If she doesn't kindle by tomorrow, (and your still sure she's pregnant), I'd get a professional opinion. Do you have access to a good (rabbit) vet? Vet could X-ray to check for kits and status in the uterus. Maybe give a shot to stimulate contractions.

Quit worrying. She will kindle when she is ready. I have does go over the 30 days. Just because they amted on the 15th of March does not mean she conceived that day. Sperm can live 72 hrs after mating

Tracy,

She has not pull fur or build nest. I have given her the nest box and she did burrow in it as in pushing the hay aside to make a hole.

She is not like my other does that will become hostile when they are pregnant. This girl is sweet and love to be touched.

BlueGiant,

I could feel kicks in her tummy and it could be seen. I have a regular vet that could help with x-ray. I am prepare to bring her for her Oxitox shots but the problem is, I do not want the kits to be born premature. I will bring her to the vets this weekend if she has not kindled by then.

Lias_ark,

You maybe right as she might have taken the buck on the last day and the conception only happens after 3 days. I hope that is the case because she may also have mated on the 9th itself and now it may be super overdue.

Thank you all for your kind advise. I shall bring her to the vets if she has not kindled by tonite when I get back from work.

LATEST UPDATES:

Noobie kindled finally. But it was all about deaths. It is so **** heart-wrenching. I only have one sole survivor and it better not be a PEANUT.

Here are some sad photos:

img_2622.jpg

img_2630.jpg

This is the only survivor, please pray for little Hope:

img_2634.jpg

Does it look like a peanut?

the one thats alive looks fine the hardest thing is keeping it warm when its by itself! Maybe if you have a heating pad you could use or something??

SHame about the others the last one certainly doesnt look formed right or peanutty but the one taht survived is a good size.

Good luck keep us upated

The survivor looks to be a decent size. Polly is right, you have to make sure he stays warm. Being alone, he'll have trouble maintaining proper body temperature. Can you keep him indoors, in a warm spot? Just take the whole nestbox with him to her twice a day to nurse.

Is the doe is OK. Is she acting normal? Start eating yet? (I don't really like the idea of leaving the doe with a buck for a week... to much chance someone is going to get hurt or something will go wrong.)

I'm so sorry about your babies, that is always hard to take. I will be praying for your survivor, hope it does ok. :pray:

Hi guys,

The little one's doing alright as I found it with a plump tummy this morning. Noobie is a great mommy. I saw her building nest and she is not shy with licking and nursing the baby right in front of me. A rare sight to behold because I have never seen this sort of behavior with my previous breedings.

Noobie is eating already. I saw her pulling fur in the nest box last nite and also creating a crater around the little one. They are indeed indoors at a corner of my kitchen area where there is no fan. 3 of my rabbits are indoors. Only 1 is outdoor in the shack that I built not too long ago. Soon they will all be indoors when we shift to our new place.

I did warm up the little one with a hot water bottle wrapped in towel just to stabilize its body temperature when it was born. Now it is all warm up in the nest with loads of hay and fur. We are experiencing rainy days lately and I hope it would not be a problem.

I am putting a lot of hope on this little fellow coz it was really a pity for the rest to have died because Noobie is such a great mother and she deserve to have more kits.

I am very sorry for the disturbing photos. I just wanted to share and hope it does not offend anyone.

Thank you all so much for the advice and prayers. I just do not know if I can take another death.

Tentatively I am naming this little one Hope.

What a sweet name for a promising new life. I'm impressed with Noobie. Isn't it incredible that after everything she's been through, she still iswilling tobe a great mother.

Thanks guys and gals.

I wanted to ask this question previously but I forgot about it while posting.

Looking at the photo of the dead kits, I was wondering the cause of death actually. I came up with this reasoning that different sizes in the kits would mean they were conceived on different dates.

Since Noobie was placed with the buck for a week, do you think that there were 2 succcessful matings that took place apart from each other. That being said, it was the undeveloped kit that was causing the delay. Because I just had this feeling that Noobie was overdued and most of the kits died because they were in the womb for too long. And the reason for the late kindling I thought may be attributed to "Mother Nature" waiting for that little last kit to finish its development.

Is that logical and could anyone shed some light as to why they died? They look so perfect and it still haunts me why they are born dead and week for the solid choc.

Thank you all once again for prayers and well wishes. Really appreciate it.

Fused

Generally, Mother Nature doesn't wait for the last kit to develop. When the first one is ready to go, contractions start and they all go. Looking at the photo's. I'd say there was more than one breeding, possibly 3(especially that we know she was with the buck for a week. Could the previous owner have misjudged the week she was with the buck?). I would venture to guess that the first baby born was either the very large one on the left or the live baby. It may have been blocking the opening of the uterus and may have delayed the births. The less developed fetus' were probably further back in the horn.

The important thing is she has one viable kit to care for and she is doing well. Has her milk dropped? Is she nursing today? (After this kit is weaned, I wouldn't hesitate breeding her again if you want to.)

BlueGiants,

Thank you so much for your insights. I strongly believe you are absolutely right.

I would not breed Noobie again that soon. I want her to recuperate first and get used to the environment here. I came to understand that does usually have kindling problems when switching barns let alone travelled acrossed the globe pregnant.

Both of them had just kindled before being bred again previously so I am definitely putting them on hold for another 2 - 3 months.

Noobie's vent is still quite damp and her bum is always lower than usual when she's taking a leak and that usually causes her fur to absorb the pee.

BTW, here's the picture of the kit today. I believe it has got a lot of milk:

img_2644.jpg

What a pretty little kit! Beautiful little thing. I love the color, is that blue? Opal?

It looks like it's doing well! Keep us posted.

Can't tell if it is opal or blue untilit isa little older.

To me, it almost looks like that little one died early. It stopped developing obviously. It seems as though it died in womb about a week before.

I think that baby is doing great! Good job Noobie.

Sharon

aw its doing well :)nice tubby tummy on it sounds like it hasa good mum. I have had does rear up one baby before just keep an eye out :)

Latest posts

Back